Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Post Game Thoughts 3/31 Opening Day

Featured Replies

Positives:

 

1. The bullpen did well.

2. I saw Hanley make a REALLY GOOD defensive play. (I heard he didn't cover 2B in the 9th on a play, but I can't comment, since I left after the Mets scored the 7th run).

3. Impressive turn out...and I don't mean, impressive turnout by Mets fans...there were lots of Marlins fans...at least in my section...I think we outnumbered them by a lot.

 

Negatives:

 

1. Hendrickson was our Opening Day starter.

2. It was hot as f u c k !

 

Best Thing:

I still get to watch 161 more games of Marlins baseball this year.

 

As for the umpire, from my seats in RF, Hendrickson did get squeezed in the 4th, but I also saw Santana getting squeezed several times, as well. He just sucked, period.

Yeah, Hendrickson, man, he can really pitch. The only positive note is that we made no errors.

 

 

Made 1. :(

Positives

 

Hendrickson had four great innings

Nolasco had three great innings (against the Mets too, I was surprised!)

No defensive meltdowns

Hammertime

Unleashing Amezaga

We lost to a multiple Cy Young winner

 

Negatives

 

Slow start offensively

One terrible inning for Hendrickson

Our current outfield doesn't have good range defensively

Just got home from the game. Yeah, it sucks to lose on opening day, but that whole game would have changed if Jacobs could have doubled off Church at first base on that line drive in the 4th inning. Everything unraveled after that. Now we move on to tomorrow.

 

Honoring conine before the game was awesome. I cried when they showed all of Conine's highlights throughout his career as a Marlin. As far as the Mets fans, they were obnoxious as hell where I was. There was this ogre looking couple (they seriously looked like ogres, it was unreal) that was beyond ridiculous sitting in front of me. They would keep standing up and saying sh*t every 3 seconds for no reason. I overheard them say that they were from Long Island. So I said to them, "Are you sure you're not from Wrong Island?, I can't tell which one of you is Shrek and which one is Dunkey." They were pissed as hell. They stood up like they were gonna do something, but they just kept talking sh*t and ended up leaving to get food. When they came back they started eating their nachos and hotdogs. So this time I said, "Has anybody from New York learned the Heimlich Manuever yet? Whose going to keep the mets from choking like dogs?" So Shrek got irrate and decided to take a swing at me. I punked him once in the jaw before security came and took us away. Just another day at the ballpark I guess.

 

 

Crazy Fish

Just got home from the game. Yeah, it sucks to lose on opening day, but that whole game would have changed if Jacobs could have doubled off Church at first base on that line drive in the 4th inning. Everything unraveled after that. Now we move on to tomorrow.

 

Honoring conine before the game was awesome. I cried when they showed all of Conine's highlights throughout his career as a Marlin. As far as the Mets fans, they were obnoxious as hell where I was. There was this ogre looking couple (they seriously looked like ogres, it was unreal) that was beyond ridiculous sitting in front of me. They would keep standing up and saying sh*t every 3 seconds for no reason. I overheard them say that they were from Long Island. So I said to them, "Are you sure you're not from Wrong Island?, I can't tell which one of you is Shrek and which one is Dunkey." They were pissed as hell. They stood up like they were gonna do something, but they just kept talking sh*t and ended up leaving to get food. When they came back they started eating their nachos and hotdogs. So this time I said, "Has anybody from New York learned the Heimlich Manuever yet? Whose going to keep the mets from choking like dogs?" So Shrek got irrate and decided to take a swing at me. I punked him once in the jaw before security came and took us away. Just another day at the ballpark I guess.

 

 

Crazy Fish

so did their ban you from coming back or told you not do it any more??? or joking with us

The difference in this game was experience in the pitchers. Hendrickson gave up the first set of 3 in the 4th, and he just gave up, couldn't concentrate, couldn't bounce back, and they ended up scoring 3 more. Santana gave up the HR to Willingham, but he just kept playing the same way he had before, so he limited the damage. Home tomorrow night's game is a much better game

All things considered, Hendrickson didn't do that bad. As the year foes on, and our batters have some more at bats against Johan, we'll see some improvement. Treanor looked pretty good throwing out Reyes and Wright. Hanley looked clueless against Johan. Jacobs made a nice play at 1st to catch a shot hit by Castillo, I think. The fans were well behaved, and admitted that it's tough to be in the Marlin's shoes right now. I expect better things tomorrow.

