December 11, 200817 yr The Marlins are still reportedly looking at trading for Max Ramirez, with Ryan Tucker and Aaron Thompson coming up as possibilities to go to Texas. The Rangers would only get one of the two, but either would be a decent haul for Ramirez, a player who probably isn't in their long-term plans. The Marlins might be the only team out there that sees Ramirez as a catcher. MLB Blog. ----- Do it.
December 11, 200817 yr You have to wonder if the Marlins are really interested in Ramirez (as opposed to the earlier rumored pairings today) or whether the pitching-starved are stepping down their demands and offering less in return. I don't know that this is a good deal for either team but perhaps that's what this ends up, two lower-ceiling players being exchanged.
December 11, 200817 yr The Marlins are still reportedly looking at trading for Max Ramirez, with Ryan Tucker and Aaron Thompson coming up as possibilities to go to Texas. The Rangers would only get one of the two, but either would be a decent haul for Ramirez, a player who probably isn't in their long-term plans. The Marlins might be the only team out there that sees Ramirez as a catcher. MLB Blog. ----- Do it. What do they mean by "the marlins are the only team out there that sees Ramirez as a catcher"?
December 11, 200817 yr The Marlins are still reportedly looking at trading for Max Ramirez, with Ryan Tucker and Aaron Thompson coming up as possibilities to go to Texas. The Rangers would only get one of the two, but either would be a decent haul for Ramirez, a player who probably isn't in their long-term plans. The Marlins might be the only team out there that sees Ramirez as a catcher. MLB Blog. ----- Do it. What do they mean by "the marlins are the only team out there that sees Ramirez as a catcher"? Because crouching behind the plate and actually being able to field the position are two entirely different things.
December 11, 200817 yr I wouldn't trade Ryan Tucker. And this is just further proof that the Olsen deal was/is a piece of crap. Pretty sure Texas wouldn't have minded a guy like Olsen. Still can't believe we traded Olsen AND Willingham...for a utility player, and a guy that hopefully becomes solid, in Smolinski (we'll have to wait awhile for him).
December 11, 200817 yr Author He can handle catching in a platoon role for a few years, and his bat projects positively to a corner. He's perfect if it costs Tucker.
December 11, 200817 yr He can handle catching in a platoon role for a few years, and his bat projects positively to a corner. He's perfect if it costs Tucker. I'd do it in a heartbeat if Texas wants Thompson. Thompson for Ramirez would make me forget about the Scott Olsen trade.
December 11, 200817 yr Thompson for Ramirez would make me forget about the Scott Olsen trade. Same here, I still hate that deal. However, getting Ramirez without giving up one of our best prospects would be a win.
December 11, 200817 yr He can handle catching in a platoon role for a few years, and his bat projects positively to a corner. He's perfect if it costs Tucker. I'd do it in a heartbeat if Texas wants Thompson. Thompson for Ramirez would make me forget about the Scott Olsen trade. I'd do it in a second for Tucker and I'm a big Tucker fan....
December 11, 200817 yr Well I suppose we need to start populating the Zephyrs' roster. Lateral move, one good minor leaguer for another. I don't think it's ridiculous to think we can't let one pitching prospect go in the hopes that Ramirez can learn his craft and mature into something worthwhile.
December 11, 200817 yr Why would the Rangers be interested in a FB pitcher who was extremely lucky? Reports say we offered Olsen for Ramirez. I'm sure we would have gone down that path, that was likely one of the first paths we went down. How can you fault the Marlins for not making a trade that the Rangers would have to be dumb-f*** stupid to make? I'm tired of people looking at current moves we're supposedly looking at and always bringing up the Olsen trade. Ok, it sucked. Oh well. Cry a river, build a bridge, and walk over it. We have to move forward. Looking and crying about the past gets you nowhere. Given up a BP arm for something like Max's bat would be big. He also helps us out when it comes to our 3B problem until Do-Ming is ready. If Bake works out we could be in an awesome position of having our back up catcher being an every day player. Our bench potential would be enormous. Obviously just going strait into next year 3B will be figured out with one of Cantu and Dallas but their prices go up quick.
