November 30, 200817 yr I think there are a lot of reasons to like Dallas McPherson. He is as yet still un-proven at the major league level, but he brings a lot of upside and there is a lot of reason to believe that he will come a lot closer to realizing it next year than in previous, injury-ridden major league attempts. With that said, I don't think we could expect McPherson to exceed Cantu's production; if anything I can imagine the two being roughly equal. It's not Cantu that we should be kicking to the curb here, so to speak. Unless spring training shows otherwise, both Cantu and McPherson should go into the year with starting jobs. If anything, what I'm worried about are guys like Sanchez and Morrison being thrust over him. I know there are a lot of reasons to like both, but I can't see either one of them outplaying Dallas next year. Sanchez is an average prospect who has always been too old for his level and who offers little in the way of power projection at a premium power position. He can be a fine hitter, but not a dominant one. Morrison seems to bring a bit more upside but he hasn't even really played much in the high levels, and there is absolutely no reason to rush him. Most people seem to think that we should be carrying both on our opening day roster and I think that is folly. McPherson should be given a crack at the job before any of these guys and he can co-exist with Cantu just fine.
November 30, 200817 yr Are you sure McPherson is out of options? I thought we went through this either last spring or this summer and we were all surprised that he had a number left. He only has slightly over 2 years of MLB service time. I honestly can't say definitively but I'd question that...at least for the moment. Positive. It doesn't have to do with service time, it has to do with when was the player placed on a 40 man roster which was years and years ago with the Angels. This is the reason why the Angels let him go in the first place, they couldn't guarantee him a 25 man roster spot so he became a minor league free agent. We got him on a minor league deal which explains last year. No more freebies with Dallas. The other notable 'out of options' that don't have a locked roster spots, just for throwing it out there sake, are Cruz, Andino, Kensing, Meyer, and J. Delgado. I'd say it's basically a 100% lock McPherson and Cruz make the team, Andino will have to beat out Bonifacio (who can be stashed in AAA) for his spot, and Kensing, Meyer, and J. Delgado will have to fight off Tucker, Tank, Vanden Hurk, Mobley, Badenhop, and minor league free agents for the 6th and 7th bullpen slots.
November 30, 200817 yr Author Are you sure McPherson is out of options? I thought we went through this either last spring or this summer and we were all surprised that he had a number left. He only has slightly over 2 years of MLB service time. I honestly can't say definitively but I'd question that...at least for the moment. Positive. It doesn't have to do with service time, it has to do with when was the player placed on a 40 man roster which was years and years ago with the Angels. This is the reason why the Angels let him go in the first place, they couldn't guarantee him a 25 man roster spot so he became a minor league free agent. We got him on a minor league deal which explains last year. No more freebies with Dallas. The other notable 'out of options' that don't have a locked roster spots, just for throwing it out there sake, are Cruz, Andino, Kensing, Meyer, and J. Delgado. I'd say it's basically a 100% lock McPherson and Cruz make the team, Andino will have to beat out Bonifacio (who can be stashed in AAA) for his spot, and Kensing, Meyer, and J. Delgado will have to fight off Tucker, Tank, Vanden Hurk, Mobley, Badenhop, and minor league free agents for the 6th and 7th bullpen slots. I don't think anyone should make the 25 man roster just because they are out of options. The Marlins should have some players that have the team made based on past performance and everyone else should have to make the team out of spring training. The only locks on the roster should be Baker, Treanor, Uggla, Ramirez, Cantu, Helms, Ross, Hermida, Maybin and Amezaga of the position players. The pitchers should be Johnson, Miller, Nolasco, Sanchez, Volstad, Lindstrom, Nelson, Nunez and Pinto. The other six spots should go to the players that Fredi thinks gives his team the best chance to win on a nightly basis.
November 30, 200817 yr Actually Dallas still had an option last year. He had qualified for a 4th option year, which is where a lot of the confusion had come in. But the most a player can have is 4 options, and that's how many he has used.
November 30, 200817 yr Actually Dallas still had an option last year. He had qualified for a 4th option year, which is where a lot of the confusion had come in. But the most a player can have is 4 options, and that's how many he has used. Injury exception for a new team? Because why on earth would the Angels release him if they could have sat him in AAA.
