March 27, 200818 yr After watching his performance today on SNY (DirecTV channel 625) I get very nervous. Yes he hit the HR, and it was a BOMB, but did it make up for the lack of infield play that earlier help put up the Mets 2-0. You can't hit a HR every game, or even get and RBI, but can stink defensively and cost your team runs every game or just about every game. I'm just very nervous about this guy :blink:
March 27, 200818 yr After watching his performance today on SNY (DirecTV channel 625) I get very nervous. Yes he hit the HR, and it was a BOMB, but did it make up for the lack of infield play that earlier help put up the Mets 2-0. You can't hit a HR every game, or even get and RBI, but can stink defensively and cost your team runs every game or just about every game. I'm just very nervous about this guy :blink: His defense wasn't even a factor in the game, and I can't see him being any worse then Cabrera was defensively. Cabrera is gone, who else would you feel more comfortable starting at 3rd?
March 27, 200818 yr Yeah, that 2-0 was entirely because of Ricky. I didn't see anything that made it Cantu's fault. He wasn't able to make a play on the bunt that was put down, but I don't thing he had a play anyways. It was the walks that got that 2-0 down.
March 27, 200818 yr After watching his performance today on SNY (DirecTV channel 625) I get very nervous. Yes he hit the HR, and it was a BOMB, but did it make up for the lack of infield play that earlier help put up the Mets 2-0. You can't hit a HR every game, or even get and RBI, but can stink defensively and cost your team runs every game or just about every game. I'm just very nervous about this guy :blink: His defense wasn't even a factor in the game, and I can't see him being any worse then Cabrera was defensively. Cabrera is gone, who else would you feel more comfortable starting at 3rd? Historically speaking, he's been a lot worse than Cabrera (He's been on Braun-like level). And Cabrera also atleast has a cannon.
March 27, 200818 yr Clearly, he's not good defensively, and stop mentioning Cabrera and him in the same sentence, period. However, I think he can smash 20-25 HR's for us this year...if defense becomes a problem (which I do think it will), Alfredo Amezaga can be used late in the game at 3B, since he won't be needed as much in the outfield this year. And Amezaga can play any position just fine.
March 27, 200818 yr The times I have seen him play this Spring he simply wasn't nearly as bad defensively as some here are making him out to be. Plus getting more time in at the position he will surely get even better. I don't see a GG in his future, but I don't see him embarassing himself with his glove either. In 2-3 years we will most likely be seeing last year's #1 draft pick there anyway.
March 27, 200818 yr The times I have seen him play this Spring he simply wasn't nearly as bad defensively as some here are making him out to be. Plus getting more time in at the position he will surely get even better. I don't see a GG in his future, but I don't see him embarassing himself with his glove either. In 2-3 years we will most likely be seeing last year's #1 draft pick there anyway. Exactly...No one is anointing Cantu a Gold Glove, but some of you on here are acting like the guy's on the hot corner with out a glove and blindfolded. From the ST games I have been to this year he has looked adequate and like mentioned above will only get better with experience at 3b.
March 27, 200818 yr The times I have seen him play this Spring he simply wasn't nearly as bad defensively as some here are making him out to be. Plus getting more time in at the position he will surely get even better. I don't see a GG in his future, but I don't see him embarassing himself with his glove either. In 2-3 years we will most likely be seeing last year's #1 draft pick there anyway. Yes, this is a moot point entirely... he is not the future, he's a stopgap, who cares how he performs... we're probably not gonna win anything big this year... and I highly HIGHLY doubt it's his defense keeping us from attaining that goal. Dominguez in 2010! :thumbup
March 28, 200818 yr The times I have seen him play this Spring he simply wasn't nearly as bad defensively as some here are making him out to be. Plus getting more time in at the position he will surely get even better. I don't see a GG in his future, but I don't see him embarassing himself with his glove either. In 2-3 years we will most likely be seeing last year's #1 draft pick there anyway. Exactly...No one is anointing Cantu a Gold Glove, but some of you on here are acting like the guy's on the hot corner with out a glove and blindfolded. From the ST games I have been to this year he has looked adequate and like mentioned above will only get better with experience at 3b. There are a few of us here that see things for what they are and not just bashing because one of our fav players got traded away. Actually, I read an article where Fredi said the exact same things. I really paid attention to him and Castillo this ST. Castillo appreared a bit better with his glove, but Cantu definetly won that job. I saw him make some very nice plays over there. He will be fine for the time being. And someone said Dominguez in 2010? Sounds about right to me. He's got some work to do but I would be willing to bet he makes it to AA this year. And that may give him some time to bond with his future team mate, Maybin. Cantu is a stop gap, but he is a stop gap that could very possibly work his way into a back up role once our phenom is ready.
