Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Baker's defense.

Featured Replies

Is it just me or have alot of balls been getting by him. I know he's no Charles Johnson behind the plate but he seems a little shaky lately. Is it the pitchers being wild, crossed up signals or just bad technique. I suspect its a combination of all.

I will take a couple of passed balls per game if it means we never again see Trenor/Rabelo types trying to hit MLB pitching.

I commented a couple times I thought his defense was improving. But he still needs alot of work blocking balls in the dirt. Especially those right in front of him.

I will take a couple of passed balls per game if it means we never again see Trenor/Rabelo types trying to hit MLB pitching.

 

Then you better hope one of the speedsters is on base in front of him alot. Without actually looking it up, I would bet that when the bases are empty his offensive numbers take a nose dive.

It was Baker's defense in the minors that forced us to see Olivo, Treanor and Rabelo for a couple of years. He refined it just enough to get up here, but don't expect him to be above average from behind the plate.

This seems a bit of an overreach. Pitchers have been wild and its too way early to pass judgement on anything.

Dont let your perceptions cloud reality. Baker will be just fine behind the plate.

I can't say there's been a game he's cost the Marlins because of his defense, he can still improve and I'd still rather have him than the guy who caught for the Mets today.

  • Author

I don't know what the reality is. I'm not passing judgement. It just seems to me that in the last couple of series more balls than average were getting by. On a few occasions runners advanced, taking off the double play option. I'm not saying I don't like what Baker does for this team offensively. His defense just seems a little shakier lately.

I have nothing at all to complain about Baker, he is just a quiet hitter who gets the job done, his defense will come, he's shut me up with my predictions on him, afterall I admit I wanted PUDGE, but this guy has been great, so little he gets paid, look at his production, what more can you ask for? this guy is doing good.

Didn't bake come to us after olivo left and last season started?

The Marlins acquired Baker in March 07'... 2007 was Olivo's last season here. We stuck through Olivo's abysmal offensive/defensive year because Baker needed to refine his defense.

I don't know what the reality is. I'm not passing judgement. It just seems to me that in the last couple of series more balls than average were getting by. On a few occasions runners advanced, taking off the double play option. I'm not saying I don't like what Baker does for this team offensively. His defense just seems a little shakier lately.

 

Maybe so, still really has not cost us, and if anything, would blame the lack of command on our pitching. I just sense a bias towards his defense since its always been his rep (hard to overcome) , which to me is undeserved judging by what I've seen of him, he's average or better defensively at the very least. And a huge improvement overall to what we've had last couple years. Think about this, we actually have a catcher that can bat 2nd or 3rd!

This seems a bit of an overreach. Pitchers have been wild and its too way early to pass judgement on anything.

Dont let your perceptions cloud reality. Baker will be just fine behind the plate.

 

He never has been fine behind the plate. That's always been my rap on him. He got the call up last year because of all the injuries and because the pickings were worse than slim in the minors, not because of his defensive improvements. He has shown some improvement this year, but for anyone to say he is average or better is really a stretch of the imagination.

.392 OBP

 

Any defense is a bonus.

 

Really? What is it without a speedster on base for him? When pitchers are actually able to pitch to him and he is seeing more than just fastballs. To me, it's the guys in front of him that make him decent at the plate. At least so far this year.

 

For a catcher, defense shouldn't be a bonus. It's his job. Any offense should be a bonus. Speed, defense, pitching. The FO and coaches haven't changed their game plan have they?

.392 OBP

 

Any defense is a bonus.

 

Really? What is it without a speedster on base for him? When pitchers are actually able to pitch to him and he is seeing more than just fastballs. To me, it's the guys in front of him that make him decent at the plate. At least so far this year.

 

For a catcher, defense shouldn't be a bonus. It's his job. Any offense should be a bonus. Speed, defense, pitching. The FO and coaches haven't changed their game plan have they?

 

Hes gonna see fastballs even when boni or maybin arent on base because hanley's behind him.

 

I do agree with you though. Most cathchers are supposed to hanlde the pitchers and play d, offense is just a bonus.

I think hes fine behind the plate though.

  • Author

I don't know what the reality is. I'm not passing judgement. It just seems to me that in the last couple of series more balls than average were getting by. On a few occasions runners advanced, taking off the double play option. I'm not saying I don't like what Baker does for this team offensively. His defense just seems a little shakier lately.

 

Maybe so, still really has not cost us, and if anything, would blame the lack of command on our pitching. I just sense a bias towards his defense since its always been his rep (hard to overcome) , which to me is undeserved judging by what I've seen of him, he's average or better defensively at the very least. And a huge improvement overall to what we've had last couple years. Think about this, we actually have a catcher that can bat 2nd or 3rd!

