NFC Championship Game

yankeefan21

This is pretty much a dream matchup. I think the Giants and Packers were probably the two teams toughest to root against in the NFC playoffs. Another nice thing about this matchup is that the fans of these teams have a real mutual respect for each other much like the respect between the faces of their respective franchises; Favre and Strahan.

On the one hand - how can you hate the Packer fans? These fans actually OWN their team! You are talking about people that accept minimum wage [though they would do it for free if it were legal] to clear snow from their beloved field...

On the other hand - how can you hate Giants fans? When everyone was mocking THE FANS and calling them sellouts for "dumping" their Giants-Pats tickets what did you see/hear on game day? Nothing but support and mania for Big Blue. You've got fans that respond to a big hit by their D or RB or TE as enthusiastically as most fans respond to a TD pass. These are people that understand hardnosed football...

I'm sure the Chargers-NE game will be entertaining. I'm sure the fans in Foxboro will enjoy another - hohum - win. For my money, though, I don't think you will be able to beat the atmosphere in Lambeau Field this weekend. This is what football is all about!

I'd wager that the majority of unbiased fans will root for Green Bay. There is always a sympathetic trend toward the 'underdog', which in this case is 38 year-old Favre. Even though he's playing like a kid again, everyone knows this is probably his last chance.

That, and I hate Eli for his feminine features.

I'd wager that the majority of unbiased fans will root for Green Bay. There is always a sympathetic trend toward the 'underdog', which in this case is 38 year-old Favre. Even though he's playing like a kid again, everyone knows this is probably his last chance.

This isn't as big as John Elway's "last chance" in Super Bowl XXXII. Brett has won one before.

That, and I hate Eli for his feminine features.

It's the "Manning face", isn't it? :mischief

There is always a sympathetic trend toward the 'underdog', which in this case is 38 year-old Favre. Even though he's playing like a kid again, everyone knows this is probably his last chance.

have to disagree, Favre may be the more heart warming story but I don't see how a #2 seed is an underdog to a #5 seed that was supposed to be in a rebuilding year with a lame duck coach and a quarterback everyone hates on. No one can be an underdog to the Giants at this point.

There is always a sympathetic trend toward the 'underdog', which in this case is 38 year-old Favre. Even though he's playing like a kid again, everyone knows this is probably his last chance.

have to disagree, Favre may be the more heart warming story but I don't see how a #2 seed is an underdog to a #5 seed that was supposed to be in a rebuilding year with a lame duck coach and a quarterback everyone hates on. No one can be an underdog to the Giants at this point.

I'm not referring to the team as an underdog. I'm referring to the player, as I see it. And the context is Brett Favre's career, not one season.

looks like the packers plan backfired...

No "Seinfeld" for Eli? Jerry to the rescue following TV prank

By DINESH RAMDE, Associated Press Writer

January 18, 2008

MILWAUKEE (AP) -- For a show that was about nothing, the hubbub around it has certainly turned into something.

A Green Bay television station decided to have some fun this week after employees discovered that Giants quarterback Eli Manning's favorite show is "Seinfeld." Station officials decided to pull the episode scheduled for Saturday afternoon and replace it with a different program chosen by viewers.

Manning and his New York teammates will be in town to play the Green Bay Packers in the NFC championship game Sunday afternoon.

News of WLUK-TV's decision apparently reached Jerry Seinfeld himself.

"I'm going to send Eli a complete collection of 'Seinfeld' DVDs and a partial collection of 'Hogan's Heroes' for inspiration," the comedian told the New York Post on Thursday.

"You think I'm going to take that sitting down?"

Jay Zollar, the Fox station's general manager, laughed when he heard of Seinfeld's response. Zollar joked that the offer actually plays into the station's master plan of preventing Manning from being master of the domain on Sunday.

"Now he (Manning) will be up all night watching 'Seinfeld' -- there will be no sleep for you," he said, parodying the Soup Nazi episode in which a server admonishes noncompliant customers with, "No soup for you!"

Manning said Friday the whole affair was amusing.

"Yeah, it's pretty funny," he said. "You've got to enjoy it."

Manning added that he already has the entire "Seinfeld" collection.

"I've seen every episode anyway, so I'm not going to miss anything on it," he said. "Again, you take it all in, you smile at it and you don't really give it a lot of thought."

A message from The Associated Press relayed to Seinfeld's publicist through his lawyer was not immediately returned Friday.

The station let viewers vote on the show to replace the pulled "Seinfeld" episode.

Of about 3,700 votes cast, some 60 percent were for a 30-minute special about former Packers coach Vince Lombardi called "God, Family and the Green Bay Packers."

The other choices included a rerun of "The Donald Driver Show" from Monday, "M*A*S*H" and an infomercial starring former Dallas Cowboy Emmitt Smith.

The pre-empted "Seinfeld" episode is "The Mango" from Season 5. In the show Cosmo Kramer gets booted from a fruit store for trying to return a bad peach, George Costanza suffers impotence, yada yada yada.

Zollar said most people realized his station's move was in jest, but some thought the station should be treating the Giants better.

"Some people think we're mean," he said. "Some say we're not welcoming, that we should be gracious hosts, we should invite them in and be nice to their quarterback."

He said he doesn't understand how people could interpret the move as a sincere attempt at sabotage.

"Obviously, Eli coming to Green Bay, coming to watch a TV show at 5:30 p.m. the night before the game, it's pretty unlikely," he said.

Associated Press sports writer Tom Canavan in East Rutherford, N.J., contributed to this report.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-n...p&type=lgns

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.