March 28, 200818 yr May I ask what is all the hype about Dominguez? I heard that he was great defenively but wouldnt be a star as some of you make him out to be. I heard his ceiling is about .280 with 20 hr. Please don't attck me; I'm just resaying what others have said...
March 28, 200818 yr May I ask what is all the hype about Dominguez? I heard that he was great defenively but wouldnt be a star as some of you make him out to be. I heard his ceiling is about .280 with 20 hr. Please don't attck me; I'm just resaying what others have said... It's either that he's a Marlins minor leaguer drafted in the 1st round which automatically makes him super star material.. or his impressive minor league record in which he has put up an impressive .429 OPS over 57 ABs. In reality noone has a clue if Dominiguez will be good or not. This is just the board's typical homer prospect talk.
March 28, 200818 yr May I ask what is all the hype about Dominguez? I heard that he was great defenively but wouldnt be a star as some of you make him out to be. I heard his ceiling is about .280 with 20 hr. Please don't attck me; I'm just resaying what others have said... It's either that he's a Marlins minor leaguer drafted in the 1st round which automatically makes him super star material.. or his impressive minor league record in which he has put up an impressive .429 OPS over 57 ABs. In reality noone has a clue if Dominiguez will be good or not. This is just the board's typical homer prospect talk. If his ceiling is .280 with 20 homers and very solid defense, that's great... we've been spoiled with Miguel Cabrera... with defense being such an issue with us, I value him more for his glove than his bat. I never said he was a star... but what do we expect from Cantu this season? 25 HRs and crappy defense? Hmmm, How about 20 HRs and above average defense? I think the choice is obvious.
March 28, 200818 yr May I ask what is all the hype about Dominguez? I heard that he was great defenively but wouldnt be a star as some of you make him out to be. I heard his ceiling is about .280 with 20 hr. Please don't attck me; I'm just resaying what others have said... It's either that he's a Marlins minor leaguer drafted in the 1st round which automatically makes him super star material.. or his impressive minor league record in which he has put up an impressive .429 OPS over 57 ABs. In reality noone has a clue if Dominiguez will be good or not. This is just the board's typical homer prospect talk. If his ceiling is .280 with 20 homers and very solid defense, that's great... we've been spoiled with Miguel Cabrera... with defense being such an issue with us, I value him more for his glove than his bat. I never said he was a star... but what do we expect from Cantu this season? 25 HRs and crappy defense? Hmmm, How about 20 HRs and above average defense? I think the choice is obvious. When he was drafted, he was labeled as major league ready at defense with a need for offensive seasoning. Then, it was suggested that he has a future comparable to Ryan Zimmerman. I would take that.
March 28, 200818 yr May I ask what is all the hype about Dominguez? I heard that he was great defenively but wouldnt be a star as some of you make him out to be. I heard his ceiling is about .280 with 20 hr. Please don't attck me; I'm just resaying what others have said... It's either that he's a Marlins minor leaguer drafted in the 1st round which automatically makes him super star material.. or his impressive minor league record in which he has put up an impressive .429 OPS over 57 ABs. In reality noone has a clue if Dominiguez will be good or not. This is just the board's typical homer prospect talk. If his ceiling is .280 with 20 homers and very solid defense, that's great... we've been spoiled with Miguel Cabrera... with defense being such an issue with us, I value him more for his glove than his bat. I never said he was a star... but what do we expect from Cantu this season? 25 HRs and crappy defense? Hmmm, How about 20 HRs and above average defense? I think the choice is obvious. When he was drafted, he was labeled as major league ready at defense with a need for offensive seasoning. Then, it was suggested that he has a future comparable to Ryan Zimmerman. I would take that. I would go NUTS if he turned out to be the next Ryan Zimmerman, I don't think he'll be quite at that level though, so, yeah... but I already explained what I thought of him
March 28, 200818 yr Yeah, ".280 with 20 HRs and GG defense", first thing that comes to mind is a Ryan Zimmerman...and I'd gladly take that. It's either that he's a Marlins minor leaguer drafted in the 1st round which automatically makes him super star material.. or his impressive minor league record in which he has put up an impressive .429 OPS over 57 ABs. In reality noone has a clue if Dominiguez will be good or not. This is just the board's typical homer prospect talk. 57 ABs isn't exactly a good sample size, and it's not uncommon for guys to not do well when the hit the minors at the end of the year after being drafted.
