December 11, 200817 yr I wouldn't trade Ryan Tucker. And this is just further proof that the Olsen deal was/is a piece of crap. Pretty sure Texas wouldn't have minded a guy like Olsen. Still can't believe we traded Olsen AND Willingham...for a utility player, and a guy that hopefully becomes solid, in Smolinski (we'll have to wait awhile for him). I couldn't agreed more! This would make a bad trade just that much worse Ryan Tucker is currently a one-pitch wonder, high-upside bullpen guy... why is that more valuable than a player that projects to be an everyday starter and passable at one of the most demanding positions in the game... I realize there's a love-affair with high velocity guys, but at the same time, those that point out Tucker's AA season need to realize that a great fastball can dominate lower levels - couple that with some share of luck and you get Tucker... who, like I said, is a one-pitch, high upside bullpen guy... He'd be great as a max-effort guy and his value lowers as a starter. Ultimately, the Rangers, needing SP, will probably put him at SP and I foresee him turning into an Edwin Jackson there... (God help the person who quotes this post with "OMG 14 WINS IS VALUABLE") In the long run... like Nny said, not only does Ramirez help us with the Baker situation, but since Max projects to be a competent corner infielder, we can pair him with McDallas/Helms/Gaby till our crop of corner infielders come up. This is very much a no-brainer...
December 11, 200817 yr Ryan Tucker can be found. As stated earlier he has so far shown himself to be a one pitch guy, and can be found most places in the league. A closer is relatively easy to find, hell the marlins have gotten people from the grave to become good closers (Borowski, Jones). We haven't had a good catcher on the team since Pudge left. Max Ramirez may be that guy (Although I prefer Salty), I'd do Tucker for Ramirez in a second
December 11, 200817 yr and his extremely low BABIP in AA helped his numbers. which evened out would have had him giving up 13 more hits, a 1.25 WHIP.
December 11, 200817 yr and his extremely low BABIP in AA helped his numbers. which evened out would have had him giving up 13 more hits, a 1.25 WHIP. I like Tucker, but I ultimately agree that he's very tradeable if the return is MaxRam. Don't forget that we figure to have the ammo to pick up several young arms just like Tucker when we trade Ross, Uggla, Cantu, and maybe even Hermida over the next 1-3 years.
December 11, 200817 yr and his extremely low BABIP in AA helped his numbers. which evened out would have had him giving up 13 more hits, a 1.25 WHIP. I like Tucker, but I ultimately agree that he's very tradeable if the return is MaxRam. Don't forget that we figure to have the ammo to pick up several young arms just like Tucker when we trade Ross, Uggla, Cantu, and maybe even Hermida over the next 1-3 years. Exactly
December 11, 200817 yr Mystikol87 made a great point. We can afford to give up Thompson or Tucker now because we can pick other pitchers when we trade Ross, Uggla, Cantu etc.
December 12, 200817 yr It does not say that they're interested in Aaron Thompson, it says that he is a "possibility." And there's quite a difference between Scott Olsen, who is what he is, and Aaron Thompson, a prospect with a high ceiling coming off of a down year. More like Aaron Thompson...the guy who has allowed more hits than innings pitched at every minor league level he's pitched in, and the guy who, all of the sudden, walked 40 in 81.2 innings, last year, with just 53 K's, in those 81.2 innings.
December 12, 200817 yr Mystikol87 made a great point. We can afford to give up Thompson or Tucker now because we can pick other pitchers when we trade Ross, Uggla, Cantu etc. Fair enough.
December 12, 200817 yr He can handle catching in a platoon role for a few years, and his bat projects positively to a corner. He's perfect if it costs Tucker. Backup on 3rd Base some while he learns behind the plate with Baker platoon. I love it, specially his bat off of the bench too. He is an athletic kid that was a 3rd baseman at one point. :thumbup
December 12, 200817 yr He can handle catching in a platoon role for a few years, and his bat projects positively to a corner. He's perfect if it costs Tucker. Backup on 3rd Base some while he learns behind the plate with Baker platoon. I love it, specially his bat off of the bench too. He is an athletic kid that was a 3rd baseman at one point. :thumbup It also opens the door a little further to trade Cantu (without sustaining as much loss of production), or to let Cantu start every day at 1st, while having Max/Dallas split time at 3rd, and Gaby Sanchez can come off the bench or start the year in AAA. To be fair, though, the flaw in the logic of him as the backup at 3rd (against LHP, presumably), is that he'd be starting at catcher those games as Baker's back-up/platoon partner. So we kinda ought to drop that idea - Helms still figures to be Dallas's platoon partner if Cantu starts at first every day.
December 12, 200817 yr Frisaro says McPherson's chances of making the team are "slim", which makes enormous sense for a team trying to recast itself around speed and defense while keeping a base of power hitters. If you want to "blame" someone for McPherson's situation look across the diamond at Gaby Sanchez who has played himself into a position as heir apparent at first. Were he not in picture Cantu to first, McPherson to third would have been the plan but things didn't work out that way. I've said that I think the Marlins do their best to find McPherson a home but at this late hour it may not be possible.