 

But it has cost us. In the Philly series a couple of balls got by him and runners moved up. No double play possible. Runners in scoring position were brought in. Maybe it was Baker's fault. Maybe not. But when runners advance it costs you.

 

Is he a passable catcher? Sure. Especially because he can hit. Is he better or even average defensively. I wouldn't say better from what I'm seeing. Average? Time will tell.

Kensing didn't exactly have good words for Baker on his way out. Didn't directly attack him but it's rather obvious what he was talking about:

 

Kensing has struggled this season with a 9.82 ERA in 7.1 innings. He said he has not yet felt comfortable and was hindered by "a couple passed balls."

 

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/nationals...ationalsjournal

 

Have to wonder how our other pitchers really feel about pitching to baker and not the political correct statements they tell the media.

 

However that's mostly Kensing just placing blame on someone else, as there was only one "passed ball" (it was a wild pitch) which moved a runner from 2nd to third (And that was after Kensing balked that moved that runner to second and scored a run, which is probably somehow Baker's fault too). Kensing then proceeded to walk the next guy, then give up a 3 run jack to McLouth.

He's not good at blocking balls but has dramatically reduced his number of stolen bases allowed. If his OPS drifts downwards a bit and the stolen bases allowed skyrocket then he would become a problem. Right now he's fine.

Kensing didn't exactly have good words for Baker on his way out. Didn't directly attack him but it's rather obvious what he was talking about:

 

Kensing has struggled this season with a 9.82 ERA in 7.1 innings. He said he has not yet felt comfortable and was hindered by "a couple passed balls."

 

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/nationals...ationalsjournal

 

Have to wonder how our other pitchers really feel about pitching to baker and not the political correct statements they tell the media.

 

However that's mostly Kensing just placing blame on someone else, as there was only one "passed ball" (it was a wild pitch) which moved a runner from 2nd to third (And that was after Kensing balked that moved that runner to second and scored a run, which is probably somehow Baker's fault too). Kensing then proceeded to walk the next guy, then give up a 3 run jack to McLouth.

 

Passed ball, wild pitch. Couple more stats that are more clouded with the official scorers take on things than it is in reality. But it might be interesting to see how real defensive catchers compare with Baker on this. See how many of their pitchers have wild pitches and pased balls. Even that wouldn't be a fair comparison. Different pitchers means different styles.

 

Kensing may have a point, to some degree at least. But... Watch the pitchers and Baker work together. Including Lindy. Notice not many signals are shaken off. They are almost always throwing what he is calling for. So when some complain pitchers like Lindy are throwing too many fastballs and not enough of their other pitches, who is to blame for that?

 

More on that...

 

Last year I said I had noticed Baker looking to the dugout before he signals. Meaning the coaches were actually calling the pitches more than he was. Very common. Baker had just got the call up and didn't really know the pitchers or hitters that well. He was being helped, and that is not a bad thing. This year everyone is saying he is doing the bulk of the calling. And I've also commented I thought he was doing most of it. I expect to see much more passed balls/wild pitches this year with certain pitchers. Maybe not Lindy because it seems Baker is almost afraid of calling for anything BUT that fastball. Lindy may throw his other stuff too hard for Baker to handle if it goes in the dirt and Baker realizes it.

 

I also think Baker has a tendancy to let things snowball on him. The Quicksand Effect (watch The Replacements). But that's a whole different aspect of his game.

 

But I put alot of pressure on the defensive abilities of a catcher. Really good teams have really good defensive catchers. Baker has some work to do. But IMO he's nearing the average mark.

.392 OBP

 

Any defense is a bonus.

 

Really? What is it without a speedster on base for him? When pitchers are actually able to pitch to him and he is seeing more than just fastballs. To me, it's the guys in front of him that make him decent at the plate. At least so far this year.

 

For a catcher, defense shouldn't be a bonus. It's his job. Any offense should be a bonus. Speed, defense, pitching. The FO and coaches haven't changed their game plan have they?

 

Hes gonna see fastballs even when boni or maybin arent on base because hanley's behind him.

 

I do agree with you though. Most cathchers are supposed to hanlde the pitchers and play d, offense is just a bonus.

I think hes fine behind the plate though.

 

True to some extent. He'll see more fastballs with Hanley behind him than he would someplace else in the line up. But when the defense and the pitcher are worried about giving away bases he's going to see a ton of them. However, when pitchers are more able to pitch to him, he dosen't do nearly as well. Check the splits and see if I'm right.

 

But "fine behind the plate"?? Not agreeing. But he is better than we have in the wings. I kinda liked Hayes defensively when I watched him in ST. He just can't hit at all at this level. Or evidently at any level.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.