Chris Shelton

Pnino

I have to admit my memory of Shelton's 2006 start is vague if even that and since then his historical stats would indicate (at least to me) that he's a guy who made it to the majors and couldn't stick for reasons as much of his doing as anything lese. If you do back to 2006/2007 Leyland talks about him as if he's going to be their starting first baseman for a long time to come so the only thing I can surmise is it was his inability at the ML level that stalled or perhaps ended his major league career.

Chris Shelton Career Stats:

7 Minor League Seasons: .311 Avg. .412 OBP .500 SLG .912 OPS

3 Major League Seasons: .281 Avg. .348 OBP .477 SLG .825 OPS

Mike Jacobs Career Stats:

8 Minor League Seasons: .287 Avg. .344 OBP .471 SLG .815 OPS

3 Major League Seaons: .268 Avg. .327 OBP .490 SLG .817 OPS

Just for fun, name these players...

.281/.348/.477; 825 through 807 Major League ABs

.311/.412/.500; 912 through 1793 Minor League ABs

.268/.327/.490; 817 through 995 Major League ABs

.287/.344/.471; 815 through 2078 Minor League ABs

EDIT: Oh sh*t, someone beat me to it. My dramaticism has been depleted.

I am no fan of Mike Jacobs but he has had some nagging injuries that are deflating his numbers. I am curious to see how he would perform in a full season, but I would not object to him splitting time with another first baseman.

I'd love to give Jake a full season, provided he stays healthy. He's streaky, but it's not like we're playing to contend in 2008, so I don't think giving him one more year at 1B would hurt. I don't think Shelton would be our future 1B anyway, so I don't see the point of bringing him in to push Jacobs.

You guys are ridiculous.

You bring in every player possible to spring training and let them sort it out. Shelton is legitimate competition to Jacobs. Maybe it would light a fire under one of their asses to reach their .850+ OPS potential.

I think most of the posts in this thread agreed with you

Just for fun, name these players...

.281/.348/.477; 825 through 807 Major League ABs

.311/.412/.500; 912 through 1793 Minor League ABs

.268/.327/.490; 817 through 995 Major League ABs

.287/.344/.471; 815 through 2078 Minor League ABs

EDIT: Oh sh*t, someone beat me to it. My dramaticism has been depleted.

jacobs AB 2B HR RBI AVG

995 71 48 141 268

chris 807 39 35 109 281

I understand why a lot of people here are of the belief that bringing in as many players as you can roundup for sping training is a good thing and to a degree I don't disagree but the reality is there is only going to be so much playing time, so much coaching and evaluation time, and at some point all these bodies become counter-productive for the team and for the players themselves.

I guarantee you there will be in every spring training camp players who are fully major league capable who are going to be completely overlooked only because of time constraints and the physics of coaches and evaluators not being able to be in two places at once. I think the Marlins are getting dangerously close to point which is not to say there isn't room for another quality competitor at third or even another player or two generally, but my guess we're nearly full up and ought to not be inviting every Chris Shelton (folks, I just using him because he's out there, I have no axe to grind I promise) into camp at this point in our recruiting.

I understand why a lot of people here are of the belief that bringing in as many players as you can roundup for sping training is a good thing and to a degree I don't disagree but the reality is there is only going to be so much playing time, so much coaching and evaluation time, and at some point all these bodies become counter-productive for the team and for the players themselves.

I guarantee you there will be in every spring training camp players who are fully major league capable who are going to be completely overlooked only because of time constraints and the physics of coaches and evaluators not being able to be in two places at once. I think the Marlins are getting dangerously close to point which is not to say there isn't room for another quality competitor at third or even another player or two generally, but my guess we're nearly full up and ought to not be inviting every Chris Shelton (folks, I just using him because he's out there, I have no axe to grind I promise) into camp at this point in our recruiting.

that is true but bringing in players that could potentially improve the big club can never be viewed as a bad thing. it's not like this guy has done nothing at the major league level and we're hoping he makes something happen this year. now if we startbringing in guys like abercrombie who are all tools and showed nothing in there career we have a problem

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.