Olivo to sign with Royals

Admin

Royals have reportedly agreed to terms with catcher Miguel Olivo, who had been with the Marlins, on a one-year contract with a mutual option for 2009.

Terms of the deal haven't been disclosed yet. Olivo's career hitting line of .239/.275/.405 is very close to John Buck's career mark of .237/.297/.408, so it's unclear how the Royals plan to divvy up playing time between the right-handed hitters. Both players have good power for the position, but possess horrible on-base skills and struggle against right-handed pitching. Olivo was non-tendered by the Marlins earlier this month after hitting just .237/.262/.405 in 2007.

--- RotoWorld.com

our gain is their loss.......let him go suck somewhere else....KC should immediately fire their GM

yea, Olivo would be a terrible guy to have on the bench

:rolleyes:

Very meh.

I'd like for my backup catcher to be able to have a decent AB and be better than a sheet of chickenwire defensively..

he will still put up more productive numbers than Rabello or Treanor. He probably wont be having many decent AB's but he will still be able to hit a couple of jacks in that stadium.

our gain is their loss.......let him go suck somewhere else....KC should immediately fire their GM

yea, Olivo would be a terrible guy to have on the bench

:rolleyes:

Very meh.

I'd like for my backup catcher to be able to have a decent AB and be better than a sheet of chickenwire defensively..

he will still put up more productive numbers than Rabello or Treanor. He probably wont be having many decent AB's but he will still be able to hit a couple of jacks in that stadium.

he certainly did not put up more productive numbers than Treanor

Treanor's .749 OPS in 2007 was better than either of Olivo's 2 seasons in teal

Olivo is a trend setter who will be missed , Olivo introduced the concept of a major league catcher who cant actually catch the ball

Yes, that non-skill first and foremost. Second was the play at the plate KO or TKO. That was enjoyable, but not worth the rest of the package.

Is the backstop behind home in KC the same, closer, or further than at Joe Robbie?

I think it's safe to assume that Rabelo or Treanor could top Miguel Olivo's .667 OPS. An even safer bet would to assume they could top his .262 OBP.

Olivo sucks as a starter but I would bet that our '08 catchers don't match Olivo's Marlins OPS (.696) or that they do as good a job as he did erasing base runners on the bases.

I'd be willing to be that whoever gets more at bats between Treanor and Rabelo, that player will have a better than .700 OPS

I think it's safe to assume that Rabelo or Treanor could top Miguel Olivo's .667 OPS. An even safer bet would to assume they could top his .262 OBP.

Olivo sucks as a starter but I would bet that our '08 catchers don't match Olivo's Marlins OPS (.696) or that they do as good a job as he did erasing base runners on the bases.

I'd be willing to be that whoever gets more at bats between Treanor and Rabelo, that player will have a better than .700 OPS

Okay, I'll bet a $1 that he doesn't OPS over .700 and another $1 that his CS% is lower than Olivo's CS% with the Marlins (35.71%).

Okay, I'll bet a $1 that he doesn't OPS over .700 and another $1 that his CS% is lower than Olivo's CS% with the Marlins (35.71%).

:thumbup

And how about passed balls and errors? Who will have more of those?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.