November 30, 200817 yr arbitration eligible, he was non-tendered. I guess they expected him to get a few mil based off merit and didn't view it was worth it based off his back issues.
November 30, 200817 yr I don't think anyone should make the 25 man roster just because they are out of options. The Marlins should have some players that have the team made based on past performance and everyone else should have to make the team out of spring training. The only locks on the roster should be Baker, Treanor, Uggla, Ramirez, Cantu, Helms, Ross, Hermida, Maybin and Amezaga of the position players. The pitchers should be Johnson, Miller, Nolasco, Sanchez, Volstad, Lindstrom, Nelson, Nunez and Pinto. The other six spots should go to the players that Fredi thinks gives his team the best chance to win on a nightly basis. This is very short sited player management. We are still emerging as a contender and need to continually build the team and preserve as much talent as possible. The Marlins have the roster space to groom McPherson and Cruz on the MLB roster and should absolutely do so. They both can turn out to be very good major league players, and it is a waste to let this guys go. Completely different class of player than the Andino and J. Delgado's of the world. This leaves four spots. I expect these option battles: 25th Man/2nd Middle Infielder - Andino versus Bonifacio 6th Reliever (RHP) - Kensing (arbitration, maybe a DFA), J. Delgado versus Tucker, Vanden Hurk, Gardner, Mobley, and minor league free agents 7th Reliever (LHP) - Meyer versus Tank. Incredible longshots to West and Thompson here The last spot will be G. Sanchez holding off the outfielders - Carroll, Raynor, De Aza. This isn't an option battle so no big deal here. I expect McPherson, Cruz, Bonifacio, Meyer, and G. Sanchez to make the team. I have no idea how the 6th bullpen spot for a 5th right hander is going to turn out. Wouldn't be shocked if it is any of them, and it really doesn't matter who. This could be a slot for someone like Pavano as well.
November 30, 200817 yr I don't think anyone should make the 25 man roster just because they are out of options. The Marlins should have some players that have the team made based on past performance and everyone else should have to make the team out of spring training. The only locks on the roster should be Baker, Treanor, Uggla, Ramirez, Cantu, Helms, Ross, Hermida, Maybin and Amezaga of the position players. The pitchers should be Johnson, Miller, Nolasco, Sanchez, Volstad, Lindstrom, Nelson, Nunez and Pinto. The other six spots should go to the players that Fredi thinks gives his team the best chance to win on a nightly basis. This is very short sited player management. We are still emerging as a contender and need to continually build the team and preserve as much talent as possible. The Marlins have the roster space to groom McPherson and Cruz on the MLB roster and should absolutely do so. They both can turn out to be very good major league players, and it is a waste to let this guys go. Completely different class of player than the Andino and J. Delgado's of the world. This leaves four spots. I expect these option battles: 25th Man/2nd Middle Infielder - Andino versus Bonifacio 6th Reliever (RHP) - Kensing (arbitration, maybe a DFA), J. Delgado versus Tucker, Vanden Hurk, Gardner, Mobley, and minor league free agents 7th Reliever (LHP) - Meyer versus Tank. Incredible longshots to West and Thompson here The last spot will be G. Sanchez holding off the outfielders - Carroll, Raynor, De Aza. This isn't an option battle so no big deal here. I expect McPherson, Cruz, Bonifacio, Meyer, and G. Sanchez to make the team. I have no idea how the 6th bullpen spot for a 5th right hander is going to turn out. Wouldn't be shocked if it is any of them, and it really doesn't matter who. This could be a slot for someone like Pavano as well. West shouldn't even be held in consideration as the 7th reliever guy. He has too much potential as a starter, to start using him in a relief role.
