April 9, 200818 yr Hermida is more talented than Uggla, if that's the question. They're totally different ballplayers, actually, so the comparison, isn't even worth it.
April 9, 200818 yr You DON'T cut ties with talented 24 year olds... unless they have a career ENDING injury it's just something you DON'T do.... stop suggesting we "cut ties" with Hermida, it's ridiculous that you'd suggest a 24 year old with uber talent be "washed up" almost to the point of genuinely being irritating Case in point: Josh Hamilton I agree 100%. The Marlins don't however. They got rid of Miguel Cabrera. He was pretty good and about 24. :banghead
April 9, 200818 yr You DON'T cut ties with talented 24 year olds... unless they have a career ENDING injury it's just something you DON'T do.... stop suggesting we "cut ties" with Hermida, it's ridiculous that you'd suggest a 24 year old with uber talent be "washed up" almost to the point of genuinely being irritating Case in point: Josh Hamilton I agree 100%. The Marlins don't however. They got rid of Miguel Cabrera. He was pretty good and about 24. :banghead
April 9, 200818 yr I think we should get rid of Hanley while we are at it. I mean we already know he is going to cost a lot of money and we won't be able to afford him. So why not sell now while his stock is high? ok I was being sarcastic...... but it is painful to know that all the great young player that come through our organization will spend their primes somewhere else.....
April 9, 200818 yr I think we should get rid of Hanley while we are at it. I mean we already know he is going to cost a lot of money and we won't be able to afford him. So why not sell now while his stock is high? ok I was being sarcastic...... but it is painful to know that all the great young player that come through our organization will spend their primes somewhere else..... new stadium on the way...i see no way hanley is gone
April 9, 200818 yr I think we should get rid of Hanley while we are at it. I mean we already know he is going to cost a lot of money and we won't be able to afford him. So why not sell now while his stock is high? ok I was being sarcastic...... but it is painful to know that all the great young player that come through our organization will spend their primes somewhere else..... new stadium on the way...i see no way hanley is gone I hope your right.
April 9, 200818 yr You can not hold not being a ROTY candidate against Hermida for only so long, who gives a ^$ that Hermida didn't win it, only one person can anyways. The fact is, he keeps playing on these injuries and making them worse trying to be in the lineup for all 162 games. I'm not holding it against him, just making the point that there have always been huge expectations for Hermida to which he has not lived up. Let him get to 100% and we'll take it from there. Sure, and I bet the team has been trying to do this for the last 2 seasons. How long should it take you think? He was healthy last season down the stretch and his G total has increased every year for 3 years... this should be about it :thumbup But has it reached his potential ? Remember we are the Marlins, and get rid of players once they are Arby eligible. This team doesn't have the time to waste on guys who get serivce time while on the DL. We need guys who can play when they are young, and can't wait for them to develope. When you factor in this set of rules (that only the Marlins and A's seem to live under) Hermida has wasted 2 years of our time so far, and needs to get his act together this year, or I say "sayonara" and try trading him next off season for whatever you can get for him.
April 9, 200818 yr WTF? Are people seriously still doubting Hermida? He is one of our cornerstones along with Hanley and Maybin. Not only does he ooze with a ton of potential, but he put up very good numbers as a 23 year old last year. I've only read this last page so I am sure I am just reiterating what the few fans with common sense left on this board are saying, but Hermida is not a bust and to say anything even close to that is laughable. Hermida has only 2 years left before arbitration. That means he has wasted our time. This franchise works with different rules than other clubs. You guys seem to forget that. :banghead
April 9, 200818 yr WTF? Are people seriously still doubting Hermida? He is one of our cornerstones along with Hanley and Maybin. Not only does he ooze with a ton of potential, but he put up very good numbers as a 23 year old last year. I've only read this last page so I am sure I am just reiterating what the few fans with common sense left on this board are saying, but Hermida is not a bust and to say anything even close to that is laughable. His actual age means nothing when talking about the Marlins. We don't have "cornerstone" players, we have players that are here until they are arbitration eligible. Then they are shipped out. He has 2 years left before he is arby eligible, and that means his production for the time we have had him so far, has been very weak.