December 11, 200817 yr Thompson for Ramirez would make me forget about the Scott Olsen trade. Same here, I still hate that deal. However, getting Ramirez without giving up one of our best prospects would be a win. He has been Top 10 the past couple years. Top 5 by BA last season. Coming off a stellar year at AA. I would not do this. Not for someone who won't be a complete catcher. To give up that kind of value, I want a catcher that can play (at least) solid d.
December 11, 200817 yr Thompson for Ramirez would make me forget about the Scott Olsen trade. Same here, I still hate that deal. However, getting Ramirez without giving up one of our best prospects would be a win. He has been Top 10 the past couple years. Top 5 by BA last season. Coming off a stellar year at AA. I would not do this. Not for someone who won't be a complete catcher. To give up that kind of value, I want a catcher that can play (at least) solid d. Ramirez for Thompson would be a win for us. You can even say the same for Ramirez for Tucker...I just really like Tucker's stuff, out of the pen. You can always move Max Ramirez to a corner if he doesn't pan out, as a catcher. He can hit.
December 11, 200817 yr I'm tired of people looking at current moves we're supposedly looking at and always bringing up the Olsen trade. Ok, it sucked. Oh well. Cry a river, build a bridge, and walk over it. We have to move forward. Looking and crying about the past gets you nowhere. We're fans; it's what we (I) do. I call it what it is. For how bad the Olsen trade was...I can also say I love the Gregg trade...and I liked the Jacobs trade. It's just tough to see a 24 year old left-handed innings eater + a guy who still draws solid AB's / OBP traded for a guy who projects to be a utility player. I still have trouble letting that one go.
December 11, 200817 yr Ramirez for Thompson would be a win for us. You can even say the same for Ramirez for Tucker...I just really like Tucker's stuff, out of the pen. You can always move Max Ramirez to a corner if he doesn't pan out, as a catcher. He can hit. I meant for Tucker I wouldn't do it, my bad. For Thompson, yeah, that's a win- plus we just got Kroenke who can be thought of as somewhat of a replacement if he pans out.
December 11, 200817 yr Or scott olsen just isn't good. the guy had an extremely low BABIP last year. Evened out to .300, that tacks on twenty-five more hits. That boosts his WHIP up to 1.44. For a guy who has a high HR/FLY, and gives up a ton of fly balls...a.k.a. will continue to give up a ton of HRs, that high of a WHIP is disastrous. The guy is very likely going to have an ERA in the upper 4's next year, think 4.80. That's not good. Durable left handed #5's don't go for much on the trade market. And then you look at Hammer, who's essentially damaged goods because of his back. You can hate the trade all you want, but this isn't the place for it. How does us offering Thompson or Tucker for Maximillio have ANYTHING to do with the Olsen trade outside of them having turned down Olsen before?
December 11, 200817 yr Or scott olsen just isn't good. the guy had an extremely low BABIP last year. Evened out to .300, that tacks on twenty-five more hits. That boosts his WHIP up to 1.44. For a guy who has a high HR/FLY, and gives up a ton of fly balls...a.k.a. will continue to give up a ton of HRs, that high of a WHIP is disastrous. The guy is very likely going to have an ERA in the upper 4's next year, think 4.80. That's not good. Durable left handed #5's don't go for much on the trade market. And then you look at Hammer, who's essentially damaged goods because of his back. You can hate the trade all you want, but this isn't the place for it. How does us offering Thompson or Tucker for Maximillio have ANYTHING to do with the Olsen trade outside of them having turned down Olsen before? Easy. If they're interested in Aaron Thompson (as this source says), why wouldn't they be interested in Scott Olsen? (Must be the money)
December 11, 200817 yr I wouldn't trade Ryan Tucker. And this is just further proof that the Olsen deal was/is a piece of crap. Pretty sure Texas wouldn't have minded a guy like Olsen. Still can't believe we traded Olsen AND Willingham...for a utility player, and a guy that hopefully becomes solid, in Smolinski (we'll have to wait awhile for him). I couldn't agreed more! This would make a bad trade just that much worse
December 11, 200817 yr It does not say that they're interested in Aaron Thompson, it says that he is a "possibility." And there's quite a difference between Scott Olsen, who is what he is, and Aaron Thompson, a prospect with a high ceiling coming off of a down year.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.