November 30, 200817 yr I don't think anyone should make the 25 man roster just because they are out of options. The Marlins should have some players that have the team made based on past performance and everyone else should have to make the team out of spring training. The only locks on the roster should be Baker, Treanor, Uggla, Ramirez, Cantu, Helms, Ross, Hermida, Maybin and Amezaga of the position players. The pitchers should be Johnson, Miller, Nolasco, Sanchez, Volstad, Lindstrom, Nelson, Nunez and Pinto. The other six spots should go to the players that Fredi thinks gives his team the best chance to win on a nightly basis. This is very short sited player management. We are still emerging as a contender and need to continually build the team and preserve as much talent as possible. The Marlins have the roster space to groom McPherson and Cruz on the MLB roster and should absolutely do so. They both can turn out to be very good major league players, and it is a waste to let this guys go. Completely different class of player than the Andino and J. Delgado's of the world. This leaves four spots. I expect these option battles: 25th Man/2nd Middle Infielder - Andino versus Bonifacio 6th Reliever (RHP) - Kensing (arbitration, maybe a DFA), J. Delgado versus Tucker, Vanden Hurk, Gardner, Mobley, and minor league free agents 7th Reliever (LHP) - Meyer versus Tank. Incredible longshots to West and Thompson here The last spot will be G. Sanchez holding off the outfielders - Carroll, Raynor, De Aza. This isn't an option battle so no big deal here. I expect McPherson, Cruz, Bonifacio, Meyer, and G. Sanchez to make the team. I have no idea how the 6th bullpen spot for a 5th right hander is going to turn out. Wouldn't be shocked if it is any of them, and it really doesn't matter who. This could be a slot for someone like Pavano as well. West shouldn't even be held in consideration as the 7th reliever guy. He has too much potential as a starter, to start using him in a relief role. Weeellll... He did say incredible long shot. I would go with that. I like keeping guys in the minors that we are grooming just so they can get the starts in. But the team seems to like to make pitchers versatile. There was even a Beinfest quote on that topic recently. I'm not much of a Dallas fan. And a recent article at marlins.com about Gaby seems to imply that the battle for an IF spot is between these two guys. Take that for what it's worth, I guess. But the Winter Meetings are right around the corner. That means trades. I'm still in the "wait and see" mode right now. And there is always that early Feb, Gonzo-like signing that the team seems to pull off just about every year. Admin and Michael aren't done tinkering yet. ST could have been very interesting this year with some good battles going on for a slot n the 25 man roster. I think the WBC hurts us if the team lets anyone that wants to, to go ahead and play for for their home country. But I'm not a WBC fan either. We didn't even take advantage of the early opportunity for our seats at any of the games here. Hindsight being what it is, maybe we should have and then scalped them.
November 30, 200817 yr Author I don't think anyone should make the 25 man roster just because they are out of options. The Marlins should have some players that have the team made based on past performance and everyone else should have to make the team out of spring training. The only locks on the roster should be Baker, Treanor, Uggla, Ramirez, Cantu, Helms, Ross, Hermida, Maybin and Amezaga of the position players. The pitchers should be Johnson, Miller, Nolasco, Sanchez, Volstad, Lindstrom, Nelson, Nunez and Pinto. The other six spots should go to the players that Fredi thinks gives his team the best chance to win on a nightly basis. This is very short sited player management. We are still emerging as a contender and need to continually build the team and preserve as much talent as possible. The Marlins have the roster space to groom McPherson and Cruz on the MLB roster and should absolutely do so. They both can turn out to be very good major league players, and it is a waste to let this guys go. Completely different class of player than the Andino and J. Delgado's of the world. This leaves four spots. I expect these option battles: 25th Man/2nd Middle Infielder - Andino versus Bonifacio 6th Reliever (RHP) - Kensing (arbitration, maybe a DFA), J. Delgado versus Tucker, Vanden Hurk, Gardner, Mobley, and minor league free agents 7th Reliever (LHP) - Meyer versus Tank. Incredible longshots to West and Thompson here The last spot will be G. Sanchez holding off the outfielders - Carroll, Raynor, De Aza. This isn't an option battle so no big deal here. I expect McPherson, Cruz, Bonifacio, Meyer, and G. Sanchez to make the team. I have no idea how the 6th bullpen spot for a 5th right hander is going to turn out. Wouldn't be shocked if it is any of them, and it really doesn't matter who. This could be a slot for someone like Pavano as well. West shouldn't even be held in consideration as the 7th reliever guy. He has too much potential as a starter, to start using him in a relief role. Weeellll... He did say incredible long shot. I would go with that. I like keeping guys in the minors that we are grooming just so they can get the starts in. But the team seems to like to make pitchers versatile. There was even a Beinfest