Shawne Merriman: Before and After Steroids

Passion

2005, 2006 Pre-Season, Current

Good lord.

Last week, MDS noted that Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman, who notched 17 sacks in only twelve games a year ago, believes that he's having his best season, even though he has chalked up 5.5 sacks through nine games in 2007.

On Sunday, Merriman had one tackle and no sacks, so he's stuck at 5.5 through ten games.

And our own Taco Bill has tracked down some photographic evidence that demonstrates the difference in Merriman of today, and of yesterday. Have a look.

These photos were not altered or doctored in any way by Taco Bill. According to ViewImages.com, the top photo was taken on May 5, 2005. The bottom photo was snapped on May 30, 2007. (To confirm, go to ViewImages.com, search "Shawne Merriman," and compare the head shot on page 7 to the head shot on page 20.)

Merriman played in only 12 games last season because he was suspended for four games for violation of the league's policy on anabolic steroids and related substances. He claimed that a supplement he was taking had been spiked with a steroid, and he made some noise at the time about suing the supplemental manufacturer. But, to date, it hasn't happened.

Much of the "real" media believed Merriman, culminating in the questionable (in our opinion) decision of the NFL to disclose during draft weekend 2007 numbers that Merriman had passed 19 of 20 drug tests imposed by the NFL.

Look, we're not saying that Merriman intentionally or knowingly took steroids. But there's a difference this year in his play, and there's clearly a difference in his appearance.

We had a feeling when we posted the before/after shots of Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman earlier today that we'd get some reaction.

Thus far, the reaction has been overwhelming.

Several readers initially insisted that Merriman is wearing his shoulder pads in the photo on the top, from May 2005. He isn't.

Said one of the readers in response to our representation that Merriman isn't wearing pads: "Holy crap!"

A league source offered up the identical reaction, and one prominent member of the media called the photo comparison "maybe the most jaw-dropping thing I've seen on your site."

And as MDS pointed out in a FanHouse posting on Monday, the "after" version of Merriman was blowed up by pint-sized Maurice Jones-Drew on Sunday in Jacksonville.

The "before" version of Merriman had an encounter with Chiefs running back Priest Holmes in 2005, and Holmes just returned to the field a couple of weeks ago.

Again, we're not saying that Merriman intentionally or knowingly took steroids or any other banned substance. But the photos are what they are.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Video of the Maurice Jones-Drew hit:

I am so glad the NFL has a stringent steroid testing policy that eliminates any and all potential offenders. The policy gives me peace of mind when watching the NFL, unlike that dirty MLB with its rampant drug use.

but for some reason, their media image isn't tarnished if they got caught with roids in the nfl... :mis2

espn has been treating merriman like he never did roids and it makes me think if espn's message to young people is that roids are okay for the nfl...

but it looks like merriman's power was all juice.

I'm absolutely no expert on the matter and someone should correct me if I'm wrong but I know from working in a Gold's Gym throughout college that one of the first signs of a guy getting really huge and using steroids or another foreign substance is how big the trapezius muscle (the neck muscle) gets. Pretty obvious on him here (the shoulder pad 'effect') and how that went away so much after he got off them.

Too bad it's bullsh*t.

I was wrong when I posted two photos Monday morning showing what I thought was Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman in 2005 and again in 2007.

I now believe that the 2005 photo was actually Merriman's head and neck photoshopped onto the chest and shoulders of a teammate, Jamal Williams. Merriman's 2005 photo is to the right; Williams' is to the left.

So what happened? Pro Football Talk speculates that because Merriman held out of minicamp in 2005, the Chargers didn't have him around when they took the official photos, and they just found an old photo of Merriman and pasted it onto Williams' body.

I got these photos from Getty Images, and I assume Getty Images would not have distributed the 2005 Merriman photo if it had had reason to believe it was doctored.

I still believe Merriman is not as good a player now as he was in his first two NFL seasons, and I still believe the fact that Merriman previously used steroids and no longer does is the most likely explanation. But I no longer believe that the bulky chest and shoulders you see in that photo above to the right belong to Shawne Merriman.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/11/19/...liams/#comments

Too bad it's bullsh*t.

I was wrong when I posted two photos Monday morning showing what I thought was Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman in 2005 and again in 2007.

I now believe that the 2005 photo was actually Merriman's head and neck photoshopped onto the chest and shoulders of a teammate, Jamal Williams. Merriman's 2005 photo is to the right; Williams' is to the left.

So what happened? Pro Football Talk speculates that because Merriman held out of minicamp in 2005, the Chargers didn't have him around when they took the official photos, and they just found an old photo of Merriman and pasted it onto Williams' body.

I got these photos from Getty Images, and I assume Getty Images would not have distributed the 2005 Merriman photo if it had had reason to believe it was doctored.

I still believe Merriman is not as good a player now as he was in his first two NFL seasons, and I still believe the fact that Merriman previously used steroids and no longer does is the most likely explanation. But I no longer believe that the bulky chest and shoulders you see in that photo above to the right belong to Shawne Merriman.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/11/19/...liams/#comments

:lol

Sorry guys.

I am so glad the NFL has a stringent steroid testing policy that eliminates any and all potential offenders. The policy gives me peace of mind when watching the NFL, unlike that dirty MLB with its rampant drug use.

but for some reason, their media image isn't tarnished if they got caught with roids in the nfl... :mis2

espn has been treating merriman like he never did roids and it makes me think if espn's message to young people is that roids are okay for the nfl...

but it looks like merriman's power was all juice.

Yep, its all ESPNs fault :|