Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Paul Lo Duca

Featured Replies

he probably had a clause in his contract to be called up or he could opt out

 

Not at all true. But when all else fails, make up "facts."

i didnt see the game last night but from what i saw of the box score, baker again showed that he is rightfully the starter now

 

i also dont understand the lo duca situation - no need for him in my honest opinion

 

I think Treanor will always be a good #2 catcher, and I think Baker can become a good starting catcher, so I think for the future Baker is really our answer.

He sure does seem pretty useless with the bullpen or work has been getting of late...thank god for Ricky last night. Is he really going todo much better than Baker???? All Pauly is at this point is a .250 hitter with little d or pop in bat. :thumbdown

Many of you seem to forget that Treanor is not healthy and is pretty much playing on borrowed time by putting off surgery until after the season (or if re-injures himself when his season ends).

 

That's why LoDuca is here. Why that is controversial I have no idea, especially when you look at the options at the time LoDuca was brought in. David Ross is out there NOW that he's been released and I hoped the Fish would go get him at the trading deadline but that's just me.

 

I don't think he will be a major contributing factor over the next six weeks, it's more insurance. That said I'm not sure that in a game like last night he couldn't have been used in the ighth or ninth inning in left or at first, just to get him into the game and perhaps an at bat or two.

it appears Baker is moving into the main catchers role, but I think its good to have both Lo Duca and Treanor available. Lo Doca can do more than just catch and he is a decent hitter. Not great anymore, but he can make contact.

he probably had a clause in his contract to be called up or he could opt out

 

Not at all true. But when all else fails, make up "facts."

He didn't make anything up Bob. That was a hypothesis. One I've heard from many people already, even before he was called up.

Baker should be the starting catcher. Lo Duca is there should Treanor's injury end his season prematurely. He has his pluses, like being able to hit and run and play other positions.

Matt is one play away from surgery. Baker isn't any good defensively, and his BA isn't exactly lighting up the scoreboards, despite the following he has on these boards. Any other player would be getting a daily bashing around here. And Paulie just isn't as bad as all the exaggerations around here have it.

 

Thats right . Treanor is not healthy. He can barely run. He's one bad play away from going back on the DL.

  • Author

Then why not just wait till Treanor gets injured to call LoDuca up, instead of wasting a spot on the team? LoDuca's NOT the backup...if he was, he would've gotten a start over Treanor the other day; he didn't.

 

He's also not a good pinch-hitting option, to be quite honest...or at least as some would like to think he is.

 

What does LoDuca provide on this team...until Treanor has that injury we're all waiting for? A 3rd catcher? I don't like it.

We really haven't seen LoDuca in game-altering pinch hit situations so I for one am willing to see how well he does when called upon to move a runner over or sacrifice to right field.

 

I'm not sure anyone can know whether he's a good pinch hitting option or not until we've seen him called upon to perform situationally a number of times. it very well may be he is a bust, or he may do well, I say let's wait and see.

 

Like Cantu, the smartest productive hitter on the team, LoDuca will be going to the plate knowing what he needs to accomplish, which potentially is a step up from "...guys trying to hit four run homers with no one base", as Fredi likes to say.

 

I do think that not using him, and that includes looking for situations to use him, is a mistake. If all he does is ride the bench that's a roster spot that could better be used for other purposes.

  • Author

We really haven't seen LoDuca in game-altering pinch hit situations so I for one am willing to see how well he does when called upon to move a runner over or sacrifice to right field.

 

I'm not sure anyone can know whether he's a good pinch hitting option or not until we've seen him called upon to perform situationally a number of times. it very well may be he is a bust, or he may do well, I say let's wait and see.

 

Like Cantu, the smartest productive hitter on the team, LoDuca will be going to the plate knowing what he needs to accomplish, which potentially is a step up from "...guys trying to hit four run homers with no one base", as Fredi likes to say.

 

I do think that not using him, and that includes looking for situations to use him, is a mistake. If all he does is ride the bench that's a roster spot that could better be used for other purposes.

 

 

Yeah...but y'see...I think that's the problem.

I don't see Fredi going to Lo Duca over Helms, for example, in important situations, with a lefty on the mound. With a righty, I don't see Fredi using Lo Duca over Helms or Gonzo.

 

So really...Lo Duca is like the 3rd best option as a pinch-hitter on the bench.

 

Personally, I'm not a HUGE Paul Lo Duca fan. I think some on here overrate him. With that said...Lo Duca has the ability to make consistent contact. With Hermida looking like a better hitter at the bottom of the order, I'd like to see Lo Duca bat 2nd one time, to see how it works. It's not as if we have great options in the 2 hole, anyways.

We really haven't seen LoDuca in game-altering pinch hit situations so I for one am willing to see how well he does when called upon to move a runner over or sacrifice to right field.

 

I'm not sure anyone can know whether he's a good pinch hitting option or not until we've seen him called upon to perform situationally a number of times. it very well may be he is a bust, or he may do well, I say let's wait and see.

 

Like Cantu, the smartest productive hitter on the team, LoDuca will be going to the plate knowing what he needs to accomplish, which potentially is a step up from "...guys trying to hit four run homers with no one base", as Fredi likes to say.