quote on that topic recently. I'm not much of a Dallas fan. And a recent article at marlins.com about Gaby seems to imply that the battle for an IF spot is between these two guys. Take that for what it's worth, I guess. But the Winter Meetings are right around the corner. That means trades. I'm still in the "wait and see" mode right now. And there is always that early Feb, Gonzo-like signing that the team seems to pull off just about every year. Admin and Michael aren't done tinkering yet. ST could have been very interesting this year with some good battles going on for a slot n the 25 man roster. I think the WBC hurts us if the team lets anyone that wants to, to go ahead and play for for their home country. But I'm not a WBC fan either. We didn't even take advantage of the early opportunity for our seats at any of the games here. Hindsight being what it is, maybe we should have and then scalped them. I really hate the WBC. Pitchers aren't ready to go yet and they are throwing full go. I remember the last time this tournament was played when Luis Ayala of the Nationals tore up his elbow and he has never been the same. It will be interesting to see who the Marlins bring in on minor league deals to try to make the team. I would not at all be surprised to see the Marlins take some fliers on 1B or 3B with the idea of giving them a chance to compete against McPherson and Sanchez for a starting job.
November 30, 200817 yr I don't think anyone should make the 25 man roster just because they are out of options. The Marlins should have some players that have the team made based on past performance and everyone else should have to make the team out of spring training. The only locks on the roster should be Baker, Treanor, Uggla, Ramirez, Cantu, Helms, Ross, Hermida, Maybin and Amezaga of the position players. The pitchers should be Johnson, Miller, Nolasco, Sanchez, Volstad, Lindstrom, Nelson, Nunez and Pinto. The other six spots should go to the players that Fredi thinks gives his team the best chance to win on a nightly basis. This is very short sited player management. We are still emerging as a contender and need to continually build the team and preserve as much talent as possible. The Marlins have the roster space to groom McPherson and Cruz on the MLB roster and should absolutely do so. They both can turn out to be very good major league players, and it is a waste to let this guys go. Completely different class of player than the Andino and J. Delgado's of the world. This leaves four spots. I expect these option battles: 25th Man/2nd Middle Infielder - Andino versus Bonifacio 6th Reliever (RHP) - Kensing (arbitration, maybe a DFA), J. Delgado versus Tucker, Vanden Hurk, Gardner, Mobley, and minor league free agents 7th Reliever (LHP) - Meyer versus Tank. Incredible longshots to West and Thompson here The last spot will be G. Sanchez holding off the outfielders - Carroll, Raynor, De Aza. This isn't an option battle so no big deal here. I expect McPherson, Cruz, Bonifacio, Meyer, and G. Sanchez to make the team. I have no idea how the 6th bullpen spot for a 5th right hander is going to turn out. Wouldn't be shocked if it is any of them, and it really doesn't matter who. This could be a slot for someone like Pavano as well. West shouldn't even be held in consideration as the 7th reliever guy. He has too much potential as a starter, to start using him in a relief role. Weeellll... He did say incredible long shot. I would go with that. I like keeping guys in the minors that we are grooming just so they can get the starts in. But the team seems to like to make pitchers versatile. There was even a Beinfest quote on that topic recently. I'm not much of a Dallas fan. And a recent article at marlins.com about Gaby seems to imply that the battle for an IF spot is between these two guys. Take that for what it's worth, I guess. But the Winter Meetings are right around the corner. That means trades. I'm still in the "wait and see" mode right now. And there is always that early Feb, Gonzo-like signing that the team seems to pull off just about every year. Admin and Michael aren't done tinkering yet. ST could have been very interesting this year with some good battles going on for a slot n the 25 man roster. I think the WBC hurts us if the team lets anyone that wants to, to go ahead and play for for their home country. But I'm not a WBC fan either. We didn't even take advantage of the early opportunity for our seats at any of the games here. Hindsight being what it is, maybe we should have and then scalped them. I really hate the WBC. Pitchers aren't ready to go yet and they are throwing full go. I remember the last time this tournament was played when Luis Ayala of the Nationals tore up his elbow and he has never been the same. It will be interesting to see who the Marlins bring in on minor league deals to try to make the team. I would not at all be surprised to see the Marlins take some fliers on 1B or 3B with the idea of giving them a chance to compete against McPherson and Sanchez for a starting job. I disagree. The WBC is a great addition to baseball. The problem is the timing. To have this tournament at this time of the year is ridiculous. I would rather it be at the end of the baseball season when players can have the entire offseason to recover. I loved watching that tournament and look forward to it again this season.
