1st base

WildMarlinMan2003

I like how our FO creates open competition. I mean look how it worked out last year with Jorge Cantu and Jose Castillo. It pushed Cantu to put up a .277, 29 HR, 95 RBI statline!

This year we have

Gaby Sanchez VS. Dallas McPherson (maybe keeping the seat warm for one year before we see Logan Morrison)

Sanchez hit .335/.422/.547 with 16 homers, 17 steals, 58 walks, 58 strikeouts for Carolina. He was 3 for 8 in the majors. I like this guy.

McPherson would hit 20-30 HR in a full time role but will K alot. The thing I like about him is his patience and his ability to draw a BB as well.

BTW, has anyone considered this option for 2008 worst comes to worst........

What if -

A) McPherson gets hurt like he always does in ST

B) Sanchez has a horrible ST

My option would be move Uggla to 1st base and insert Chris Coghlan (an excellent defender and hitter).

The lineup would look like this.....

1) Maybin (CF)

2) Baker ©

3) Ramirez (SS)

4) Cantu (3B)

5) Uggla (1B)

6) Willingham (LF)

7) Hermida (RF)/Ross (RF)

8) Coghlan (2B)

What's your opinion on Hermida? I wouldn't trade him just yet. I would give him one more year to prove himself because I believe:

A) He's better than his numbers indicated

and

B) Ross isn't as good as his 2008 numbers indicated

We have to watch John Raynor as well. He looks like he can hit and steal at ANY level. Should be an exciting offseason!

I like how our FO creates open competition. I mean look how it worked out last year with Jorge Cantu and Jose Castillo. It pushed Cantu to put up a .277, 29 HR, 95 RBI statline!

This year we have

Gaby Sanchez VS. Dallas McPherson (maybe keeping the seat warm for one year before we see Logan Morrison)

Sanchez hit .335/.422/.547 with 16 homers, 17 steals, 58 walks, 58 strikeouts for Carolina. He was 3 for 8 in the majors. I like this guy.

McPherson would hit 20-30 HR in a full time role but will K alot. The thing I like about him is his patience and his ability to draw a BB as well.

What if -

My option would be move Uggla to 1st base and insert Chris Coghlan (an excellent defender and hitter).

1) Maybin (CF)

2) Baker ?

3) Ramirez (SS)

4) Cantu (3B)

5) Uggla (1B)

6) Willingham (LF)

8) Coghlan (2B)

It seems to me that you want McPherson and Sanchez to do bad so you can plug Coghlan in but incase that were to happen we will still have Cantu at 1B and Helms in 3B.

This year we have

What if -

1) Maybin (CF)

2) Baker ?

3) Ramirez (SS)

4) Cantu (3B)

5) Uggla (1B)

6) Willingham (LF)

8) Coghlan (2B)

He is terrible in the field. But I dont know about uggla at 1st i mean hes like 5'11. I guess it could work if worst comes to worst.

Logan Morrison is probably in the competition too, although 1) he'd have to blow everybody out of the water and 2) we wouldn't start him out the gate right away for financial and "you just plain don't do that" reasons. But Logan could put himself in a position of "ok, you're going to AA. If you do well out the gates and Gaby struggles, we're not going to hesitate to call you up.

And yeah, can't forget Hammer in the 1b mix.

My feeling is that Gaby Sanchez is the favorite to take 1B. And if he wins the spot, I think you'll see him as the main 1B with no platoon. But if he does have a terrible start, he'll probably be demoted in favor of McPherson as the new main 1B. I doubt you'll see anything crazy like Uggla being moved to 1B. Hammer being moved to 1B if both Sanchez (who'll be given a lot of rope IMHO) and McPherson fail is within the realm of possibility, but as a latch ditch maneuver.