 

I do think that not using him, and that includes looking for situations to use him, is a mistake. If all he does is ride the bench that's a roster spot that could better be used for other purposes.

 

 

Yeah...but y'see...I think that's the problem.

I don't see Fredi going to Lo Duca over Helms, for example, in important situations, with a lefty on the mound. With a righty, I don't see Fredi using Lo Duca over Helms or Gonzo.

 

So really...Lo Duca is like the 3rd best option as a pinch-hitter on the bench.

 

Personally, I'm not a HUGE Paul Lo Duca fan. I think some on here overrate him. With that said...Lo Duca has the ability to make consistent contact. With Hermida looking like a better hitter at the bottom of the order, I'd like to see Lo Duca bat 2nd one time, to see how it works. It's not as if we have great options in the 2 hole, anyways.

i think the only reason lo duca was brought up was because freddi and the organization panicked during the second game of the cubs' series where freddi ran out of bench players after gregg blow the save. i guess they just want lo duca here just in case they are ever confronted with another type of those situations, but until one of those situations arrises i also think he is useless

I'm not trying to continue this debate but if they just wanted to bring someone up to add a bat to the lineup there were any number of other choices they could have made.

 

I don't pretend to have the inside baseball answers why LoDuca and not player X, but these decisions aren't made in a vacuum and you have think Dean Treanor and probably the scouting team drove the decision LoDuca's way.

 

Or, as someone mentioned above (I think it was in this thread although it could have been another) LoDuca's deal with the Fish mandated him being placed on the major league roster on a certain day or after x days with the club, etc. and the fact he was doing well in Albuquerque or Treanor's injury had nothing to do with it.

 

My point continues to be we don't know, and we won't know until it plays itself out.

david ross is a free agent. i think he would have been a better pick up than lo duca, at least he could play some defense behind the plate and has some pop in his bat.

Ideally what you're looking for is Hanley (or someone from the 7, 8, 9 spot in subsequent innings) being on base for LoDuca to move over or drive in, at least if you're interested in how he does situationally.

 

Getting a single with nobody on almost doesn't count :D

Not a big fan of the pickup because I thought it might cost Baker some playing time which would be NUTZ; trust me when I tell you guys that this Baker kid is gonna work out very nicely for us, you can't teach that kind of sweet lefty swing! But on the other hand, I could see LoDuca possibly getting some run at 1st base or the OF against lefties and in the #2 spot which has basically been a black hole for us this year. Hermida is NOT a #2 hitter (I think Baker has the potential to be a #2, but I don't think Fredi makes such a BOLD MOVE) and LoDuca does at least make contact and has the ability to move the runners and make "productive outs" (sac flies, RBI groundouts, etc.), something we have been terrible at. So while I'm not a fan of the move, I can see why it was made.

he probably had a clause in his contract to be called up or he could opt out

 

Not at all true. But when all else fails, make up "facts."

He didn't make anything up Bob. That was a hypothesis. One I've heard from many people already, even before he was called up.

 

At the time he was signed it was well publisized that he would most likely spend most of the time at AAA, at least until the Sept call ups. He knew even then he was going to be the #3 catcher. So yes, that is made up.

 

When he was called up I was more worried about Matt's status. Just got done reading he has a "tingly" feeling when he plays. Much like when you hit your funny bone.

 

All in all, Paulie isn't as bad as most here make him out to be. As is usual, if they don't like a player they exaggerate his downfalls and ignore the good points. Or just make up bad points.

Had to. :)

  • Author

Had to. :)

 

 

The point is, having 3 catchers before September = useless. There is a team need for another bullpen pitcher (especially since Pinto is struggling). Why carry 3 catchers? I think the only other team that does are the Mets (Schneider, Castro, Cancel).

 

Seriously though...it's not common, for a reason.

  • Author

Why must we carry THREE ( :confused ) catchers?

 

 

Again...before I get bashed for this...this was my main point, in the thread. And I still disagree with the idea. I don't see the point of three catchers.

 

The reason I brought up Lo Duca was b/c he was the one getting the least playing time, at the time.

Why must we carry THREE ( :confused ) catchers?

 

 

Again...before I get bashed for this...this was my main point, in the thread. And I still disagree with the idea. I don't see the point of three catchers.

 

The reason I brought up Lo Duca was b/c he was the one getting the least playing time, at the time.

 

 

 

yea there is no reason we should have 3 catchers....but it is hard seeing as lo duca can play 3 positions....and baker has been great......but i don't think it will be a problem once the rosters expand

The point is, having 3 catchers before September = useless. There is a team need for another bullpen pitcher (especially since Pinto is struggling). Why carry 3 catchers? I think the only other team that does are the Mets (Schneider, Castro, Cancel).

 

Seriously though...it's not common, for a reason.

 

How common is it for a team to carry 13 pitchers? Last I looked (when Lo Duca was recalled) there were only 2 teams in the NL besides us carrying 13 pitchers. Since Pinto is struggling so badly and not contributing anything, if he has options left, why didn't we send him to AAA and DFA Hoover instead of DFA'ing Justin Miller? Then we could have 5 guys on the bench and have 7 relievers not named Pinto in the bullpen.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.