November 30, 200817 yr Just don't be so quick to jettison Cantu. You mentioned this in your post, but the overwhelming factor in this whole debate is the 4th outfielder. If Cantu or McPherson can do it, we don't need to make any moves besides upgrading the backup catcher. I think this basically comes down to Cantu, as McPherson's back will always be an issue. C - Baker / Right Handed Backup 1B - Cantu / G. Sanchez / Helms 2B - Uggla / Bonifacio / Amezaga SS - Hanley / Amezaga / Bonfiacio 3B - McPherson / Cantu / Helms LF - Ross / Cantu / Bonifacio CF - Maybin / Ross / Amezaga RF - Hermida / Ross / Maybin I'd want expected playing time splits of this 1B - Cantu/Gaby 81 starts each. Cantu more RHP, Gaby all LHP and some RHP 2B/SS - Mostly Hanley and Dan, just off days for the rest 3B - McPherson 80-90 vs RHP, Cantu 30 vs LHP, let Helms/Bonifacio slum the other games LF - Ross 120 vs all LHP some RHP, Cantu 30 vs RHP, Bonifacio slum the rest CF - Maybin 140 games, Ross and Amezaga splitting the rest RF - Hopefully Hermida emerges as an everyday (but if he doesn't we could try combinations of Gaby/McPherson/Cantu 1B/3B/LF and move Ross over) It basically creates options. That 4th OF spot is the big question that is left because it allows us the flexibility to move EVERYBODY around. I think it's more important to have a 4th OF to protect the uncertainty with Maybin and Hermida, versus having a billion infielders, and even the "young" ones were college kids and an older McPherson getting his career back in line. If Cantu can't do it, we need to find a guy who can play 1B/LF who can protect Gaby/Maybin/Hermida (all very important long term properties), and roll the dice with a McPherson/Helms/Bonifacio 3B situation (all not important long term properties). Speaking of 4th outfielders, whatever happened to a little known marlin known as Alejandro DeAza. I feel bad for this kid b/c the last two years he was slated to make the team and both times he got injured. Couldn't he be used as our 4th guy?
December 1, 200817 yr Just don't be so quick to jettison Cantu. You mentioned this in your post, but the overwhelming factor in this whole debate is the 4th outfielder. If Cantu or McPherson can do it, we don't need to make any moves besides upgrading the backup catcher. I think this basically comes down to Cantu, as McPherson's back will always be an issue. C - Baker / Right Handed Backup 1B - Cantu / G. Sanchez / Helms 2B - Uggla / Bonifacio / Amezaga SS - Hanley / Amezaga / Bonfiacio 3B - McPherson / Cantu / Helms LF - Ross / Cantu / Bonifacio CF - Maybin / Ross / Amezaga RF - Hermida / Ross / Maybin I'd want expected playing time splits of this 1B - Cantu/Gaby 81 starts each. Cantu more RHP, Gaby all LHP and some RHP 2B/SS - Mostly Hanley and Dan, just off days for the rest 3B - McPherson 80-90 vs RHP, Cantu 30 vs LHP, let Helms/Bonifacio slum the other games LF - Ross 120 vs all LHP some RHP, Cantu 30 vs RHP, Bonifacio slum the rest CF - Maybin 140 games, Ross and Amezaga splitting the rest RF - Hopefully Hermida emerges as an everyday (but if he doesn't we could try combinations of Gaby/McPherson/Cantu 1B/3B/LF and move Ross over) It basically creates options. That 4th OF spot is the big question that is left because it allows us the flexibility to move EVERYBODY around. I think it's more important to have a 4th OF to protect the uncertainty with Maybin and Hermida, versus having a billion infielders, and even the "young" ones were college kids and an older McPherson getting his career back in line. If Cantu can't do it, we need to find a guy who can play 1B/LF who can protect Gaby/Maybin/Hermida (all very important long term properties), and roll the dice with a McPherson/Helms/Bonifacio 3B situation (all not important long term properties). Speaking of 4th outfielders, whatever happened to a little known marlin known as Alejandro DeAza. I feel bad for this kid b/c the last two years he was slated to make the team and both times he got injured. Couldn't he be used as our 4th guy? I like the guy too. But he fell out of favor with the stats people because of his lackluster offensive performance when he came back from injury in 2007. He should be a non roster invitee for ST and compete for a job. Wouldn't surprise me if he makes the team.