My feeling is that Gaby Sanchez is the favorite to take 1B. And if he wins the spot, I think you'll see him as the main 1B with no platoon. But if he does have a terrible start, he'll probably be demoted in favor of McPherson as the new main 1B. I doubt you'll see anything crazy like Uggla being moved to 1B. Hammer being moved to 1B if both Sanchez (who'll be given a lot of rope IMHO) and McPherson fail is within the realm of possibility, but as a latch ditch maneuver.

I don't think this is the case unless they trade one of the veteran outfielders.

See option thread.

I really believe that Morrison is sooo good right now that he may just claim 1st base outright in ST. I feel for Sanchez but Logan may just leapfrog him

There's no point in making this move, this early.

We want Morrison to stay as long as possible, long-term.

Cantu / Sanchez / Helms can handle the role for now.

Let Morrison play in AA this year...and see what happens.

No reason to rush arbritration...and development.

Fredi's a moron if Gaby Sanchez isn't platooned. It's a position you have to get power out of and that is something Gaby Sanchez will not provide.

If Morrison hits like .400 with 8 or 9 homers in the spring do you really believe he would be going to New Orleans? The thing is Morrison does have that type of ability and talent. If you believe it may not happen fine, but it is not farfetched. The key would be if he would even be given that amount of at bats. His performance in the AFL is key for him to be given a serious look

I don't think this is the case unless they trade one of the veteran outfielders.

See option thread.

The thing is that a key to your argument in the options thread is that the Marlins keep Andino because they "like him". At this point, he is the most expendable of the bunch. A much more likely scenario in my mind is Andino getting thrown into some kind of trade package this offseason to make room for the players the team needs most with the big club - Sanchez and McPherson.

No matter how much the Marlins or their fans "like" a player, Beinfest has always shown a willingness to ruthlessly cut a liked player loose when he deems it is best for the team.

Fredi's a moron if Gaby Sanchez isn't platooned. It's a position you have to get power out of and that is something Gaby Sanchez will not provide.

Traditionally you expect power from your first baseman. But we aren't a traditional team. Our biggest power hitters are at positions you traditionally expect better gloves than bats - short and second. We have more than enough power in our lineup as it stands to do without getting 30 homeruns from our first baseman.

Traditionally you expect power from your first baseman. But we aren't a traditional team. Our biggest power hitters are at positions you traditionally expect better gloves than bats - short and second. We have more than enough power in our lineup as it stands to do without getting 30 homeruns from our first baseman.

I totally agree with you. Just let the Sanchez get some at bats, in my opinion he will demonstrate great power (20-25HR) even though we aren't going to be very dependable on him to hit homers like Jacobs because we will have Hanly, Uggla, Cantu and if Hammer stays healthy he could go back to the 20's HR like in 06-07. As long as Sanchez hits with avg.(.280-.300+) and gets decent extra base hits(30's) and few HR(15-20) I'm cool with him.

If Morrison hits like .400 with 8 or 9 homers in the spring do you really believe he would be going to New Orleans? The thing is Morrison does have that type of ability and talent. If you believe it may not happen fine, but it is not farfetched. The key would be if he would even be given that amount of at bats. His performance in the AFL is key for him to be given a serious look

He won't get the at bats to warrant a long look in ST

I totally agree with you. Just let the Sanchez get some at bats, in my opinion he will demonstrate great power (20-25HR) even though we aren't going to be very dependable on him to hit homers like Jacobs because we will have Hanly, Uggla, Cantu and if Hammer stays healthy he could go back to the 20's HR like in 06-07. As long as Sanchez hits with avg.(.280-.300+) and gets decent extra base hits(30's) and few HR(15-20) I'm cool with him.

If Gaby Sanchez hits more than 8 home runs I will buy you an X-Box.

If Gaby Sanchez hits more than 8 home runs I will buy you an X-Box.

If he gets 400-500 PA, that is a horrible horrible bet.

Based on his minor league career, at 500 at bats he would have anywhere from 5-15, but IMO MLB pitching is going to eliminate the little power he has.