April 9, 200818 yr WTF? Are people seriously still doubting Hermida? He is one of our cornerstones along with Hanley and Maybin. Not only does he ooze with a ton of potential, but he put up very good numbers as a 23 year old last year. I've only read this last page so I am sure I am just reiterating what the few fans with common sense left on this board are saying, but Hermida is not a bust and to say anything even close to that is laughable. His actual age means nothing when talking about the Marlins. We don't have "cornerstone" players, we have players that are here until they are arbitration eligible. Then they are shipped out. He has 2 years left before he is arby eligible, and that means his production for the time we have had him so far, has been very weak. We got a stadium. Things may change, but your logic is irrelevant. The point is the kid has massive potential, and he will be healthy. Cutting ties would be the dumbest thing the Marlins have EVER done in the history of the organization.
April 9, 200818 yr WTF? Are people seriously still doubting Hermida? He is one of our cornerstones along with Hanley and Maybin. Not only does he ooze with a ton of potential, but he put up very good numbers as a 23 year old last year. I've only read this last page so I am sure I am just reiterating what the few fans with common sense left on this board are saying, but Hermida is not a bust and to say anything even close to that is laughable. His actual age means nothing when talking about the Marlins. We don't have "cornerstone" players, we have players that are here until they are arbitration eligible. Then they are shipped out. He has 2 years left before he is arby eligible, and that means his production for the time we have had him so far, has been very weak. He's arbitration eligible after this season.
April 9, 200818 yr THAT was a factor of money (whatever your take on the situation is)... THIS is NOT a factor of money When Hermida is arbitration eligible, he will command $ 5 to 6 million. That is too expensive for the Marlins. He will be gone, and we will have years of hoped for potential wasted on Hermida. If he blossoms it will more than likely be for someone else. We need production this year, or he has to catagorized as a bust for the Marlins, unless we can get something good for him in his "arbitration" trade.
April 9, 200818 yr THAT was a factor of money (whatever your take on the situation is)... THIS is NOT a factor of money When Hermida is arbitration eligible, he will command $ 5 to 6 million. That is too expensive for the Marlins. He will be gone, and we will have years of hoped for potential wasted on Hermida. If he blossoms it will more than likely be for someone else. We need production this year, or he has to catagorized as a bust for the Marlins, unless we can get something good for him in his "arbitration" trade. he might command that much...but thats the thing about arbitration...you dont always win...and i doubt he would win if he asks for that much
April 9, 200818 yr THAT was a factor of money (whatever your take on the situation is)... THIS is NOT a factor of money When Hermida is arbitration eligible, he will command $ 5 to 6 million. That is too expensive for the Marlins. He will be gone, and we will have years of hoped for potential wasted on Hermida. If he blossoms it will more than likely be for someone else. We need production this year, or he has to catagorized as a bust for the Marlins, unless we can get something good for him in his "arbitration" trade. With the way we operate it's not a given Hanley, Hammer, Uggla, Hermida and the other first year arbitration guys will be back. We'll have to wait and see what they do with payroll.
April 9, 200818 yr You DON'T cut ties with talented 24 year olds... unless they have a career ENDING injury it's just something you DON'T do.... stop suggesting we "cut ties" with Hermida, it's ridiculous that you'd suggest a 24 year old with uber talent be "washed up" almost to the point of genuinely being irritating Case in point: Josh Hamilton I agree 100%. The Marlins don't however. They got rid of Miguel Cabrera. He was pretty good and about 24. :banghead
April 9, 200818 yr I think we should get rid of Hanley while we are at it. I mean we already know he is going to cost a lot of money and we won't be able to afford him. So why not sell now while his stock is high? ok I was being sarcastic...... but it is painful to know that all the great young player that come through our organization will spend their primes somewhere else..... new stadium on the way...i see no way hanley is gone Do you really think that will happen ? I don't think it will. This ownership promised not to do a firesale, and they signed Delgado, knowing they would trade him (I fully believe they had already decided to trade him before he ever took a bat as a Marlin....he was a tradeable asset and that is what they saw him as, ALWAYS)
April 9, 200818 yr WTF? Are people seriously still doubting Hermida? He is one of our cornerstones along with Hanley and Maybin. Not only does he ooze with a ton of potential, but he put up very good numbers as a 23 year old last year. I've only read this last page so I am sure I am just reiterating what the few fans with common sense left on this board are saying, but Hermida is not a bust and to say anything even close to that is laughable. His actual age means nothing when talking about the Marlins. We don't have "cornerstone" players, we have players that are here until they are arbitration eligible. Then they are shipped out. He has 2 years left before he is arby eligible, and that means his production for the time we have had him so far, has been very weak. We got a stadium. Things may change, but your logic is irrelevant. The point is the kid has massive potential, and he will be healthy. Cutting ties would be the dumbest thing the Marlins have EVER done in the history of the organization. Dumber than cutting ties with Miggy ? :blink: When I say cutting ties I don't mean letting him go, but trading him. maybe someone else will have the time and money to be patient with him. But our budget constraints don't allow for guys to "develope" they have to produce from day one.
