Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Marlins may play a series in Puerto Rico in '08

Featured Replies

Calm down people, it's only one series. The Red Sox are opening the season in Japan, doesn't mean they're in any trouble.

Technically, it's the A's. And they're not exactly a model of long-term franchise security.

Point taken. Still, it's much ado about nothing.

 

I agree, and still disagree.

 

Any time you're talking about outsourcing home dates, there's an issue. It's not as if the Marlins some internationally popular franchise used to build popularity for baseball elsewhere (as the Yankees were when Tampa opened in Japan 3 years ago). It's not as if they're doing something gimmicky like Tampa this year when they take a series they know won't sell well and put it in a pseudo-market they should be drawing from and hope that the novelty sells them an extra 10,000 seats and maybe convinces an extra 1,000 fans to drive 45 minutes to Tropicana.

 

We're talking about a team that is no better than a coin flip to be playing in Miami in 2013, and far less than a coin flip to be playing somewhere other than Pro Player within the next 4 seasons. This is definitely eyebrow raising, to be sure. Especially given the secrecy around our 2008 schedule, to say nothing of the alleged inconsistencies in the schedule handed out to the fans. It's not a chicken little syndrome here, but something is definitely up. I mean, come on, you're talking about 3 games that are one of maybe a dozen throughout the year that guarantee a 25,000 fan turnout.

Calm down people, it's only one series. The Red Sox are opening the season in Japan, doesn't mean they're in any trouble.

 

Technically, it's the A's. And they're not exactly a model of long-term franchise security.

So, now, the A's are considering moving to Japan?

The decision to play in Puerto Rico is to capitalize on an opportunity, not to confirm your nightmares.

Calm down people, it's only one series. The Red Sox are opening the season in Japan, doesn't mean they're in any trouble.

 

Technically, it's the A's. And they're not exactly a model of long-term franchise security.

So, now, the A's are considering moving to Japan?

 

I don't think anyone has said that, and no one in their right mind would say that Puerto Rico is an alternative market to Miami. And, quite honestly, this team moving or being contracted is no longer a nightmare. In some respects, I welcome it.

Calm down people, it's only one series. The Red Sox are opening the season in Japan, doesn't mean they're in any trouble.

 

Technically, it's the A's. And they're not exactly a model of long-term franchise security.

So, now, the A's are considering moving to Japan?

 

I don't think anyone has said that, and no one in their right mind would say that Puerto Rico is an alternative market to Miami. And, quite honestly, this team moving or being contracted is no longer a nightmare. In some respects, I welcome it.

 

Why?

Any time you're talking about outsourcing home dates, there's an issue. It's not as if the Marlins some internationally popular franchise used to build popularity for baseball elsewhere (as the Yankees were when Tampa opened in Japan 3 years ago). It's not as if they're doing something gimmicky like Tampa this year when they take a series they know won't sell well and put it in a pseudo-market they should be drawing from and hope that the novelty sells them an extra 10,000 seats and maybe convinces an extra 1,000 fans to drive 45 minutes to Tropicana.

 

We're talking about a team that is no better than a coin flip to be playing in Miami in 2013, and far less than a coin flip to be playing somewhere other than Pro Player within the next 4 seasons. This is definitely eyebrow raising, to be sure. Especially given the secrecy around our 2008 schedule, to say nothing of the alleged inconsistencies in the schedule handed out to the fans. It's not a chicken little syndrome here, but something is definitely up. I mean, come on, you're talking about 3 games that are one of maybe a dozen throughout the year that guarantee a 25,000 fan turnout.

First of all, as the article states, it is "extremely preliminary". Nothing's official yet, so no reason to get hysterical.

 

Second, it's interesting that you mention the Yankees/Rays marketing exercise in Japan, because that's pretty much what I think this is. Now, remember this whole exercise is MLB's idea, not Loria's; you have to look at the big picture. Naturally, because it's Puerto Rico (strong NY ties), I would conclude that the key ingredient here would be the Mets, not the Marlins. The reason a Marlins home series was picked could simply be a matter of economics: from MLB's viewpoint, of all the Mets series available, the one in Miami is quite possibly the most expendable (for reasons I'm sure you know).

 

As for San Juan hosting an MLB franchise long-term or even temporarily -- I'm afraid that's no longer viable. Things have changed on the island -- politically, economically and culturally. Look no further than the demise of the PR Winter League for proof. It's a shame, really; but that's how it is. Even with all of Miami's faults, they'd be much better off staying here.

