Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

AFL Day to Day

Featured Replies

First game was today. If somebody could take this over, that would be aces. As I will certainly forget.

 

10/13

 

Mike Stanton - 1-3, R, 2 BB, 2 K, SB

Matt Dominguez - 1-5, R, 2 K

 

Jay Voss - .2 IP, 2 H, 3 R, HR, K, 2 BB

Garrett Parcell - IP, H, 0 BB, 1 K

 

Stanton batted fourth and played RF, Dominguez 7th and 3B. Voss was lit up in the 6th, Parcell came in up 4, in the 9th.

 

Other Marlins on the roster - Buente, Burns, Miller, and Petersen.

From Rotoworld:

 

 

Bryan Petersen homered and doubled twice Wednesday in his first game for Mesa of the AFL. That's a promising start. The Marlins had to be hoping for a little more power from Petersen this year after he hit 23 homers in three stops in 2008. He ended up at .297/.368/.413 with seven homers in 431 at-bats for Double-A Jacksonville. It doesn't look like he'll have the bat to make it as a corner outfielder, and he's unlikely to ever play center in Florida with Cameron Maybin set to run away with the job. He might turn out to be a pretty good fourth outfielder.

Bryan Petersen 1-5

Matt Dominguez 0-4

 

Jay Buente 1 IP, 2 H, 2 R (1 ER), BB

 

Not a good day for Marlins prospects yesterday

Arizona Fall League games can be followed online at www.mlbfallball.com.

 

 

10/17 Game 3: Peoria Saguaros- #Astros RHP Wilton Lopez at Mesa Solar Sox- #Marlins LHP Andrew Miller, 6:35 p.m. at Mesa HoHoKam Stadium.

10/17

 

Peterson: 2-5, R

Stanton: 2-4, HR (1)

Dominguez: 1-4, R

 

Miller: 2 IP, 1 hit, 1 ER, 2 K's, 3 BB's

 

 

Miller looks like he is still having control problems but Stanton and Peterson are both tearing it up. Peterson has a .400 AVG and Stanton has a .533 AVG. Dominguez is slumping with a .154 AVG. And the other 2 outs Stanton got... were K's. Lets hope he doesn't become the next Mark Reynolds (unless he provides the power that Reynolds does)

Miller might be working on specific pitches and stuff, so I don't think we should jump to too many conclusions about his control problems and wait until we hear the scouting reports. That said, you'd still like to see him throwing more strikes, but maybe this is how he can work out his problems.

Yeah, I didn't watch it live or anything, so the only thing I can see is how he performed from the box score. He will have a lot more starts, so hopefully he is working on a specific mechanic problem each time he pitches.

10/19

 

Apparently today was "Bench the Fish's" day in Arizona. Neither Stanton, Dominguez or Peterson played. And... we (Meza) lost 8-1.

if everything goes as planned I'll be there for this saturdays game

 

thanks for the work on the updates!

Lets hope he doesn't become the next Mark Reynolds (unless he provides the power that Reynolds does)

 

 

 

That's one of the most accurate comparisons I have seen of Stanton's game, and I couldn't agree more. I would love for a Mark Reynolds player. Sure the K's hurt, but the power more than makes up for it. If Stanton can become Reynolds, I'll be extremely happy.

 

I'd like to mention however that we have seen Stanton take criticism during his minor league career and improve very quickly, I expect the K rate to drop steadily throughout next year, and I expect a very good season in AA from him (.250 25+ HR's, 80+ RBI's), and that is all pending a September callup (which I expect to happen, oh yeah I said it!)

10/20

 

Peterson: 4-5, 3 runs (.500 AVG)

Stanton: 0-4, BB, SB

Dominguez: 2-5, HR

 

So Stanton cooled off but Dominguez and Peterson both had great days. Peterson is now leading the team with a .500 AVG. Stanton was leading the team coming into the day, but his 0-4 knocked him off.

I'm amazed by Stanton four stolen bases without being cought. He's showing good base running.

Peterson has done very well in the AFL (so far) and had a very good season in AA. How come he isn't a prospect we hear more of? Whenever I read about our prospects I almost never read anything about him. Is he unremarkable?

He will likely become our next Brett Carroll with better average and worse defense.

 

Also Stanton is REALLY reminding me of Mark Reynolds. Mark had 20+ SB's this year, so he wasn't a slouch on the basepath. If Stanton became a 20/20 guy, I would be thrilled. Anything extra on that is just a plus.

He will likely become our next Brett Carroll with better average and worse defense.

 

Also Stanton is REALLY reminding me of Mark Reynolds. Mark had 20+ SB's this year, so he wasn't a slouch on the basepath. If Stanton became a 20/20 guy, I would be thrilled. Anything extra on that is just a plus.

 

 

 

Wouldn't that make him a regular player? Isn't Carroll's lack of offense keeping him from being an everyday player but his stellar defense gets him in late in games?It would stand to reason that if a player would put up greater offensive numbers and just be a regular defensive player he would have an advantage. I'm just speculating, though.

  • Author

He will likely become our next Brett Carroll with better average and worse defense.

 

Also Stanton is REALLY reminding me of Mark Reynolds. Mark had 20+ SB's this year, so he wasn't a slouch on the basepath. If Stanton became a 20/20 guy, I would be thrilled. Anything extra on that is just a plus.

 

If all you mean is a bench guy, sure. But Petersen is nothing like Carroll. Petersen has much better plate discipline and average potential, less natural power, and way less defensive ability.

 

If Stanton becomes a 20/20 guy I'll be pissed. I want him to be slugging .550+. Who cares about SB.

He will likely become our next Brett Carroll with better average and worse defense.

 

Also Stanton is REALLY reminding me of Mark Reynolds. Mark had 20+ SB's this year, so he wasn't a slouch on the basepath. If Stanton became a 20/20 guy, I would be thrilled. Anything extra on that is just a plus.

 

If all you mean is a bench guy, sure. But Petersen is nothing like Carroll. Petersen has much better plate discipline and average potential, less natural power, and way less defensive ability.

 

If Stanton becomes a 20/20 guy I'll be pissed. I want him to be slugging .550+. Who cares about SB.

 

 

Yeah, I meant like a 4th/Platoon OF.

 

 

 

I'm really curious as to why you all see him as only a 4th platoon type player? Is it because we have better options for the outfield or is his defense a liability? He seems to be fairing along quite nicely in the minors.

Well, our OF is going to be great for a long time. Do you see him in the top 3 in our OF? I don't.

 

Stanton/Maybin/Morrison is going to be our longterm OF (hopefully). This is not including Cody Ross or Chris Coghlan. If Peterson was going to start at any time, it would be next year. And as long as we still have Cody Ross, I don't see him starting. However if Cody gets traded (:thumbdown) then Peterson might start 2010. Raynor is also coming along nicely. We have a lot of OF depth, and I don't think Peterson will have a prominent role.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.