May 7, 200917 yr Last 17: 3.35 runs/game Record: 4-13 First 12: 6.42 runs/game Record: 11-1 I'm sorry, but 3 runs a game is just not going to get it done.
May 7, 200917 yr Neither is 60% of the rotation pitching like crap. This, this, a thousand times this.
May 7, 200917 yr Author Neither is 60% of the rotation pitching like crap. This, this, a thousand times this. Well when you give your starting pitchers 3 runs of support a game, you're not going to win many games.
May 7, 200917 yr Nor will you win many games when your batters have to dig themselves out of a first inning hole.
May 7, 200917 yr Neither is 60% of the rotation pitching like crap. This, this, a thousand times this. Well when you give your starting pitchers 3 runs of support a game, you're not going to win many games. And when 60% of your staff isn't giving the offense a chance to win, you're not going to win many games, either. I agree with you, but coming into the season...our starting pitching was supposed to be our strength. We were building a team on pitching & defense...& speed (sadly the front office has overrated speed to the extreme...specifically with Bonifacio(ut) ). Tomorrow's game is important. Nolasco needs to show progress. He showed some last game, but sooner or later...he's going to have to start pitching like the Ricky Nolasco of last year.
May 7, 200917 yr Author Nor will you win many games when your batters have to dig themselves out of a first inning hole. Well it really doesn't matter because I don't see the fire in our hitters that we saw the first 12 games. The Marlins had a lot of comebacks b/c they expected to win every game. Now it seems like they expect to lose. A first inning hole is what it is. You still have 8 innings to comeback. If you can't handle a first inning hole, then you don't deserve to be in the majors. Yesterdays game was an exception b/c I believe the braves got 8 runs in the first 3 innings. That's a tough hole to dig out of ... but a 1-2 run hole, you should expect to comeback.
May 7, 200917 yr Neither is 60% of the rotation pitching like crap. This, this, a thousand times this. Well when you give your starting pitchers 3 runs of support a game, you're not going to win many games. I think it is a little bit of both (copout answer!). It seems lately that when we have a lead, we don't add onto it. On the other hand, our pitching has given up leads or allowed the other team to extend their leads to such a point where the game is on that border between comebackable (it's a word) and just out of reach. And I think having 3 to 4 runs of support is a good number to win many games. Of course, you will lose more than if you have 7 or 8 runs for support, but I doubt most winning teams give their starting pitchers more than 4 to 5 runs.
May 7, 200917 yr Last 17: 3.35 runs/game Record: 4-13 First 12: 6.42 runs/game Record: 11-1 I'm sorry, but 3 runs a game is just not going to get it done. I'm with you on this... forget the pitching mates... even if you have an all star rotation, you're not going to win many games scoring 3 to 4 runs per game
May 7, 200917 yr Last 17: 3.35 runs/game Record: 4-13 First 12: 6.42 runs/game Record: 11-1 I'm sorry, but 3 runs a game is just not going to get it done. I'm with you on this... forget the pitching mates... even if you have an all star rotation, you're not going to win many games scoring 3 to 4 runs per game How can we? 60% of it has been beyond bad.
May 7, 200917 yr Starting pitching and hitting are the problems. Yes, 60% of the rotation has stunk but 50% of the lineup has stunk. I hope Maybin and Boni are not in the lineup tomorrow with Maybin in AA.
May 7, 200917 yr Last 17: 3.35 runs/game Record: 4-13 First 12: 6.42 runs/game Record: 11-1 I'm sorry, but 3 runs a game is just not going to get it done. I'm with you on this... forget the pitching mates... even if you have an all star rotation, you're not going to win many games scoring 3 to 4 runs per game How can we? 60% of it has been beyond bad. read the rest of the post... you can have the best pitching staff in the world but if you can score runs you're not going to win you cant win games -1 to 0
May 7, 200917 yr Last 17: 3.35 runs/game Record: 4-13 First 12: 6.42 runs/game Record: 11-1 I'm sorry, but 3 runs a game is just not going to get it done. I'm with you on this... forget the pitching mates... even if you have an all star rotation, you're not going to win many games scoring 3 to 4 runs per game How can we? 60% of it has been beyond bad. read the rest of the post... you can have the best pitching staff in the world but if you can score runs you're not going to win you cant win games -1 to 0 You can have the best lineup in the world but if you can't pitch you're not going to win. You cant win games -10 to 9. Ask the Texas Rangers.
May 7, 200917 yr 3 Runs isn't enough. Let's not put the blame on pitching because let's face it - giving up 3 or 4 runs is pretty normal for an average or even a good pitcher when they are not at their best. MAYBE we can say that we shouldn't be digging ourselves out of 6 or 8 run deficits in the first couple of innings, but if the pitching staff can hold the opposition to 4 or fewer runs then the offense should be able to step it up and give them the support to win. Of course the flipside to that is that you do occasionally have to deal with opposing pitchers who come in and happen to be lights out that night. But there have been enough games that we've had the chance to win and haven't. Nobody has been clutch since we left DC except for Cantu, and even he can't do it every night. But what bothers me the most is it feels like we have double digits left on base almost every game. I can't find any place where that stat is recorded for all MLB teams, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we led all of baseball in LOB with how we blow scoring opportunities.
