Livan still loves Miami

Admin

Free agent Livan Hernandez said he'd love to pitch for the Marlins, but "they don't have any money."

Except they do have plenty of money, and they'll almost surely be one of baseball's most profitable teams next year. They just don't want to spend it on players. The Hernandez front has been quiet for weeks now. The Mets seem to be pursuing Kyle Lohse over him, and there hasn't been anyone else that he's known to have talked to lately.

--- RotoWorld.com

He'll probably want at least $2-3 million. I don't really see the point. We aren't competing next year and we have a lot of young pitching talent that needs to be refined and groomed for a starting rotation spot.

Outside of pure nostalgia, this signing makes little sense due to his cost.

The Marlins are better than teams like Kansas City and Baltimore because they don't sign washed up, overpaid veterans.

But at the same time he could eat 200 innings and not "force" Nolasco or Vanden Hurk into starting from day 1 if they need more time. Likewise to protect Volstad/Gaby/Anibals innings when they eventually get to the big club. I wouldn't mind it if the organization thinks it needs to protect some of the pitchers. (And if Livan understands he would be traded in July if all of the young pitching comes through).

We honestly do not have 5 arms that are better than Livan right now, so I think signing Livan could make sense. I understand the cry of "we need to groom the young pitching," but we aren't going to throw anyone to the wolves. Livan could fit what we are trying to do short term.

And maybe help teach the youngsters how to throw that sick 60 mph changeup and that it is not all about throwing as hard as you can.

We honestly do not have 5 arms that are better than Livan right now, so I think signing Livan could make sense. I understand the cry of "we need to groom the young pitching," but we aren't going to throw anyone to the wolves. Livan could fit what we are trying to do short term.

And maybe help teach the youngsters how to throw that sick 60 mph changeup and that it is not all about throwing as hard as you can.

I wouldn't mind seeing him in the mentor role. Undoubtedly he would be a big help teaching the kids. It's a couldn't hurt type thing.

2 million a year is not a lot of money.

The point of signing Livan is that we don't have to overexpose the young guys. Also, Livan could put together a nice little year and be excellent trade bait at the deadline as Lou alluded to.

For anything less than 3 million we should sign him.

2.5mil for a year would be well worth it even if he puts up a 4.50 ERA. The fact is there's not one marlin pitcher on our staff that can be counted on to throw 200 innings and Livan is a prooven work horse. He would be extremely valuable as a #2 starter who you can count on for atleast 6 innings every start.

Guest RichWaltzLoveChild

It's funny how people inside the game (Livan, Paul LoDuca, others) believe the Marlins have no money and the people on the outside (rotoworld, etc.) think they have hordes.

Just an observation. Feel free to bash away.

I seriously doubt the Livan Hernandez's and Paul LoDuca's of the baseball world know what the hell they're talking about. Have you ever heard Paul LoDuca speak?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.