December 1, 200817 yr I like the guy too. But he fell out of favor with the stats people because of his lackluster offensive performance when he came back from injury in 2007. He should be a non roster invitee for ST and compete for a job. Wouldn't surprise me if he makes the team. It would be shocking if he makes the team.
December 2, 200817 yr I like the guy too. But he fell out of favor with the stats people because of his lackluster offensive performance when he came back from injury in 2007. He should be a non roster invitee for ST and compete for a job. Wouldn't surprise me if he makes the team. It would be shocking if he makes the team. Not really. He made it the last 2 years and I don't think the competition is that much better this Spring. Unless trades and/or FA signings change that.
December 2, 200817 yr I like the guy too. But he fell out of favor with the stats people because of his lackluster offensive performance when he came back from injury in 2007. He should be a non roster invitee for ST and compete for a job. Wouldn't surprise me if he makes the team. It would be shocking if he makes the team. Not really. He made it the last 2 years and I don't think the competition is that much better this Spring. Unless trades and/or FA signings change that. At least at the moment, we have a lot more outfield depth than we did. I know all he did was get injured, but he's still had a chance and really did nothing with him. The organization is probably going to stick him in the back pocket and only call on him if needed.
December 2, 200817 yr I like the guy too. But he fell out of favor with the stats people because of his lackluster offensive performance when he came back from injury in 2007. He should be a non roster invitee for ST and compete for a job. Wouldn't surprise me if he makes the team. It would be shocking if he makes the team. Not really. He made it the last 2 years and I don't think the competition is that much better this Spring. Unless trades and/or FA signings change that. Yea, you don't get it. Ross, Hermida, Maybin, Amezaga, Bonifacio, Carroll, and Raynor, are ahead of him, with Cousins, Petersen, and Morrison right on their tails in AA. It will be shocking if most of these go down or fail and somehow De Aza appears as a top option from this group. There is a reason he was waived and no one claimed him. The fact he made it the last 2 years goes more to how awful our OF situation was, and not a compliment to his ability. If De Aza plays 1 inning for the Marlins ever again, we are in serious trouble.
December 2, 200817 yr I like the guy too. But he fell out of favor with the stats people because of his lackluster offensive performance when he came back from injury in 2007. He should be a non roster invitee for ST and compete for a job. Wouldn't surprise me if he makes the team. It would be shocking if he makes the team. Not really. He made it the last 2 years and I don't think the competition is that much better this Spring. Unless trades and/or FA signings change that. Yea, you don't get it. Ross, Hermida, Maybin, Amezaga, Bonifacio, Carroll, and Raynor, are ahead of him, with Cousins, Petersen, and Morrison right on their tails in AA. It will be shocking if most of these go down or fail and somehow De Aza appears as a top option from this group. There is a reason he was waived and no one claimed him. The fact he made it the last 2 years goes more to how awful our OF situation was, and not a compliment to his ability. If De Aza plays 1 inning for the Marlins ever again, we are in serious trouble. Wow, Lou. DeAza must have really done something bad to you. :lol
December 3, 200817 yr Author Lou just watched De Aza play and he had flashbacks of watching Reggie Abercrombie play.
