County Commission to vote on deal

CapeFish

Guest iFesta Touch

I am assuming that the commissioners are not going to invoke the "4 day rule" and vote on this ...this finally could be the day we have all been waiting for !

I think Burgess would shoot them Katy Sorenson and Natacha Seijas all if they invoked the 4 day rule.

:mischief

Guest iFesta Touch

So if they vote yes.... then what happens?

This would allow the county and the city to go ahead and finalize the deal with the Marlins. Reading over the county's memo, it appears as if the Marlins and local government have worked out all their major differences. Tomorrow is really the last major hurdle. If it passes, the rest would just be formalities.

This would allow the county and the city to go ahead and finalize the deal with the Marlins. Reading over the county's memo, it appears as if the Marlins and local government have worked out all their major differences. Tomorrow is really the last major hurdle. If it passes, the rest would just be formalities.

formalities....

so this could be a done deal by the end of the week?

Guest iFesta Touch

formalities....

so this could be a done deal by the end of the week?

Doubt it.

:pray

Guest iFesta Touch

There is almost no-doubt it will pass (Miami Herald has 9 confirmed Yay votes). What could put off the potential celebration is some commissioner (COUGHSORENSONORSEIJASCOUGH) invoking the 4 day rule and putting off the inevitable until January.

In reality, they really should not invoke the 4 day rule because some of these projects have been on the city and county's agenda for nearly 20 years. It would just be a case of a commissioner (COUGHSORENSONORSEIJASCOUGH) trying to make some type of point.

Guest iFesta Touch

Even if the package does win a majority, the last-minute nature of the deal leaves it vulnerable to a parliamentary attack. County rules allow any commissioner to defer a proposal if the details are not released within four working days of the vote -- a deadline the administration failed to meet.

''I hope they deliver it [Friday],'' said Commissioner Natacha Seijas. ``If not, there's no way of being able to make a decision for something that serious.''

Invoking the so-called ''four-day rule'' would likely push the vote to Jan. 10. That delay might cause problems for the port and ballpark projects, which involve private companies that might not be willing to wait.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/breaking_d...ory/344560.html

Guest iFesta Touch

The Four Day Rule will not be in effect!!!

''It makes me angry,'' said Commissioner Natacha Seijas, who said at 3:30 p.m. she had not been provided ''a single piece of paper'' and was hoping to be briefed later by Assistant County Manager Ian Yorty.

''I cannot imagine making decisions without being thoroughly informed,'' Seijas said.

A benefit of the special-meeting setting: Rules allowing any one of 13 county commissioners to single-handedly postpone an issue won't be in effect. That means a vote is more than likely to take place.

Any delay -- such as moving the vote back a month -- could imperil the port tunnel deal, for instance.

Waiting until January would be ''a very, very bad scenario,'' said Johnny Martinez, district secretary for the Florida Department of Transportation.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/breaking_n...ory/348480.html

:notworthy

Stop bitching Seijas!

I don't see how a yes vote immediately means a stadium deal is done. Have we heard from Loria yet, saying, "I'm agreeable to all the terms, and I'll sign off on the deal if the vote is yes?" I don't think so, and this is the same Loria that nixed a deal years ago over 30 million. There would still be a contract that needed to be signed, and any number of reasons that Loria can potentially find to tweak the deal. As an example, what if he insists on a split of cost overruns, instead of the Marlins bearing 100% responsibility. Have we heard anything from MLB? So far, the only one we've heard from is Samson, which means the deal would be about as 100% definite as a condom with pinholes. I've been busy with work so maybe I missed something(if so, I'm sure someone will correct me).

I don't see how a yes vote immediately means a stadium deal is done. Have we heard from Loria yet, saying, "I'm agreeable to all the terms, and I'll sign off on the deal if the vote is yes?" I don't think so, and this is the same Loria that nixed a deal years ago over 30 million. There would still be a contract that needed to be signed, and any number of reasons that Loria can potentially find to tweak the deal. As an example, what if he insists on a split of cost overruns, instead of the Marlins bearing 100% responsibility. Have we heard anything from MLB? So far, the only one we've heard from is Samson, which means the deal would be about as 100% definite as a condom with pinholes. I've been busy with work so maybe I missed something(if so, I'm sure someone will correct me).

Pretty much MLB, the Marlins, and the city/county met to discuss the deal...MLB is much more aware of the situation and I have a good feeling that after the Willis and Cabrera trade, they would assume command if Loria does anything stupid.

This to me seems to be the last major hurdle and if/when this passes, it'll just be the details that need to be worked out...

Guest iFesta Touch

When has Loria ever spoken out about any deal?

Samson is his mouth.

Loria didn't nix a deal a few years ago over $30 million. That deal fell apart because of the state and a potentially sub-standard lease that saw the city getting certain %s of revenues. Samson directly negotiating with Joe Arriola did not help much either. Especially when Arriola was undermining the entire process all along in hopes of getting Loria to sell to Cisneros. Come on, it was not that simple.

Times have changed. The Marlins will control 100% of revenues. Arriola is gone. And Major League Baseball is directly involved.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.