December 12, 200817 yr Frisaro says McPherson's chances of making the team are "slim", which makes enormous sense for a team trying to recast itself around speed and defense while keeping a base of power hitters. If you want to "blame" someone for McPherson's situation look across the diamond at Gaby Sanchez who has played himself into a position as heir apparent at first. Were he not in picture Cantu to first, McPherson to third would have been the plan but things didn't work out that way. I've said that I think the Marlins do their best to find McPherson a home but at this late hour it may not be possible. Frisaro is not the best source for stuff... he's very hit-or-miss to put it lightly
December 12, 200817 yr Frisaro says McPherson's chances of making the team are "slim", which makes enormous sense for a team trying to recast itself around speed and defense while keeping a base of power hitters. If you want to "blame" someone for McPherson's situation look across the diamond at Gaby Sanchez who has played himself into a position as heir apparent at first. Were he not in picture Cantu to first, McPherson to third would have been the plan but things didn't work out that way. I've said that I think the Marlins do their best to find McPherson a home but at this late hour it may not be possible. Frisaro is not the best source for stuff... he's very hit-or-miss to put it lightly He's a hack, to put it heavily.
December 12, 200817 yr It does not say that they're interested in Aaron Thompson, it says that he is a "possibility." And there's quite a difference between Scott Olsen, who is what he is, and Aaron Thompson, a prospect with a high ceiling coming off of a down year. More like Aaron Thompson...the guy who has allowed more hits than innings pitched at every minor league level he's pitched in, and the guy who, all of the sudden, walked 40 in 81.2 innings, last year, with just 53 K's, in those 81.2 innings. I can't believe you're actually bringing up H/9 to if a pitcher is good or not...seriously? And yeah, I believe I said he had a down year. And? He also showed outstanding ability prior to last season. He does an amazing job of limiting XBH with a very good GB%, and had an outstanding BB/K I'm guessing you were also one of the ones hating on Volstad during/after the '07 season. There is no doubt that his star took a hit but let's not go overboard here.
December 12, 200817 yr Author Frisaro says McPherson's chances of making the team are "slim", which makes enormous sense for a team trying to recast itself around speed and defense while keeping a base of power hitters. If you want to "blame" someone for McPherson's situation look across the diamond at Gaby Sanchez who has played himself into a position as heir apparent at first. Were he not in picture Cantu to first, McPherson to third would have been the plan but things didn't work out that way. I've said that I think the Marlins do their best to find McPherson a home but at this late hour it may not be possible. Billy Beane would take him in a second to fix his corner depth. I think they could easily move him if they wanted to.
December 12, 200817 yr Frisaro says McPherson's chances of making the team are "slim", which makes enormous sense for a team trying to recast itself around speed and defense while keeping a base of power hitters. If you want to "blame" someone for McPherson's situation look across the diamond at Gaby Sanchez who has played himself into a position as heir apparent at first. Were he not in picture Cantu to first, McPherson to third would have been the plan but things didn't work out that way. I've said that I think the Marlins do their best to find McPherson a home but at this late hour it may not be possible. Billy Beane would take him in a second to fix his corner depth. I think they could easily move him if they wanted to. I thought there was a good chance they would during the Winter Meeting. Obviously that didn't happen. Unfortunately for him, unless they decide to not go to arb (he is an arb guy right?) and let him go, he's in the unenviable position of going to spring training without a job and hoping either Gaby flops or Cantu or someone else is hurt and/or unable to play that opens up a spot. by his own admission his best production doesn't come in the spring but hopefully he's smart enough to get an early start and comes to camp ready to impress.
December 12, 200817 yr According to Cots, he's super 2 eligible. He shouldn't get that much in arbitration. 750k? and that might be being pessimistic on our side, might be close to 600k.
December 12, 200817 yr I like Tucker, but I ultimately agree that he's very tradeable if the return is MaxRam. Don't forget that we figure to have the ammo to pick up several young arms just like Tucker when we trade Ross, Uggla, Cantu, Hermida, and Hanley over the next 1-3 years. fixed
December 12, 200817 yr Author According to Cots, he's super 2 eligible. He shouldn't get that much in arbitration. 750k? and that might be being pessimistic on our side, might be close to 600k. I would say just over the minimum, a $500-550k. Either way, nothing that effects the big picture.
December 12, 200817 yr I like Tucker, but I ultimately agree that he's very tradeable if the return is MaxRam. Don't forget that we figure to have the ammo to pick up several young arms just like Tucker when we trade Ross, Uggla, Cantu, Hermida, and Hanley over the next 1-3 years. fixed You think we're going to trade Hanley? Because if you do, that's the stupidest idea ever.
December 12, 200817 yr I like Tucker, but I ultimately agree that he's very tradeable if the return is MaxRam. Don't forget that we figure to have the ammo to pick up several young arms just like Tucker when we trade Ross, Uggla, Cantu, Hermida, and Hanley over the next 1-3 years. fixed You think we're going to trade Hanley? Because if you do, that's the stupidest idea ever. I wouldn't hold my breath. We could get as least six or seven relief prospects for him, and maybe even a guy who is just good enough to go between a fifth starter and a long reliever in the bullpen. Also, we could get a backup second basemen in the deal. The money that we free up can be used to sign all of the mermaids to contract extensions.
December 12, 200817 yr I wouldn't hold my breath. We could get as least six or seven relief prospects for him, and maybe even a guy who is just good enough to go between a fifth starter and a long reliever in the bullpen. Also, we could get a backup second basemen in the deal. The money that we free up can be used to sign all of the mermaids to contract extensions. Like we did when we traded Beckett?
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.