February 7, 200917 yr Tested positive in 2003 for anabolic steroids. It was a lead on ESPN, no other story yet.
February 7, 200917 yr Per ESPN... Back in 2003 Alex Rodriguez test came back positive. WoW Canseco's 2nd book was right.
February 7, 200917 yr Crap NY is gonna be all over him. For his sake he better say sorry now and hope they forgive him like they did giambi.
February 7, 200917 yr People seem to not want to believe Canseco because of the person he is, but ya gotta admit, he tells nothing but the truth. He was around it, and its been the main reason i've read both of his books, and the same reason i want to read Torre's book. Not surprised A-Rod took steroids, just seems like everybody did. I'm at a point where it just seems like every baseball record should be wiped out from the 90s up to mid 2000s. It may be unfair for the players that didn't take it, but i think its best for baseball reputation to just wipe out all the steroid plagued records and just act like it never happened.
February 7, 200917 yr Man NY is going to be alll over him. Better say your sorry now Arod and hope they accept it. I cant really blame alot of guys for doing roids. So many guys were doing them you probably had to take them to keep up and keep your job. Also I still think Manny did them at one point but he was smart and wore a huge uni to hide his musceles.
February 7, 200917 yr Author In 2003, when he won the American League home run title and the AL Most Valuable Player award as a shortstop for the Texas Rangers, Alex Rodriguez tested positive for two anabolic steroids, four sources have independently told Sports Illustrated. Rodriguez's name appears on a list of 104 players who tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs in Major League Baseball's '03 survey testing, SI's sources say. As part of a joint agreement with the MLB Players Association, the testing was conducted to determine if it was necessary to impose mandatory random drug testing across the major leagues in 2004. When approached by an SI reporter on Thursday at a gym in Miami, Rodriguez declined to discuss his 2003 test results. "You'll have to talk to the union," said Rodriguez, the Yankees' third baseman since his trade to New York in February 2004. When asked if there was an explanation for his positive test, he said, "I'm not saying anything." Phone messages left by SI for players' union executive director Donald Fehr were not returned. Though MLB's drug policy has expressly prohibited the use of steroids without a valid prescription since 1991, there were no penalties for a positive test in 2003. The results of that year's survey testing of 1,198 players were meant to be anonymous under the agreement between the commissioner's office and the players association. Rodriguez's testing information was found, however, after federal agents, armed with search warrants, seized the '03 test results from Comprehensive Drug Testing, Inc., of Long Beach, Calif., one of two labs used by MLB in connection with that year's survey testing. The seizure took place in April 2004 as part of the government's investigation into 10 major league players linked to the BALCO scandal -- though Rodriguez himself has never been connected to BALCO. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/base...ex.html?eref=T1 Here ya go.
February 7, 200917 yr I'm holding judgement or two reasons. 1) So far there is no proof but anonymous sources. 2) I don't particularly want this to be true.
February 7, 200917 yr Author I'm holding judgement or two reasons. 1) So far there is no proof but anonymous sources. 2) I don't particularly want this to be true. As much as I hate A-Rod and the Yankees I feel the same way. I was sort of looking at A-Rod to be the saving face of the steroids ever. Surpass Bonds and keep the most sacred or one of the most sacred records clean and not tainted.
February 7, 200917 yr That's crazy. Next we are gonna hear that Jr. took steroids, too. I hope it really isn't true.
February 7, 200917 yr I'm holding judgement or two reasons. 1) So far there is no proof but anonymous sources. 2) I don't particularly want this to be true. I really don't want this to be true. He's beeen my favorite player since he came into the league.
February 7, 200917 yr Check out A-Roid lying through his teeth in this 60 minutes interview with Katie Couric...
February 7, 200917 yr Correct me if I'm wrong, but did MLB even test for steroids in 2003? Seriously...what's the big deal? This whole steroids crap makes me hate the media more everyday. The double-standard between the greats and the nobody's is incredible. Jay Gibbons took roids too...heck, he even wrote an apology to all 30 big league teams this offseason, before the Marlins signed him. For some reason, that didn't make the cover page of the sports world. What a joke...the fact that nowadays no one is trusted & perhaps all these great records will be erased is a joke. Call him a cheater all you want, but it takes a whole lot more than roids to hit a baseball as well as Barry Bonds and Alex Rodriguez do. Their numbers might be inflated, but they're hall of famers with or without steroids...the fact that, in itself, will be questioned now is an absolute joke. I now feel bad for A-Rod. For all the money he has, it's not even worth it anymore. After this, combined with the fact he plays in NY where 1 fail with .RISP = choker (since he hasn't won a championship like the "loved one" Jeter )...I wouldn't even play baseball anymore if I were him.
February 7, 200917 yr Everyone talking about A-Rod but no talking about the broken agreement with the union? A-Rod took the test because he was guarenteed anonymity. It doesn't matter if he took it or not, it's bulls*** that it's out in the public.
February 7, 200917 yr The reason A-Rod gets more media coverage than Jay Gibbons for having done steroids? Gee, I dunno, it might have something to do with him being the best player in the game and the supposed poster child for the post-steroid era.
February 7, 200917 yr Everyone talking about A-Rod but no talking about the broken agreement with the union? A-Rod took the test because he was guarenteed anonymity. It doesn't matter if he took it or not, it's bulls*** that it's out in the public. Someone lied to him about keeping it anonymous, he lies to everyone about not taking steroids. What's the difference? He's just getting a taste of his own medicine. Lies always come back to haunt you. That's life.
February 7, 200917 yr The reason A-Rod gets more media coverage than Jay Gibbons for having done steroids? Gee, I dunno, it might have something to do with him being the best player in the game and the supposed poster child for the post-steroid era. So the great one who would still be a very good player without steroids gets constantly bashed, while the guy who needed steroids to be relevant in the big leagues gets a pass? Yeah...makes a lot of sense. Terrific American media double-standard. I guess it's true what they say. Being loved is good, but being hated is good, as well. It's a sign you've actually done something special, in your career.
February 7, 200917 yr The reason A-Rod gets more media coverage than Jay Gibbons for having done steroids? Gee, I dunno, it might have something to do with him being the best player in the game and the supposed poster child for the post-steroid era. So the great one who would still be a very good player without steroids gets constantly bashed, while the guy who needed steroids to be relevant in the big leagues gets a pass? Yeah...makes a lot of sense. Terrific American media double-standard. I guess it's true what they say. Being loved is good, but being hated is good, as well. It's a sign you've actually done something special, in your career. Nobody is saying that A-Rod isn't a very talented player. What do you want the media to do, sweep it under the rug and pretend like it never happened? This is a very very big story, and obviously a sad day for the game of baseball.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.