Marlins dumping big names?

TrustN61

Probably got their info from this Herald article:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/baseball/florida-marlins/story/1258707.html

Word around the Marlins is significant offseason changes are likely coming, with some familiar faces to be jettisoned.

With Florida expected to keep payroll around $37 million barring a surprising change in approach, the Marlins plan to dump Jeremy Hermida; believe they probably cannot afford Dan Uggla (though owner Jeffrey Loria likes him a lot, as one player said); and likely will not re-sign Nick Johnson unless he settles for a deal well below market value.

There's also talk from Marlins people that the team might not be able to afford Jorge Cantu, but that's in question. Josh Johnson, Ricky Nolasco, Uggla, Cantu, Cody Ross and Hermida headline the list of arbitration-eligible Marlins players. Some scuttlebutt:

• There are mixed feelings internally about whether to move Chris Coghlan to second (if Uggla is dealt) or whether to keep him in left field. Some Marlins people have concerns about his defensive ability at second, where he played in the minors. The Marlins do not believe Coghlan would be a good fit at third base. ``Left field could be his best position -- he has taken to it,'' manager Fredi Gonzalez said.

The Marlins would consider using Emilio Bonifacio at second base if Uggla is dealt. Bonifacio said second is his best position, but the Marlins must decide if he's good enough offensively to start. They also could trade for a cheap second baseman.

• If Nick Johnson and/or Cantu aren't retained, the Marlins will give a long spring look to top first-base prospect Logan Morrison, who also can play left field. Gaby Sanchez is another option at first. If Cantu is traded, third-base options would include Wes Helms (will make $950,000 in 2010), Bonifacio (been there, done that) or a prospect acquired for Uggla or Cantu.

• The Marlins could keep Cantu and stay slightly above this year's payroll if: they trade Uggla and Hermida; do not re-sign their top four potential free agents (Nick Johnson, Kiko Calero, Brendan Donnelly, Ross Gload); do not tender Alfredo Amezaga; and add nobody making more than $400,000 or so.

• With a need for outfielders, there's internal support for keeping Ross, who could make $5 million. Cantu could make $6 million and Uggla $7 million.

• If Coghlan stays in left, the rest of the outfield figures to be Cameron Maybin in center and Ross in right. Maybin has hit .265 since returning from Triple A. Top prospect Mike Stanton might be ready by next summer or 2011.

• There's a good chance the 2010 rotation will come from the current group of starters -- Josh Johnson, Nolasco and five others competing for three spots (Chris Volstad, Anibal Sanchez, Andrew Miller, Sean West and Rick VandenHurk).

• Gonzalez ``will wait until next year'' to decide whether Leo Nuñez or Matt Lindstrom will be the closer. ``Both can do it,'' he said.

This is bad news if both Nunez or Lindstrom are retained. I'm seeing the basement coming up next year. We need to open up payroll a little bit also. I thought that would happen once the stadium gets started....at least 5-6 million up to 60-70 million total once we are in the new stadium.

I know the track record and all, and the team's current economic situation at >insert sponsor< Stadium, but I just can't see the Fish dumping more than 1 "big name" guy this winter. I think they'll take the relatively small financial hit to keep guys like Uggla, Cantu and/or Nick Johnson and avoid the PR mess that will come from "dismantling" again. The new ballpark is going up now, no more excuses. People will have even more of a fit about the ballpark then they already are if payroll goes down or stays the same. They've got to keep as many guys as possible and then add a starter or two. They simply cannot continue with business as usual anymore.

I expect Hermida to be gone(which I have no problem with), and one of Cantu/N. Johnson(tougher loss to accept). Trade/lose anyone after that(without replacing with a major league ready equivalent) and the team will have some serious explaining to do.

Boni will be Alfredo 2. I can see if he has a lot of improvement putting him out there at 2b but I think we're going to go with another player there. I'm thinking this is shaping up to be a fight with the Nats for the basement next year. Stranger things have happened though. I can tell you I have ZERO expectations next year. Ok, please be better than the NATS!

• Gonzalez ``will wait until next year'' to decide whether Leo Nuñez or Matt Lindstrom will be the closer. ``Both can do it,'' he said.

Would be great if both would leave.

I think Lindstrom at least. Nunez we could try back in relief next year but Lindstrom??? All I can say it better be injury related. That better have been the reason why he sucked so bad this year.

I think Lindstrom at least. Nunez we could try back in relief next year but Lindstrom??? All I can say it better be injury related. That better have been the reason why he sucked so bad this year.

Nunez is actually going to cost more, considering his 25 saves, and he sure as hell isn't worth it. I'd actually rather keep Lindstrom at this point. Lindstrom's been bad. Nunez has been bad...and lucky.

If I was GM, every reliever would be earning less than a mill.

Still wouldn't be completely shocked to see Uggla hang around, for his 30 HR power.

You don't know the cheapskates that run this team very well, do you?

I still expect him to be traded, but considering he is leading the team in HR and has shown he can get to 30 a season for a few years now, the organisation may feel the team would be lacking in the power department if we didn't have him. Who do we really have that can come in and make an immediate impact to the tune of 20+ HR?

Nunez is actually going to cost more, considering his 25 saves, and he sure as hell isn't worth it. I'd actually rather keep Lindstrom at this point. Lindstrom's been bad. Nunez has been bad...and lucky.

Good idea. Isn't that what the Marlins are doing???

Good idea. Isn't that what the Marlins are doing???

Apparently not.