Marlins Sign Hendrickson

As for your question 2003, I would have loved to get Jennings. Normalizing his numbers from Coors, he was a slightly below average-average pitcher up to 2006, when he was very much above average. I think he could put up a mid-4 ERA in our park (likely), maybe low-4.

Hey it was rhetorical, we'll see. :mis2

I don't think coming off elbow surgery he's worth $2,500,000 more than Hendrickson, or that his numbers in Houston are going to go down, not in Minute Maid.

Wait until he's looking at 315 and 325 down the lines. You know what his numbers were pitching in Minute Maid? 8.10 (ERA) in 2005, 7.94 in 2006 and 6.91 in an abbreviated 2007 for a three year average of 7.11 ERA.

Respectfully Nny, I think you're dreaming if you think he's a mid- to low 4 guy pitching half his games in that park. There's no historcial evidence he even gets close to that number.

I'd almost be willing to bet if they both stay healthy Hendrickson has a lower home ERA than Jennings come the end of the season.

OOPS !!! I misread your post. I see now where you think he could be mid to low 4s in "OUR" park. I'm leaving the post intact anyways. But in case anyone wants to look it up he's only pitched here once in the last four years and got shelled his one time out, his ERA over 7 for that game.

OOPS !!! I misread your post. I see now where you think he could be mid to low 4s in "OUR" park. I'm leaving the post intact anyways.

:thumbup

Also I personally don't put much stock into what he did in Houston. Basically every start he made, he went out their injured. I realize that surgery doesn't mean a guy is going to come back at 100%, but I think chances are he'll go back to atleast being at worst slightly below average (which, as sad as it is, with most team's pitching depth, that's not a bad thing haha....).

I think you missed the part where he was a Colorado Rockie and not an Astro (2005-2006) and he was healthy then, his ERAs at Minute Maid were actually higher than 2007. Not to repeat myself, but 8.10 and 7.94 ERAs at MM and healthy does not portend for good things in the future.

But we'll have to wait and see...

Back on the topic at hand..........Rotoworld believes that Olsen, Mitre, and Hendrickson are locks for the rotation, Miller is a "strong favorite," and the 5th spot is up for grabs between Vanden Hurk, Nolasco, and Seddon.

Marlins signed LHP Mark Hendrickson, who had been with the Dodgers, to a one-year, $1.5 million contract. He can make an extra $500,000 in incentives. The Marlins needed to add at least one innings-eater, and Hendrickson will serve well enough. The 33-year-old was 4-8 with a 5.21 ERA and a 92/29 K/BB ratio in 122 2/3 innings for the Dodgers last year. He'll likely join Scott Olsen and Sergio Mitre in Florida's rotation. Andrew Miller would be the heavy favorite for another spot, leaving one opening for Rick VandenHurk, Ricky Nolasco or Chris Seddon. Anibal Sanchez and Chris Volstad could enter the picture by May or June.

great post! Maybe Nolasco will be in the pen after all

A lot of you are missing the point with this signing in my opinion. You're lamenting about how he sucks and how he is a rays reject and how they should have used the money for other uses.

He's a bridge to our minor league pitching. Beinfest has obviously determined he needs disposable innings at the MLB level for at least the first 3-4 months in the season (I agree), and now he has that. Hendrickson is proven at this level. It might not be pretty and he might not be good, but he'll eat innings better than Waecther/Barone/Seddon/Caravajal and allow Nolasco to come back slowly and 'skip' starts in April when a 5th starter is not required. This also allows Anibal not to rush back from injury because there is no longer a need to have just anyone throw for the club. This also allows Vanden Hurk to go to the bullpen and destroy people in inning bursts, or go to AAA and start to work on his secondary pitches. This also allows Gaby and Volstad to get another 100 innings in the minors to further develop, AND, not start their arbitration clock by rushing them to the big league level from day 1. This also gives the Marlins a professional veteran arm to help with the kids, and while some mock him as believing Hendrickson should teach them 'don't do what I do because I suck,' there is some minute value at having a guy who has been around for awhile on the staff. This also gives the Marlins an additional pitcher (Gregg, Mitre, J. Miller, Gardner) to hopefully trade at the break and create more longterm organizational depth. I'm very interested in that last one. I can see a 50% pitching staff turnover in July, and we'd probably be upgrading from within.

So...he can fill the role that Dontrelle would have had....just for 6 million less.....and at the cost of lesser ability and leadership. That works for Loria.

