Marlins dumping big names?

TrustN61

Morrison's coming up next year. We're just gonna delay his arbi process because we're freaking cheap so we know that he'll be in LF or 1st. That why I say move CC to 3rd. I really hope that we find someone else to play 2nd because Bonerface is what killed our season giving him all those AB's. And if Sanchez can provide the OBP that Cantu doesn't then I'll forgive low power numbers for now. We have to get better pitching or develop Volstad, West & Miller or we ain't going nowhere and that's why I say go Twins and forget O and go all Defense.

Ummm...you need to score runs in order to win ballgames, as well.

I think the pitching coaches were somewhat responsible but more was on the players. Anibal was hurt (again). Ricky needed to go down to the minors, Volstad, West, Hurk, were all way to inconsistent. Ricky is such a tease. I think it's all mental with Anibal and Ricky. They tend to try and be to "perfect" with their pitches.

I think the pitching coaches were somewhat responsible but more was on the players. Anibal was hurt (again). Ricky needed to go down to the minors, Volstad, West, Hurk, were all way to inconsistent. Ricky is such a tease. I think it's all mental with Anibal and Ricky. They tend to try and be to "perfect" with their pitches.

tell me something that doesnt sound like coaching...

I just wanted to add that i would tend to believe there is a multi-year contract already made out awaiting JJ's signature to be placed on it as soon as the season ends. I am sure all the details have been hammered out already

Before I started reading those crappola quotes from his agent I would have agreed with you in principal. Now I'm not so sure. But I do believe IF his agent is being serious in his statements then the Marlins keep him through his arbitration years and let the panel make the final decision on his pay. Maybe low ball him, let his agent high ball us, and bite the bullet on their decision. A few reasons for that. Main one being keeping that "name" here to help with season ticket sales in 2010 and 2011. Especially 2011 when season ticket prices will come close to doubling for those that haven't been able to, or have refused to, take advantage of the big price break the FO has given current season ticket holders this last month or so.

Uggla and Hermdia are gone, we already knew that. Maybe we might be able to package them together to get a great prospect in return.

You mean like how we packaged Hammer and Olsen to get the all-time shwag package featuring one Emilio Bonerface?

We'd be lucky to get a Leo Nunez for Uggla at this point. Uggla's slugging dipped over fifty points from last year, from 514 to 460. Yes, he'll wind up with about as many HRs as his best season, 2008, but he'll wind up with 10 fewer doubles than last year, and a BA around 240. More and more, Uggla's looking like the poster boy for the old adage that a hitter peaks at 27 years old and then starts declining.

Not saying that I won't miss him. What I'm saying is don't hold your breath for some amazing bounty for Uggla.

Uggla and Hermdia are gone, we already knew that. Maybe we might be able to package them together to get a great prospect in return.

You mean like how we packaged Hammer and Olsen to get the all-time shwag package featuring one Emilio Bonerface?

We'd be lucky to get a Leo Nunez for Uggla at this point. Uggla's slugging dipped over fifty points from last year, from 514 to 460. Yes, he'll wind up with about as many HRs as his best season, 2008, but he'll wind up with 10 fewer doubles than last year, and a BA around 240. More and more, Uggla's looking like the poster boy for the old adage that a hitter peaks at 27 years old and then starts declining.

Not saying that I won't miss him. What I'm saying is don't hold your breath for some amazing bounty for Uggla.

Uggla's walks this season are a career high, his strikeouts are down from the 2007 and 2008 and his OBP is better than 2006 and 2007.Their are two sides to the coin.And he has more trade value than you and some think.

There were several articles last year talking about how a lot of teams wouldn't offer much for Uggla because of how he did after he came back from injury (.225/.344/.389/.733). I think the issue is with Uggla, he's always going to have the perception of "he's not this good" because he wasn't a good prospect, and any time he falters people will point and say "SEE!" and I think that was the case after last season when he finished badly.

While his season line isn't as good, the fact he's had another good season will hopefully change that.

Or those articles were wrong and it was just a ploy by people in other FOs to try and lower Ugglas trade value.

There were several articles last year talking about how a lot of teams wouldn't offer much for Uggla because of how he did after he came back from injury (.225/.344/.389/.733). I think the issue is with Uggla, he's always going to have the perception of "he's not this good" because he wasn't a good prospect, and any time he falters people will point and say "SEE!" and I think that was the case after last season when he finished badly.

While his season line isn't as good, the fact he's had another good season will hopefully change that.

Or those articles were wrong and it was just a ploy by people in other FOs to try and lower Ugglas trade value.

I very much agree with that...Uggla is the kinda player that when it is all said and done people will look at his career numbers to just then realize how amazing he really was. Uggla will always be under the radar

I personally think that the only person on the Arbitration list the Marlins should move is Cantu.