March 28, 200818 yr I'm not saying 57 ABs is a big sample size. The point is he has played about 15 games above high school and some people are already projecting him to be a good MLB player and some are even projecting him to be good in 2010 when he'll be only 20 years old. I think these projections are ridiculous.
March 28, 200818 yr I'm not saying 57 ABs is a big sample size. The point is he has played about 15 games above high school and some people are already projecting him to be a good MLB player and some are even projecting him to be good in 2010 when he'll be only 20 years old. I think these projections are ridiculous. What's ridiculous about saying that a kid with 2.5 years of minor league experience (by 2010 he'll have about that much) could be ML ready? I never said he'd be starting the season with the team in 2010, he may end up being a late-season call up. What's ridiculous about saying a 1st round pick could be a good player?
March 28, 200818 yr I agree that I SEVERELY doubt he'll be up by 2010 I'm thinking more like 2012, and that's being optimistic and hoping he does well.
March 28, 200818 yr I agree that I SEVERELY doubt he'll be up by 2010 I'm thinking more like 2012, and that's being optimistic and hoping he does well. That's fair enough, I honestly don't know what I was thinking when I said 2010... I guess that's almost a best-case scenario thing, because it'd mean he'd've torn up the minor leagues at that point... But I think the rest of my argument(s) hold water
March 28, 200818 yr If his ceiling is .280 with 20 homers and very solid defense, that's great... we've been spoiled with Miguel Cabrera... with defense being such an issue with us, I value him more for his glove than his bat. I never said he was a star... but what do we expect from Cantu this season? 25 HRs and crappy defense? Hmmm, How about 20 HRs and above average defense? I think the choice is obvious. That is most certainly not great unless it is accompanied by 40 doubles and 80 walks. Third base is a place to put a hitter because, despite being called the hot corner, it isn't vital to a team's defense. So unless a guy is a total butcher, and Cantu is not a total butcher, the bat speaks louder than the glove. Nobody has any idea what Dominiguez will turn out to be, and nobody should be worried if he isn't ready until 2012 or even 2015.
March 28, 200818 yr Back to Cantu for a second, I think he can surprise with the bat this year. 20-25 HR's, maybe.
March 28, 200818 yr Back to Cantu for a second, I think he can surprise with the bat this year. 20-25 HR's, maybe. Definitely. Scouts have said he looks better right now than he ever has in his career.
March 28, 200818 yr If his ceiling is .280 with 20 homers and very solid defense, that's great... we've been spoiled with Miguel Cabrera... with defense being such an issue with us, I value him more for his glove than his bat. I never said he was a star... but what do we expect from Cantu this season? 25 HRs and crappy defense? Hmmm, How about 20 HRs and above average defense? I think the choice is obvious. That is most certainly not great unless it is accompanied by 40 doubles and 80 walks. Third base is a place to put a hitter because, despite being called the hot corner, it isn't vital to a team's defense. So unless a guy is a total butcher, and Cantu is not a total butcher, the bat speaks louder than the glove. Nobody has any idea what Dominiguez will turn out to be, and nobody should be worried if he isn't ready until 2012 or even 2015. Ryan Zimmerman, he of a .788 OPS, was at roughly +102 runs (or 10.2 wins). Miguel Cabrera, he of a .965 OPS, would have been at +107 runs (or 10.7 wins). nearly .200 full points ahead in OPS, and yet Cabrera was only better for a half a win last year over Zimmerman due to the huge difference in defense. Don't underestimate a 3rd baseman's defense (And Cantu has historically been a butcher)
March 29, 200818 yr Ryan Zimmerman, he of a .788 OPS, was at roughly +102 runs (or 10.2 wins). Miguel Cabrera, he of a .965 OPS, would have been at +107 runs (or 10.7 wins). nearly .200 full points ahead in OPS, and yet Cabrera was only better for a half a win last year over Zimmerman due to the huge difference in defense. Don't underestimate a 3rd baseman's defense (And Cantu has historically been a butcher) Just curious, where do the numbers come from? Looking at RC, Miguel's bat created 126 runs while Ryan's bat created 93 so I guess this means Miguel's defense costs us 19 runs while Ryan's defense saved 9 runs. That 28 run gap from defense from one position is incredible. With all the talk about defense all ST we're going into the season with two defensive butchers in Cantu at 3B and Cody in CF. At least Jacobs, Uggla, Hanley, Hammer and Jeremy should all improve from last season if all the talk about the extra defensive work is true.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.