Marlins dumping big names?

TrustN61

I see Hermida and Uggla leaving, and Cantu and Ross staying. I'd love to keep Johnson around but I don't see that happening. I think Jorge is a candidate to bust out next year.

I see Cantu gone as well, it is kinda unfortunate because Cantu has been just outstanding these last couple of weeks. I just don't think the Marlins are ready to commit to Cantu at 3rd base. If they intend to keep CC in LF, then Morrison's only open spot is 1st base....Don't worry Cantu would help make a nice trade piece

All in all this is looking like a mini firesale.Because none of those guys Uggla, Cantu or Ross suck.Unlike Mike Jacobs or Scott Olsen.

Gotta love how this word is only used when the Marlins make such moves. As Tommy Hutton said the other day, every team adds and drops players every offseason.

Yet, when the Marlins do it, it's a firesale. Mind you, there's a possibility they keep 2 of those 3 players. Especially Cody Ross...all indications seem to be that he's staying.

All in all this is looking like a mini firesale.Because none of those guys Uggla, Cantu or Ross suck.Unlike Mike Jacobs or Scott Olsen.

Gotta love how this word is only used when the Marlins make such moves. As Tommy Hutton said the other day, every team adds and drops players every offseason.

Yet, when the Marlins do it, it's a firesale. Mind you, there's a possibility they keep 2 of those 3 players. Especially Cody Ross...all indications seem to be that he's staying.

Oh please it's different when the Marlins do it.

They have a budget. Since it's not 100 mill+, or even 50 mill+, 8 mill is too much to spend on an Uggla-type player, in this case, Uggla who's good for 30 HR and not much else and when 8 mill can buy all sorts of things that they need, not to mention whatever return he'll bring in a trade. which might be significant from a team which needs his particular talent.

That ain't a "fire-sale," it's smart business, something that Loria and Beinfest have repeatedly demonstrated themselves to be capable of conducting.

I stopped reading right after their predicted payroll. Dosen't fit everything that has been going on. I stick by my prediction of $45-50 mil next season. All those folks that keep saying it will be below $40 mil will be as wrong as they were last year when they said below $30 mil and I was saying between $35-40 mil. So, to me at least, reading further about who is going and staying and what they will be getting paid is a waste of my time.

We are going to have to wait and see. But unless it is actually below $40 mil then it will go completely ignored until next year at this time when all the low-ball predictions come out again.

Really? And why is that? B/c the franchise had a firesale years ago?

I've wondered if there was a trade that could be built around Stephen Drew and Jeremy Hermida, two players who one could argue need a change of scenery to reignite their careers and some prospects exchanged to fill ** perceived future needs of each team. My scenario would be Drew moving to third, admittedly a position he's never played at before, so this is really more thinking out loud than anything else, the idea being if he could bring his fielding pct with him he'd make a fine third baseman defensively and anything approaching a return to his 2008 numbers would solidify the position until Dominguez is truly ready.

As I said though no advocacy, more just a passing thought on a day off at the end of the season...

Yeah those teams add and drop players. We drop stars and try to replace them with prospects or cheap FA gambles.

Yeah those teams add and drop players. We drop stars and try to replace them with prospects or cheap FA gambles.

Yeah that's true. But that is because of payroll concerns. If we had an big payroll we wouldn't have traded Cabrera and probably not Beckett either.

Yeah that's true. But that is because of payroll concerns. If we had an big payroll we wouldn't have traded Cabrera and probably not Beckett either.

You'd rather have Beckett than Hanley?

You'd rather have Beckett than Hanley?

I always do it like this:

Is Beckett the best SP in baseball? No.

Is he in the top 5? No.

Top 10? Possibly.

Top 20? Yeah, for sure.

Is Hanley the best SS in baseball? Yes.

Easily? Yes.

Is he the top position player? No.

Top 2? Most likely.

Top 5? Definitely.

The Marlins aren't the only team that does this.