If anything, I was thrilled about the signing, seriously,only because it represented some new news about the team. We, as marlin fans, are stuck with getting excited about mediocre players and signings, but that is the way it is. Just look back at the hot stove league discussions while we were chasing Delgado-that was exciting. This is what we are left with and we embrace it because it is all we have. AND each other.

very true

Back on the topic at hand..........Rotoworld believes that Olsen, Mitre, and Hendrickson are locks for the rotation, Miller is a "strong favorite," and the 5th spot is up for grabs between Vanden Hurk, Nolasco, and Seddon.

Marlins signed LHP Mark Hendrickson, who had been with the Dodgers, to a one-year, $1.5 million contract. He can make an extra $500,000 in incentives. The Marlins needed to add at least one innings-eater, and Hendrickson will serve well enough. The 33-year-old was 4-8 with a 5.21 ERA and a 92/29 K/BB ratio in 122 2/3 innings for the Dodgers last year. He'll likely join Scott Olsen and Sergio Mitre in Florida's rotation. Andrew Miller would be the heavy favorite for another spot, leaving one opening for Rick VandenHurk, Ricky Nolasco or Chris Seddon. Anibal Sanchez and Chris Volstad could enter the picture by May or June.

Nolasco and his sick curve needs to be in the roto.

Nolasco, if I remember correctly was nowhere near back either in organizational ball or later in the AFL and might be one one of the reasons we're bringing in all these guys with sound arms. Just wild speculation on my part, but maybe Nolasco isn't ready to contribute this spring ala Sanchez. I don't think he's pitching anywhere this winter (at least I can't find him) and may be shut down.

I'm in no hurry with either player.

Nolasco and his sick curve needs to be in the roto.

Obviously I agree, but there's no way Nolasco loses a job to Hurk or Seddon.

Nolasco, if I remember correctly was nowhere near back either in organizational ball or later in the AFL and might be one one of the reasons we're bringing in all these guys with sound arms. Just wild speculation on my part, but maybe Nolasco isn't ready to contribute this spring ala Sanchez. I don't think he's pitching anywhere this winter (at least I can't find him) and may be shut down.

This was my thinking the whole time. I'm glad to see someone else agrees.

This was my thinking the whole time. I'm glad to see someone else agrees.

I agree with no rush.

Wasn't it Nolasco's BIL that was on here almost weekly saying he was coming back that week? If I remember correctly he got as far as AAA and then was shut down for the off season. He didn't quite have the control back or something.

That's 1.5 million that could have been used on Cabrera

That only leaves a $198.5 million deficit after he becomes a free agent.

He just signed a 1 year deal for $11.3 mil. Detroit wants to sign him long term but his agent had them do a 1 year deal supposedly so they can continue negotiations without the worry of arbitration. IMO, they will have to come up BIG to get him to sign long term there. I'm not so sure he can get the promotional dollar there he can make in a larger market like LA, Boston, Chicago, or NYC. But... The Tigers may have to halt season ticket sales very soon. Rumors are they have reached about 30,000 so far and they can't go much beyond that. Maybe he can get the advertisement dollar there.

He just signed a 1 year deal for $11.3 mil. Detroit wants to sign him long term but his agent had them do a 1 year deal supposedly so they can continue negotiations without the worry of arbitration. IMO, they will have to come up BIG to get him to sign long term there. I'm not so sure he can get the promotional dollar there he can make in a larger market like LA, Boston, Chicago, or NYC. But... The Tigers may have to halt season ticket sales very soon. Rumors are they have reached about 30,000 so far and they can't go much beyond that. Maybe he can get the advertisement dollar there.

WOW! That is impressive. Maybe one day the Fish will be able to sell tickets that way. :shrugs

WOW! That is impressive. Maybe one day the Fish will be able to sell tickets that way. :shrugs

I thought it was pretty impressive, too. Can the Marlins do that? I doubt it. Not even before the new car smell wears off the new pond. I am normally a very optimistic guy, but it has been pounded into me to be very pessimistic when it comes to fandom in South Florida. I look at it as just the way things are here. Kinda like I know when I hit the turnpike that within the first 50 miles there is going to be at least 5 different cars in the fast lane driving 10 MPH under the traffic flow while talking on their cell phone. And at least one person will ride my blind spot for miles and then flip me off when I do a fake move to change lanes.