December 3, 200817 yr I like the guy too. But he fell out of favor with the stats people because of his lackluster offensive performance when he came back from injury in 2007. He should be a non roster invitee for ST and compete for a job. Wouldn't surprise me if he makes the team. It would be shocking if he makes the team. Not really. He made it the last 2 years and I don't think the competition is that much better this Spring. Unless trades and/or FA signings change that. If De Aza plays 1 inning for the Marlins ever again, we are in serious trouble. I don't know if I would go that far. I liked what I saw at times and there's no reason why he'd be bad as a 4th/5th outfielder at some point during the season. He's just never going to be starting caliber.
December 4, 200817 yr I like the guy too. But he fell out of favor with the stats people because of his lackluster offensive performance when he came back from injury in 2007. He should be a non roster invitee for ST and compete for a job. Wouldn't surprise me if he makes the team. It would be shocking if he makes the team. Not really. He made it the last 2 years and I don't think the competition is that much better this Spring. Unless trades and/or FA signings change that. Yea, you don't get it. Ross, Hermida, Maybin, Amezaga, Bonifacio, Carroll, and Raynor, are ahead of him, with Cousins, Petersen, and Morrison right on their tails in AA. It will be shocking if most of these go down or fail and somehow De Aza appears as a top option from this group. There is a reason he was waived and no one claimed him. The fact he made it the last 2 years goes more to how awful our OF situation was, and not a compliment to his ability. If De Aza plays 1 inning for the Marlins ever again, we are in serious trouble. Can't argue that Carroll, Raynor, and maybe Bonificio are ahead of him on the FOs radar. I also think it is because Raynor and Carroll both got hurt early in Winter Ball as to why Hermida is still here. I think the team wanted a good hard look at those two before ST started so they could mke a decision. But De Aza not being claimed off wavers has more to do with teams not knowing what he is capable of because of the injuries more than his "inability" to play the OF. But we shall see what next week brings. Trades are going to happen at the Winter Meetings. If De Aza is still here for ST, then he will be a non roster invitee and has a legitimate shot at making the team. He has speed, his defense is above average, and he makes contact with the ball. All things the team is looking for.
December 4, 200817 yr Can't argue that Carroll, Raynor, and maybe Bonificio are ahead of him on the FOs radar. I also think it is because Raynor and Carroll both got hurt early in Winter Ball as to why Hermida is still here. I think the team wanted a good hard look at those two before ST started so they could mke a decision. But De Aza not being claimed off wavers has more to do with teams not knowing what he is capable of because of the injuries more than his "inability" to play the OF. But we shall see what next week brings. Trades are going to happen at the Winter Meetings. If De Aza is still here for ST, then he will be a non roster invitee and has a legitimate shot at making the team. He has speed, his defense is above average, and he makes contact with the ball. All things the team is looking for. I think Raynor and Carroll's injuries have nothing to do with Hermida as neither of them are left handed, or project to be anything more than reserves at the big league. I think team's know De Aza is horrible and don't want him for free because he won't amount to anything, and he's coming off injury. I think De Aza has no shot at the final roster even if he is in Spring training for the aforementioned 10 better outfielder options this organization has above AA. He also does not have above average defense, and is horrible at contact as evidence by his 25% K rate in the big leagues. Which isn't going to change as he has no BB potential and no power stroke to threaten pitchers. But yes. He is fast!
December 4, 200817 yr i really am not liking mcpherson either......he could be a good insurance policy but thats it. cantu's defense improved dramitcally as the year went on and i trusted him more than anyone at first base....if that trade for johnathan sanchez goes through i will f***in lose it.
December 4, 200817 yr i really am not liking mcpherson either......he could be a good insurance policy but thats it. cantu's defense improved dramitcally as the year went on and i trusted him more than anyone at first base....if that trade for johnathan sanchez goes through i will f***in lose it. What isn't there to like about what McPherson should bring to this team in a full-time role? Seriously.
December 4, 200817 yr i really am not liking mcpherson either......he could be a good insurance policy but thats it. cantu's defense improved dramitcally as the year went on and i trusted him more than anyone at first base....if that trade for johnathan sanchez goes through i will f***in lose it. What isn't there to like about what McPherson should bring to this team in a full-time role? Seriously. It still wouldn't be a full-time role... It'd be the Cantu/Gaby/McP platoon, except you'd replace Cantu with Helms... still (in a perfect world) playing the splits and getting max production
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.