For example, look at the f***ing Pirates. At least the Marlins put a competitive team on the field most of the time when they do it. The Pirates? Yeahno. Yet, the Marlins get bashed for their firesale. Those other teams...not so much.

I've wondered if there was a trade that could be built around Stephen Drew and Jeremy Hermida, two players who one could argue need a change of scenery to reignite their careers and some prospects exchanged to fill ** perceived future needs of each team. My scenario would be Drew moving to third, admittedly a position he's never played at before, so this is really more thinking out loud than anything else, the idea being if he could bring his fielding pct with him he'd make a fine third baseman defensively and anything approaching a return to his 2008 numbers would solidify the position until Dominguez is truly ready.

As I said though no advocacy, more just a passing thought on a day off at the end of the season...

Why does Stephen Drew need a change of scenery, again? This is a shortstop just a year removed from an .836 .OPS.

The Diamondbacks don't need an overpaid corner outfielder (which is what Hermida will be). Certainly not for Stephen Drew. They might trade Drew...for pitching. I've seen that mentioned.

If I had to pick out of anybody I'd say trade Uggla while his value is at an all-time high for two big-time pitching prospects and just let the rookies play. It's not like we haven't done it before. But if I gotta pick then I'm keeping Ross because of his abilty to play all three OF spots. Hermida is gone and Cantu should be. I think Sanchez can replace him. Move Coughlan to 3rd and Bonerface to 2nd(I don't like anymore than ya'll) and give Caroll and Raynor or whoever we got a chance at the LF spot till Morrison is ready(we will delay his super two status). This year's team has proved that we need BETTER starting pitching than what we got. A little tinkering with adding more speed and defense and pitching and we can overtake the teams we chasing. We got outpitched this year and that something none of us predicted.

If I had to pick out of anybody I'd say trade Uggla while his value is at an all-time high for two big-time pitching prospects and just let the rookies play. It's not like we haven't done it before. But if I gotta pick then I'm keeping Ross because of his abilty to play all three OF spots. Hermida is gone and Cantu should be. I think Sanchez can replace him. Move Coughlan to 3rd and Bonerface to 2nd(I don't like anymore than ya'll) and give Caroll and Raynor or whoever we got a chance at the LF spot till Morrison is ready(we will delay his super two status). This year's team has proved that we need BETTER starting pitching than what we got. A little tinkering with adding more speed and defense and pitching and we can overtake the teams we chasing. We got outpitched this year and that something none of us predicted.

Yeah, but where will the offense come from??? I don't think the FO is going to use Boni at 2B. He'll have to have a terrific spring training in order for that to happen. I see them getting a 2B off the scrap heap.

I don't think we need to be putting Morrison or Stanton on the MLB squad next year. It is too soon. I don't think we'll be that desperate. We'll get a patch work player in one of those trades to make a stop gap for 2011.

Morrison will be in the big leagues, at some point next year. Unless he gets injured or something.

Our offense will be shakey with that lineup I agree but the defense shoud be rock solid or at least hopefully way better than what we are doing now. Our Offense isnt the problem its the pitching and the way that we are scoring runs. We don't have any SB threats or super high OBP guys. Thats why we loved the Nick Johnson deal but we still need better speed and defense. We should follow the Rays model and get more run prevention. And if Offense is all we need then we all know that we got two guys on the Fish Farm that can swing the bat. My point is get something while we can for Cantu because just like we found him on the scrap heap we can find someone else, we always do.

Morrison's coming up next year. We're just gonna delay his arbi process because we're freaking cheap so we know that he'll be in LF or 1st. That why I say move CC to 3rd. I really hope that we find someone else to play 2nd because Bonerface is what killed our season giving him all those AB's. And if Sanchez can provide the OBP that Cantu doesn't then I'll forgive low power numbers for now. We have to get better pitching or develop Volstad, West & Miller or we ain't going nowhere and that's why I say go Twins and forget O and go all Defense.