Coghlan 3B (he won't be worse than Cantu)

Baker C

Ramirez SS

Uggla 2B

Morrison 1B

Ross RF

Maybin CF

Hermida LF

The pitching didn't pan out, but Johnson is great, Nolasco should be good, and Volstad was just throwing too hard (he need to have his pitches sink)

I am hopeful about West and want to see if Sanchez can avoid injury

We need a big-time back of the pen guy. I don't know which (if any) of our system pitchers can do that, or we are gonna have to get one. I certainly think that saves are an overrated stat, but a guy you can go to 80 times to get the job done makes the entire pen better.

Frankly, this team improved its record with an offensive handicap atop the order, so without that we should be better.

I personally think that the only person on the Arbitration list the Marlins should move is Cantu.

Baker C

Ramirez SS

Uggla 2B

Morrison 1B

Ross RF

Maybin CF

Hermida LF

The pitching didn't pan out, but Johnson is great, Nolasco should be good, and Volstad was just throwing too hard (he need to have his pitches sink)

We need a big-time back of the pen guy. I don't know which (if any) of our system pitchers can do that, or we are gonna have to get one. I certainly think that saves are an overrated stat, but a guy you can go to 80 times to get the job done makes the entire pen better.

Frankly, this team improved its record with an offensive handicap atop the order, so without that we should be better.

Baker C

Ramirez SS

Uggla 2B

Morrison 1B

Ross RF

Maybin CF

Hermida LF

In case you forgot, the Marlins are on a budget.

Also, at this point, why would we keep Hermida? A .740 .OPS from a corner outfield spot isn't exactly difficult to replace. And for the amount of money Hermida is set to make...I've supported the guy b/c some people here have been way too harsh on him, at times...but no way is he a keeper, at this point.

I believe we are going to see a package or two. Maybe not this one in particular. Wouldn't surprise me to see Gaby in on one of those.

According to Beinfest last night, it looks like they are doing what I have been hoping for. Sending Boni off to play Winter Ball. He needs some tweeking on a couple things. Bunting and pitch selection at the top of the list. Again, something I, and a couple others, have been saying and Beinfest specifically mentioned last night. Learning better base stealing would also be there, but I'm not sure he can fine tune that at that level. If this 24 YO can fine tune the first two in the winter and show it in ST, he is the 2B next season. He's never had this degree of intense training before and I do believe it will pay off. If not, then I think The Amazing will be a late trade (near or in ST) and Boni becomes the go to utility guy. You people that need a single player to point your finger at and blame for us not making the play offs make me laugh.

You don't think that Uggla is worth more than Mike Jacobs?

Sorry, but a low-mid .800 OPS second baseman who plays average defense is worth more than a high .700 OPS DH. At worst, we will probably get a very good prospect (B, B+), with maybe one or two decent ones. Uggla hasn't been declining, so I don't know what you're talking about there.

I also still find it funny every time someone says Bonifacio was the centerpiece of the Willingham-Olsen trade.

At least we have a serviceable player in Boni that we wouldn't have with Olsen or the Hammer. I think Boni is a decent player. He's young. He's learning. It takes sometime for players to develop. Was Boni absolutely aweful in a lot of games??? Yes. Was his baserunning horrible? Yes. The one thing I do like about him is that he's willing to work his ASS off. How many of these players are willing to do everything they asked him to do for the team??? 3B??? Are you freaking kidding me?? He shut up and played. He's going to be okay. And if he's not, he's another Amezega under control for a few years. Fill in for Hanley, 2B, 3B, OF. It's a no lose situation.

At least we have a serviceable player in Boni that we wouldn't have with Olsen or the Hammer. I think Boni is a decent player. He's young. He's learning. It takes sometime for players to develop. Was Boni absolutely aweful in a lot of games??? Yes. Was his baserunning horrible? Yes. The one thing I do like about him is that he's willing to work his ASS off. How many of these players are willing to do everything they asked him to do for the team??? 3B??? Are you freaking kidding me?? He shut up and played. He's going to be okay. And if he's not, he's another Amezega under control for a few years. Fill in for Hanley, 2B, 3B, OF. It's a no lose situation.

I'd do that too, if I was given the opportunity to start everyday, knowing I had no business starting everyday...probably having no business being in the big leagues, period, right now.

I didn't think it warranted a thread of its own but has anyone seen the pic of Josh Johnson on the front page of the flamarlins.com website. I thought they had the wrong guy lololol

Not as bad as today, they were announcing the Phillies starting defense and they had a picture of Chase Utley in the place of Miguel Cairo.