May 7, 200917 yr Last 17: 3.35 runs/game Record: 4-13 First 12: 6.42 runs/game Record: 11-1 I'm sorry, but 3 runs a game is just not going to get it done. I'm with you on this... forget the pitching mates... even if you have an all star rotation, you're not going to win many games scoring 3 to 4 runs per game How can we? 60% of it has been beyond bad. read the rest of the post... you can have the best pitching staff in the world but if you can score runs you're not going to win you cant win games -1 to 0 You can have the best lineup in the world but if you can't pitch you're not going to win. You cant win games -10 to 9. Ask the Texas Rangers. Texas Rangers? what the f*** are you talking about? The Texas Rangers have the best lineup/offense in baseball? I thought that was the first place Toronto Blue Jays. you have to OUT-SCORE a team to win. that is my point
May 7, 200917 yr 3 Runs isn't enough. Let's not put the blame on pitching because let's face it - giving up 3 or 4 runs is pretty normal for an average or even a good pitcher when they are not at their best. MAYBE we can say that we shouldn't be digging ourselves out of 6 or 8 run deficits in the first couple of innings, but if the pitching staff can hold the opposition to 4 or fewer runs then the offense should be able to step it up and give them the support to win. Of course the flipside to that is that you do occasionally have to deal with opposing pitchers who come in and happen to be lights out that night. But there have been enough games that we've had the chance to win and haven't. Nobody has been clutch since we left DC except for Cantu, and even he can't do it every night. But what bothers me the most is it feels like we have double digits left on base almost every game. I can't find any place where that stat is recorded for all MLB teams, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we led all of baseball in LOB with how we blow scoring opportunities. well said! too bad there will read this and say... "but pitching wins games".... blah blah blah
May 7, 200917 yr Well both have to come otgether pitching and batting but yea i totally agree the offense has to wake up and if boni was playing like in beginning of season it would help.
May 7, 200917 yr I admit I haven't been able to watch many games on tv lately due to work but from what little I've seen, I havn't noticed a lot of base stealing when we have fast guys on, or the hit and run but then I see the other team do those things and a good part of the time are able to get a 1 run inning that way...Also, I don't see runners advancing on fly balls when they should (see Hanley). AS was stated above, the front office tried to build on pitching, defense, and speed and get away from the homer...but I still see guys swinging for the fences when all you need is someone who knows how to situational-hit and just put the ball in play instead of popping up or K'ing..(this is not a we-shoulda-signed-Pudge rant, but in '03, he was great at punching base hits to the right when we needed to get a runner in scoring position)... Sometimes it seems as if these guys were never taught fundamentals / little things that can win ballgames
May 7, 200917 yr Oakland has the second best team ERA in the AL, They have the worst scoring team in the AL (Runs Scored).... hence, they are 10-16 and in last place in their division
May 7, 200917 yr Texas Rangers? what the f*** are you talking about? The Texas Rangers have the best lineup/offense in baseball? I thought that was the first place Toronto Blue Jays. you have to OUT-SCORE a team to win. that is my point Check the Texas Rangers (history). Also I'm not saying that hitting is meaningless. Im just arguing your whole "forget the pitching" comment. The pitching has been bad, and, basically, all good teams have a pitching staff that keeps them in games.
May 7, 200917 yr Oakland has the second best team ERA in the AL, They have the worst scoring team in the AL (Runs Scored).... hence, they are 10-16 and in last place in their division Kansas City ranks 9th in the AL in runs scored. They are 1st in team ERA, .OPS against, and quality starts in the AL. Hence, they are 17-11 and in first place in their division. Works both ways...
May 7, 200917 yr The offense is definitely a bigger problem than pitching. Yesterday was the first time other than the extra inning game in Chicago that the offense has been awake in ages. When this team scores a run its like a soccer team scoring a goal. I was gonna say hockey but I think its worse than that. If only we could clone Cantu an JJ each 10 times. This team would be unbeatable. 10 clones isn't a random number by the way. It happens to work out that way. 7 Cantu's for the field +3 more for the bench and 4 starting JJ's + 6 for the BP. Cloning and sports. Scary isn't it? It could happen one day. I guess we'd have to clone some money too.:sarchasm
May 7, 200917 yr um, it's both. Offense and starting pitching for the most part have both stunk since the 11-1 start. Arguing over which one is worse is silly. We don't have either one on a lot of occasions lately.
May 7, 200917 yr Oakland has the second best team ERA in the AL, They have the worst scoring team in the AL (Runs Scored).... hence, they are 10-16 and in last place in their division Kansas City ranks 9th in the AL in runs scored. They are 1st in team ERA, .OPS against, and quality starts in the AL. Hence, they are 17-11 and in first place in their division. Works both ways... you just made my argument for me... the team ERA for those two teams is tops in the AL (KC is 1st, Oakland 2nd) ... difference of one spot in ranking BUT... KC is 9th in runs score but that is still 5 spots (and 39 runs scored) better than 14th place Oakland. thus, the difference btwn the first place you were trying to make a point with and the last place team I was making my point with is that one has a substantively better offense than the other.
May 8, 200917 yr um, it's both. Offense and starting pitching for the most part have both stunk since the 11-1 start. Arguing over which one is worse is silly. We don't have either one on a lot of occasions lately. the point is that while the pitching staff as a whole has been disappointing (yes, I get that... but they are average (4.52) when compared to the average of entire MLB ERA (4.52))... it hasn't been as much of a let down or a concern as the hitting has been (Marlins BA ranks 27th)
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.