Marlins Sign Hendrickson

MarlinFan10

No thread on this yet? Seriously

Miamiherald.com:

The Marlins got a lot taller Wednesday. Whether they got any better with the signing of 6-foot-9-inch lefty Mark Hendrickson remains to be seen.

Hendrickson, one of the tallest players in the majors, signed a one-year contract with the Marlins and was added to the 40-man roster.

''Mark gives us another quality left-handed arm in our rotation and his experience and veteran leadership should benefit our clubhouse,'' Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez said in a statement.

Hendrickson, 33, went 4-8 with a 5.21 earned-run average with the Los Angeles Dodgers last season. He appeared in a 39 games, 24 of those in relief.

Over his career, Hendrickson is 43-55 with a 5.01 ERA while playing for the Dodgers, Tampa Bay Devil Rays and Toronto Blue Jays. He also played parts of four seasons in the NBA with Philadelphia, Sacramento, New Jersey and Cleveland.

The Marlins on Wednesday also announced the signing of left-handed pitcher Randy Williams to a minor-league contract and extended a spring training invitation to minor-league infielder Gaby Sanchez.

I approve.

Wow, this is a great signing. Let Wiley work his magic on him, and everything'll be gravy.

Don't like it. Wiley is gonna have to do a lot more than magic to fix this guys stuff. He needs to bring out the Voodoo doctor, the Wizard of Oz, and that chick from I Dream of Genie. Maybe they can all work together to help bring down that ERA of his. :confused

Mark Hendrickson has a 43-55 record with a 5.01 ERA and a 1.45 WHIP over his career. Why waste innings on a pitcher that has had enough experience to prove that he's not any good? The Marlins should just let the kids take their lumps this season because they have absolutely no shot of even being a .500 team in 2008.

I don't understand where he fits? We've got two lefties in our rotation and two in the bullpen...

I'm a little lost on that too. With both Miller and Olsen its hard to see Hendrickson in the rotation, and we've got Mitre, VandenHurk, and Nolasco filling up the other spots. The only thing I can see him doing is long relief and emergency starts. You got to wonder if the signing was only for the sake of having a veteran pitcher somehwere in the mix, even if he's not used and spends his time "giving advice" to young pitchers.

I don't understand where he fits? We've got two lefties in our rotation and two in the bullpen...

I'm a little lost on that too. With both Miller and Olsen its hard to see Hendrickson in the rotation, and we've got Mitre, VandenHurk, and Nolasco filling up the other spots. The only thing I can see him doing is long relief and emergency starts. You got to wonder if the signing was only for the sake of having a veteran pitcher somehwere in the mix, even if he's not used and spends his time "giving advice" to young pitchers.

What kind of advice could Hendrickson give them? Don't pitch the way that I do because I stink.

What kind of advice could Hendrickson give them? Don't pitch the way that I do because I stink.

Well, he has been used as long relief numerous times in the past. Maybe he will serve the same purpose here? When our young kids stink it up, throw in Hendrickson to eat up some innings. Save some of our arms in the front as well as in the back. :unsure

Well, he has been used as long relief numerous times in the past. Maybe he will serve the same purpose here? When our young kids stink it up, throw in Hendrickson to eat up some innings. Save some of our arms in the front as well as in the back. :unsure

Hopefully that was the way the Marlins were thinking when they signed him, and he will recieve no consideration for the rotation.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.