The difference in this game was experience in the pitchers. Hendrickson gave up the first set of 3 in the 4th, and he just gave up, couldn't concentrate, couldn't bounce back, and they ended up scoring 3 more. Santana gave up the HR to Willingham, but he just kept playing the same way he had before, so he limited the damage. Home tomorrow night's game is a much better game

 

I would agree with the assessment but with one caveat - when Santana gave up the homer to Willingham he still had a four run cushion.

 

But the intent of your post is I think on the mark.

The difference in this game was experience in the pitchers. Hendrickson gave up the first set of 3 in the 4th, and he just gave up, couldn't concentrate, couldn't bounce back, and they ended up scoring 3 more. Santana gave up the HR to Willingham, but he just kept playing the same way he had before, so he limited the damage. Home tomorrow night's game is a much better game

 

I would agree with the assessment but with one caveat - when Santana gave up the homer to Willingham he still had a four run cushion.

 

But the intent of your post is I think on the mark.

 

Hendrickson didnt do that bad anyways. I agree with what you said too

Watching on TV I saw some things you guys at the game didn't. The ball that Pagan hit was out of range for about any 3B I've ever seen, no wrongs for Cantu there. As for Hendrickson, he isn't a horrible pitcher but he just isn't going to be any better than average at best. He lacks real stuff, his curveball isn't bad but he doesn't trust it enough at the moment. His other pitches are batting practice quality and it won't surprise me to see opposing teams have an easy go the second time through the order. He's not going to experience a career year, he's going to be the same pitcher he's always been. I don't think he will ever completely lose it on the mound and go wild, but he won't ever pitch a no hitter either.

 

If he is the best we've got, it's going to be a long season until the kids come up. I'd love to see Carroll in center because Cody is just overmatched out there.

Watching on TV I saw some things you guys at the game didn't. The ball that Pagan hit was out of range for about any 3B I've ever seen, no wrongs for Cantu there. As for Hendrickson, he isn't a horrible pitcher but he just isn't going to be any better than average at best. He lacks real stuff, his curveball isn't bad but he doesn't trust it enough at the moment. His other pitches are batting practice quality and it won't surprise me to see opposing teams have an easy go the second time through the order. He's not going to experience a career year, he's going to be the same pitcher he's always been. I don't think he will ever completely lose it on the mound and go wild, but he won't ever pitch a no hitter either.

 

If he is the best we've got, it's going to be a long season until the kids come up. I'd love to see Carroll in center because Cody is just overmatched out there.

 

Hendrickson was never brought here to be anything other than a middle of rotation and down guy. Timing and injuries colluded to have him open yesterday.

it's a shame that Hendrickson wasn't able to get out of the 4th with 2 or 3 runs. Just wasn't able to get that 3rd out.

 

A bit of luck and Jake makes that double-play & we might've been out of the inning.

 

But yeah no one should think of Hendrickson as the #1 guy here. He's Mark Redman basically this season.

Yeah, I think he means the ball off of the bat of Pagan in the 4th inning. I don't think he really had a chance.

 

It's a shame, though. If he makes the play it's a completely different ballgame.

 

hell yeah it is, i also think he could at least kept the ball in front of him from Treanor on wildpitch.

 

I miss Hermida already lol, our bench just gets so much better when Gonzo goes back on the bench. Gives you that veteran bat, when u really need it.

 

I also think Gonzo should have batted 3rd and not Jacobs, better fitted for the 5th spot.

Hendrickson was never brought here to be anything other than a middle of rotation and down guy. Timing and injuries colluded to have him open yesterday.

 

I don't really feel that confident in handing him the ball every 5th day with the stuff I saw yesterday. He just isn't ever going to be a winning pitcher in this league and the fact we are turning to him shows the sad state of our franchise. I would much rather have Kim back than no stuff.

Yeah, I think he means the ball off of the bat of Pagan in the 4th inning. I don't think he really had a chance.

 

It's a shame, though. If he makes the play it's a completely different ballgame.

 

hell yeah it is, i also think he could at least kept the ball in front of him from Treanor on wildpitch.

