DcFishFan

.400 .500 .722 1.222

As in:

Batting 400

Getting on base 50% of his plate appearances

Slugging .722

OPS of 1.222

All I can say is, "wow."

I wasn't one of those ready to burn the FO at the stake for failing to land Manny (the idea of putting either Willingham or Manny at RF is downright terrifying) but what a shot in the arm Manny would've been the past month and change.

We don't KNOW what kind of impact that Manny would have had on this team. You can't look at his impact on the Dodgers and say it would be the same with the Marlins. They are two different teams.

While its a good policy to keep your future in tact, you NEVER know when the next time will be when you have a shot at the playoffs. Sometimes you just have to go for it. If you keep looking to the future, you WILL miss out on a chance in the PRESENT.

We don't KNOW what kind of impact that Manny would have had on this team. You can't look at his impact on the Dodgers and say it would be the same with the Marlins. They are two different teams.

While its a good policy to keep your future in tact, you NEVER know when the next time will be when you have a shot at the playoffs. Sometimes you just have to go for it. If you keep looking to the future, you WILL miss out on a chance in the PRESENT.

You know what else you can't do? You can't say he would have had a different impact with the Marlins. It works both ways buddy. But I honestly felt we still would have been a .500 team with him.

manny would have been a Loan at best there is no way we can resign him and we lose 3 good player for 1 great 1 for 2 months

Thats what you have to think about

And sometimes you need to make moves to get that team to the next level they need to win a championships. Its not very often the Marlins are in contention and have a chance to acquire a player of that calibur. Let's hope they didn't blow their only shot that they will have in a while. With baseball, you never know..this team might not sniff the playoffs again for a long time.

People fail to realize that the Marlins have a .239 average and most importantly a .326 .OBP (ranked 22nd in MLB) in the 2nd half of the season.

The Dodgers have done better in both categories, and Manny's "led" them to a 17-16 record.

Manny can hit 1.000, for all I care. Baseball isn't about stars...it's about team.

The problems far exceed Manny, this 2nd half. Considering the Marlins are below league average in terms of .OBP...who was Manny going to drive in, consistently? Himself?

This doesn't even include the fact that our closer...Kevin Gregg ended up with a 7.02 ERA in the 2nd half, with 4 losses.

This has NOTHING to do with Manny. It has to do with the team. This team was / is just not good enough to make the playoffs. It was a team built for the future, to begin with, and they have just exceeded people's expectations, this year.

The only thing Manny would be doing right now is making us more tense b/c instead of being 7.5 out, we'd probably be 5.5 out...knowing Manny was nothing more than a rental, and we lost good prospects for basically nada.

I'm happy the trade didn't go through.

People fail to realize that the Marlins have a .239 average and most importantly a .326 .OBP (ranked 22nd in MLB) in the 2nd half of the season.

The Dodgers have done better in both categories, and Manny's "led" them to a 17-16 record.

Manny can hit 1.000, for all I care. Baseball isn't about stars...it's about team.

The problems far exceed Manny, this 2nd half. Considering the Marlins are below league average in terms of .OBP...who was Manny going to drive in, consistently? Himself?

This doesn't even include the fact that our closer...Kevin Gregg ended up with a 7.02 ERA in the 2nd half, with 4 losses.

This has NOTHING to do with Manny. It has to do with the team. This team was / is just not good enough to make the playoffs. It was a team built for the future, to begin with, and they have just exceeded people's expectations, this year.

The only thing Manny would be doing right now is making us more tense b/c instead of being 7.5 out, we'd probably be 5.5 out...knowing Manny was nothing more than a rental, and we lost good prospects for basically nada.

Exactly

with hindsight with the way manny has hit the ball it was a mistake not to get him particularly since Hermida has regressed so much this year . While you cant quantify how the team would have played with Manny , I personally believe we would still be the race if we had made the deal

i disagree.

Like Erick said, we're terrible in the second half when it comes to putting men on base. If we would have traded for manny, who would he drive in? Not much, thats for sure.