April 9, 200818 yr THAT was a factor of money (whatever your take on the situation is)... THIS is NOT a factor of money When Hermida is arbitration eligible, he will command $ 5 to 6 million. That is too expensive for the Marlins. He will be gone, and we will have years of hoped for potential wasted on Hermida. If he blossoms it will more than likely be for someone else. We need production this year, or he has to catagorized as a bust for the Marlins, unless we can get something good for him in his "arbitration" trade. he might command that much...but thats the thing about arbitration...you dont always win...and i doubt he would win if he asks for that much I believe you have to offer something near what the average is that the players at his position make. You can't lowball someone, there are rules, and I am sure someone here knows them.
April 9, 200818 yr Lets not forget Hermida could be THE WORST defensive player in the majors. Now if anybody scrutinizes this comment they have a very short memory. Dont forget how awful he was in RF last year. I was utterly shocked to read that he made two errors in a single A game the other night. If you did forget im sure Jeremy will remind you soon. This is very wrong. He actually was pretty solid.
April 9, 200818 yr THAT was a factor of money (whatever your take on the situation is)... THIS is NOT a factor of money When Hermida is arbitration eligible, he will command $ 5 to 6 million. That is too expensive for the Marlins. He will be gone, and we will have years of hoped for potential wasted on Hermida. If he blossoms it will more than likely be for someone else. We need production this year, or he has to catagorized as a bust for the Marlins, unless we can get something good for him in his "arbitration" trade. This is wrong. It's going to be more like $3.5. Swisher set the market. The Marlins will be able to afford 4, maybe 5 depending if they keep the cheaper ones, of these players next year and maintain a legitimate payroll under $30 million. Hanley Hermida Willingham Jacobs Uggla Olsen Gregg Mitre Amezaga Treanor J. Miller Cantu (McPherson) There are only two locks on this list.
April 9, 200818 yr THAT was a factor of money (whatever your take on the situation is)... THIS is NOT a factor of money When Hermida is arbitration eligible, he will command $ 5 to 6 million. That is too expensive for the Marlins. He will be gone, and we will have years of hoped for potential wasted on Hermida. If he blossoms it will more than likely be for someone else. We need production this year, or he has to catagorized as a bust for the Marlins, unless we can get something good for him in his "arbitration" trade. he might command that much...but thats the thing about arbitration...you dont always win...and i doubt he would win if he asks for that much I believe you have to offer something near what the average is that the players at his position make. You can't lowball someone, there are rules, and I am sure someone here knows them. Arbitration is not a Franchise tag in football, it's based on comparables... and according to your logic, we'd be paying him comparable to an OFer that had only played in like 160 games in 4 seasons... which, by my count would be REALLY REALLY cheap... As for being stepford wives, that was an insane comment... I think that constantly having a "sky is falling" attitude about this team, which you have far and away labeled yourself as having is absolutely pointless to have if you call yourself a fan. Holy cow is it just a waste of energy to say "oh well, so-and-so is gonna be gone, and this guy sucks and that guy sucks..." And I say again, STOP USING HRs TO EVALUATE PLAYERS, IT IS STUPID AND USELESS IN THIS CONTEXT As you can see, this really frustrates me because you aren't acting like a fan, and that whole "my team is my team" crap shows your view... this is OUR team, OUR FLORIDA MARLINS, South Florida's representatives to the baseball world. I don't care if you don't like Hermida, I don't care if you think we're not gonna win another game, but to debate this ferociously that Hermida is pretty much worthless is ignorant, borderline moronic I don't like name-calling, but these are the only words that actually make sense to use. If you're a fan, enjoy the season, ride the roller coaster that will be our wins and losses and see what happens... don't call out every little thing because we're not fortunate enough to have a franchise worth a billion dollars and can afford every player.