 

I miss Hermida already lol, our bench just gets so much better when Gonzo goes back on the bench. Gives you that veteran bat, when u really need it.

 

I also think Gonzo should have batted 3rd and not Jacobs, better fitted for the 5th spot.

I hate Jake batting ahead of Hammer. No idea why Fredi does it, but it kills me when I see it.

Hendrickson was never brought here to be anything other than a middle of rotation and down guy. Timing and injuries colluded to have him open yesterday.

 

I don't really feel that confident in handing him the ball every 5th day with the stuff I saw yesterday. He just isn't ever going to be a winning pitcher in this league and the fact we are turning to him shows the sad state of our franchise. I would much rather have Kim back than no stuff.

The way I see the primary reason Hendrickson is here is to eat innings so we don't have to rush any more of the young starters than what we're already rushing.

 

If he makes 30 starts and pitches 180 innings he'll have a "successful" season as far as I'm concerned.

Hendrickson was never brought here to be anything other than a middle of rotation and down guy. Timing and injuries colluded to have him open yesterday.

 

I don't really feel that confident in handing him the ball every 5th day with the stuff I saw yesterday. He just isn't ever going to be a winning pitcher in this league and the fact we are turning to him shows the sad state of our franchise. I would much rather have Kim back than no stuff.

I think with Kim and Hendrickson is a wash,,,both stink but will give innings (and a lot of action in those innings)

Hendrickson was never brought here to be anything other than a middle of rotation and down guy. Timing and injuries colluded to have him open yesterday.

 

I don't really feel that confident in handing him the ball every 5th day with the stuff I saw yesterday. He just isn't ever going to be a winning pitcher in this league and the fact we are turning to him shows the sad state of our franchise. I would much rather have Kim back than no stuff.

The way I see the primary reason Hendrickson is here is to eat innings so we don't have to rush any more of the young starters than what we're already rushing.

 

If he makes 30 starts and pitches 180 innings he'll have a "successful" season as far as I'm concerned.

 

Innings eaters are incredibly over-rated. Most of the time these guys have only had a few average seasons at best and then they fall off the radar completely. Whatever happened to players who actually played well? Why is it acceptable to start a pitcher every 5 days who more often than not gives you little chance to win?

Hendrickson was never brought here to be anything other than a middle of rotation and down guy. Timing and injuries colluded to have him open yesterday.

 

I don't really feel that confident in handing him the ball every 5th day with the stuff I saw yesterday. He just isn't ever going to be a winning pitcher in this league and the fact we are turning to him shows the sad state of our franchise. I would much rather have Kim back than no stuff.

The way I see the primary reason Hendrickson is here is to eat innings so we don't have to rush any more of the young starters than what we're already rushing.

 

If he makes 30 starts and pitches 180 innings he'll have a "successful" season as far as I'm concerned.

 

Innings eaters are incredibly over-rated. Most of the time these guys have only had a few average seasons at best and then they fall off the radar completely. Whatever happened to players who actually played well? Why is it acceptable to start a pitcher every 5 days who more often than not gives you little chance to win?

you just contradicted yourself,,,,,the pitcher you describe is BK KIM.........hell he couldn't even make the Pirates.........

Hendrickson was never brought here to be anything other than a middle of rotation and down guy. Timing and injuries colluded to have him open yesterday.

 

I don't really feel that confident in handing him the ball every 5th day with the stuff I saw yesterday. He just isn't ever going to be a winning pitcher in this league and the fact we are turning to him shows the sad state of our franchise. I would much rather have Kim back than no stuff.

The way I see the primary reason Hendrickson is here is to eat innings so we don't have to rush any more of the young starters than what we're already rushing.

 

If he makes 30 starts and pitches 180 innings he'll have a "successful" season as far as I'm concerned.

 

Innings eaters are incredibly over-rated. Most of the time these guys have only had a few average seasons at best and then they fall off the radar completely. Whatever happened to players who actually played well? Why is it acceptable to start a pitcher every 5 days who more often than not gives you little chance to win?

Well, it depends on the situation. I think if you're a contending team then an innings eater that gives you below average performance will not help you but given our situation I think such a pitcher would help us as he would prevent us from screwing up the development of another young pitcher who is not MLB ready.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.