Any time you're talking about outsourcing home dates, there's an issue. It's not as if the Marlins some internationally popular franchise used to build popularity for baseball elsewhere (as the Yankees were when Tampa opened in Japan 3 years ago). It's not as if they're doing something gimmicky like Tampa this year when they take a series they know won't sell well and put it in a pseudo-market they should be drawing from and hope that the novelty sells them an extra 10,000 seats and maybe convinces an extra 1,000 fans to drive 45 minutes to Tropicana.

 

We're talking about a team that is no better than a coin flip to be playing in Miami in 2013, and far less than a coin flip to be playing somewhere other than Pro Player within the next 4 seasons. This is definitely eyebrow raising, to be sure. Especially given the secrecy around our 2008 schedule, to say nothing of the alleged inconsistencies in the schedule handed out to the fans. It's not a chicken little syndrome here, but something is definitely up. I mean, come on, you're talking about 3 games that are one of maybe a dozen throughout the year that guarantee a 25,000 fan turnout.

First of all, as the article states, it is "extremely preliminary". Nothing's official yet, so no reason to get hysterical.

 

Second, it's interesting that you mention the Yankees/Rays marketing exercise in Japan, because that's pretty much what I think this is. Now, remember this whole exercise is MLB's idea, not Loria's; you have to look at the big picture. Naturally, because it's Puerto Rico (strong NY ties), I would conclude that the key ingredient here would be the Mets, not the Marlins. The reason a Marlins home series was picked could simply be a matter of economics: from MLB's viewpoint, of all the Mets series available, the one in Miami is quite possibly the most expendable (for reasons I'm sure you know).

 

As for San Juan hosting an MLB franchise long-term or even temporarily -- I'm afraid that's no longer viable. Things have changed on the island -- politically, economically and culturally. Look no further than the demise of the PR Winter League for proof. It's a shame, really; but that's how it is. Even with all of Miami's faults, they'd be much better off staying here.

Well said Beetle, although I never saw Pueto Rico as a realistic site for MLB

Hello Portland/San Antonio

Corrected. :mischief

 

 

I doubt Portland or San Antonio will provide the Marlins a better stadium deal than what is currently being offered , politically i know stadium funding in just about everyplace in America is a non starter in Portland I doubt seriously any sort of funding of any signficance would be provided and as far as San Antonio goes I think as a market any baseball team there would encounter many of the same problems Miami/ Florida faces it is no secret Football is king in Texas , and the financial help San Antonio was to have provided was a ballot measure that was to be voted on by the public. I assure you powerfull biz interests would put up a fight against San Antonio increasing taxes on tourism industries to fund a stadium for baseball team which may or may not have much support . I still think this thing is 50/50 Loria is a negative given his track record and lack of funds , However what gives me hope is a lack of viable options and an agreement in a major market although not at the ideal location right there for the taking .

I see no problem playing a series there. In fact I wouldn't mind going there to see it. We have never been there and I understand it is a beautiful place. I also have a friend that has a home there someplace. Could prove to be a real fun mini vacation. Add in another trip to Cooperstown, only this time to watch Hawk being inducted, and it would make for a great summer.

I am guessing that season ticket holders would somehow be reimbursed for the dates. Best guess is that the value would go on account towards next season's purchase.

the red sox are playing a series in japan.

they're getting contracted.

 

 

Didn't realize it was just one series. It might even bring us more $.

  • Author

I'm just mad that they'd be moving a potential series against the Mutts out of

DS and subtracting games from season ticket holders.

I'm just mad that they'd be moving a potential series against the Mutts out of

DS and subtracting games from season ticket holders.

on the bright side there's only 6 season ticket holders

I'm just mad that they'd be moving a potential series against the Mutts out of

DS and subtracting games from season ticket holders.

on the bright side there's only 6 season ticket holders

 

yeah and by the looks of it they'll be zero by opening day.

I don't understand how you can see this as a positive.

 

This franchise needs to re-assure itself with the local market, not add more question marks.

just curious does anyone know what size crowds the expos drew when they played there ?

 

 

2004~748,550 In PR

 

 

I don't think those numbers are right...Hiram Bithorn Stadium has a capacity of 20K and I believe the Expos played 22 games there that season.

I'm just mad that they'd be moving a potential series against the Mutts out of

DS and subtracting games from season ticket holders.

on the bright side there's only 6 season ticket holders

 

yeah and by the looks of it they'll be zero by opening day.

 

I can't think of any other region that would have supposed fans almost bragging about this exagerration.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.