April 9, 200818 yr THAT was a factor of money (whatever your take on the situation is)... THIS is NOT a factor of money When Hermida is arbitration eligible, he will command $ 5 to 6 million. That is too expensive for the Marlins. He will be gone, and we will have years of hoped for potential wasted on Hermida. If he blossoms it will more than likely be for someone else. We need production this year, or he has to catagorized as a bust for the Marlins, unless we can get something good for him in his "arbitration" trade. This is wrong. It's going to be more like $3.5. Swisher set the market. The Marlins will be able to afford 4, maybe 5 depending if they keep the cheaper ones, of these players next year and maintain a legitimate payroll under $30 million. Hanley Hermida Willingham Jacobs Uggla Olsen Gregg Mitre Amezaga Treanor There are only two locks on this list. And who would those two locks be Lou? *knows the answer*
April 9, 200818 yr THAT was a factor of money (whatever your take on the situation is)... THIS is NOT a factor of money When Hermida is arbitration eligible, he will command $ 5 to 6 million. That is too expensive for the Marlins. He will be gone, and we will have years of hoped for potential wasted on Hermida. If he blossoms it will more than likely be for someone else. We need production this year, or he has to catagorized as a bust for the Marlins, unless we can get something good for him in his "arbitration" trade. This is wrong. It's going to be more like $3.5. Swisher set the market. I hope Hermida becomes a better player than Swisher. If he OPSes in the low .800s he'll get about what Swisher got. If he OPSes in the low .900s he should get more than Swisher but less that what Miguel got.. maybe around $5.5 million.
April 9, 200818 yr And who would those two locks be Lou? *knows the answer* I just did the math. I was off by a player, we can safely keep 5, maybe 6, depending on who. This is assuming we have Rabelo, Andino, three outfielders (Maybin, Carroll, Jai, De Aza, or X), three more hitters at any position (Baker, G. Sanchez, Coghlan, players acquired in trades), Volstad, Anibal, G. Hernandez, Lindstrom, Owens, Pinto, Tank, and Nolasco, at CC levels. Next, we'd have minor arbitration cases with Johnson and Kensing, A. Miller's minor MLB contract, the usual Helms/Gonzalez bat that costs us $1-1.5 million, and the two sure fire arbitrations with Hanley and Hermida. You figure they keep Amezaga unless we are blown away at the deadline, and ditch all of the pitchers (Gregg, J. Miller, Gardner, Mitre) except maybe Olsen, and all of the 'minor hitters.' Anyways, it basically comes down to pick two of Uggla, Willingham, Jacobs, and Olsen. We can field a good team under $30 breaking it down to pick 2 of those 4 players. It's going to come down to the minor leaguers. Does Carroll, Jai, or De Aza fight their way into LF? Does Coghlan jump 2 levels to the bigs, or does Andino get 2B? Does G. Sanchez take over 1B? Does all the SP in AA destroy everyone leaving Olsen expendable, regardless if he does good or bad this year? Does the team trade for any of the above? Whatever the best two situation for the team is wins. My bet is they keep Olsen cause they always defer to pitching and one of Jacobs/Willingham.
April 9, 200818 yr I think drug addiction falls into a different category than "bust", I mean we have no idea how he would've turned out without the addiction. But whatever. I didn't think we should have given him another "second" chance. But there he is in Jupiter. Trying to get his life back together. It was a bit more than drug addiction, although I would agree that drugs most likely had alot to do with his other legal problems as well. But I don't know the kid. Heck, I wouldn't recognize him if I bumped into him at the ball park and he was in his uniform. But I do wish him luck.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.