Im glad the marlins didnt trade for him. We keep our top prospects instead of trading for a 2 month rental that plays when he feels like it.

with hindsight with the way manny has hit the ball it was a mistake not to get him particularly since Hermida has regressed so much this year . While you cant quantify how the team would have played with Manny , I personally believe we would still be the race if we had made the deal

I understand what you're saying, but even if you take Hermida out of the equation, the surrounding players for the Marlins in the 2nd half, would still be doing worse than the Dodgers...who are only 1 game over .500, in a weaker division, WITH MANNY.

And it wouldn't take away our closer's 4 losses and 7+ ERA in the 2nd half, that wouldn't have gotten any better...especially when you consider that putting Manny in RF, would've made the defense even worse, as well.

We would probably be better off a couple games b/c Manny's bat is difference maker material, but Manny couldn't have done it all (as would've been the case if we would've gotten him, judging by our team's 2nd half offensive #'s).

The bottom line is, if we would've gotten Manny and had not made the playoffs (we would not be in a playoff spot with Manny, RIGHT NOW), it would've been one of the worst trades in Marlin history.

Manny hasn't exactly made LA better.

Also, 2 words: Michael Stanton.

He HAS made LA better...he's filled a huge power hole in their line up.

People act like he hasn't improved their team. He has. Andre Ethier, for instance, is starting to hit the ball better than he ever has in his career with Manny hitting behind him.

All they have to do is reach the playoffs...and anything can happen then. They certainly have the pitching to win.

The bottom line is, if we would've gotten Manny and had not made the playoffs (we would not be in a playoff spot with Manny, RIGHT NOW), it would've been one of the worst trades in Marlin history.

While there's no guarantee that Manny would lead us to the playoffs, there's no guarantee about the FUTURE either. Everyone seems to be taking for granted that this team is going to be able to compete in the next several years. What if guys don't pan out? Prospects are prospects for a reason...they are not locks to succeed, or to succeed with this team for that matter. What if there are key injuries? What about the other teams in this division? Its not like the Marlins exist in a vacuum...everyone else is going to try and improve as well. You can't ALWAYS just look at the future. Just like you can't always just look at the present. To win, you have to consider both.

While there's no guarantee that Manny would lead us to the playoffs, there's no guarantee about the FUTURE either. Everyone seems to be taking for granted that this team is going to be able to compete in the next several years. What if guys don't pan out? Prospects are prospects for a reason...they are not locks to succeed, or to succeed with this team for that matter. What if there are key injuries? What about the other teams in this division? Its not like the Marlins exist in a vacuum...everyone else is going to try and improve as well. You can't ALWAYS just look at the future. Just like you can't always just look at the present. To win, you have to consider both.

The problem is, Manny is 36, and was in no way going to re-sign here.

You can't just trade away prospects...even if they are just prospects, as you say.

Manny would've been with this organization for 2 MONTHS. Prospects like Stanton, Coghlan, etc. are going to be here for YEARS. And right now...Mike Stanton is looking like a future phenom, to be honest.

While I agree with you...and would like to see the Marlins front office spend a little more this offseason...you can't just give up on your young players b/c they are "no guarantee."

Exactly

X3 Almost word for word.

Side note...

I saw Beinfest at the Ice Cream Festival and he mistakenly thought I was asking him about Manny. (Actually I had asked him if he had ever seen Benny play before, but it was pretty noisy there. Benito Santiago was one of the celebrity servers.) Admin got a bit defensive and said, "Can Manny pitch?" That kinda hints that we weren't really pursuing him as heavily as the talking heads made everyone think. And I don't care what the sports talk show people say, I just can't see that big ego okaying a trade to a team with the worst attendance in the majors. When trade rumors started flying I always thought he would end up with a large market team that draws and wouldn't have an immediate affect on the BoSox.

A defensive liability on a defensive challenged team? A couple months of a bat for what may be huge payoffs on future players? No thank you.