Miami Dolphins unveil plans to upgrade stadium

B1az3

I wasn't sure where to post this, so forgive me if this is not the place.

MIAMI GARDENS - The Miami Dolphins unveiled on Thursday a vision for revamping their stadium that includes a metal roof structure that would completely cover the stadium seating, but leave the field open to the air and allow in the South Florida sunlight.

The roof is the biggest part of the proposal to prepare Dolphin Stadium to host future Super Bowls, World Cups and other international events. Other changes include moving lower bowl seating much closer to the field and upgrading video scoreboards. All of the changes would be aimed at making the 23-year-old home of the Dolphins competitive with newer, larger, glitzier and more technologically advanced football stadiums around the league, such as those in Dallas and Arizona.

Dolphins CEO Mike Dee presented renderings of the proposal to the South Florida Super Bowl Host Committee, which voted unanimously to explore stadium renovations as a way to ensure Super Bowls return to the region after Super Bowl XLIV on Feb. 7. The NFL has put South Florida on notice that without stadium upgrades, the big game is not assured of returning.

Dee and Super Bowl Host Committee Chairman Rodney Barreto said no cost estimates or sources to pay for the renovations have been determined. They insisted that unveiling the proposal was about beginning the discussions to see if the community wants to continue hosting the Super Bowls. Dee said he expects a price tag to be determined within the next few weeks.

"This is not about the Dolphins or the stadium," Dee said. "It's about economic development. It's about being able to compete for events on a national and international level."

Dee said the previous Super Bowl in South Florida in 2007 pumped about $400 million directly into local businesses and hundreds of millions more in media and marketing exposure.

Although South Florida is to host its record 10th Super Bowl on Feb. 7, the community lost out to New Orleans, which is vastly upgrading the Superdome, in its bid for the 2013 game. It has stiff competition, including the new stadium being built for the New York Giants and Jets, for the 2014 game.

Under the proposal unveiled Thursday, the roof would be 621,000 square feet and be placed 25 feet above the top of the existing seating bowl and have four support structures above that resemble the supports on a suspension bridge. Although the roof would be metal, it would be structured to allow the light in and the field would remain uncovered.

http://www.sun-senti...m-0108-20100107,0,1924520.story

I think it looks pretty cool. The seating bowl looks a lot more football friendly. It'll be very interesting to see how it goes when they go out and ask for public financing for this. I bet they have a much easier time then the Marlins had for the past decade. My guess is the NFL will promise x-number of Super Bowls and a deal will get struck.

I think it makes it look far more like a soccer stadium that you would find over here in Europe.

Yeah it does. I kinda like the design(especially the new seats). I just wish $250 million(or even half that) could be put out there for an ACTUAL soccer stadium to get MLS back in town...

By the next Super Bowl(and surely the World Cup if the US gets 2018 or 22), the stadium will be a dinosaur compared to other venues around the country. I agree it needs upgrades but unlike the Marlins, I don't see why any public money has to be used. Let the NFL and Ross pay for it. If they wanted an entirely new stadium(perhaps coupled with the World Cup or maybe a future summer Olympics) I'd be more willing to support that idea. The ballpark however was something new that the team actually needed(and has needed since day 1) and has kept baseball in South Florida.

Looks like a bit of work to move the current score boards, or get new ones, and semi-demolish the upper deck stands in the corners to fit them in. Could force the football team(s) to move out for a season and play at the new ballpark. If that happens I hope the Marlins turn the tables and hit them with a crappy lease lol.

I just learned today in an accounting class that the Super Bowl rotates around a few stadiums generally, and then I come on here and see a comment made about the same thing. Add that to my long list of reasons to hate the NFL. Why, again, is the Super Bowl not hosted in one of the two cities competing? I know that since it's one game, the home-field advantage in terms of fan support may be lopsided but it can't be that bad. When UF and Oklahoma played, there were as many Sooner fans as Gator fans in that stadium even though the time it would take those living around their respective teams is vastly different.

I just learned today in an accounting class that the Super Bowl rotates around a few stadiums generally, and then I come on here and see a comment made about the same thing. Add that to my long list of reasons to hate the NFL. Why, again, is the Super Bowl not hosted in one of the two cities competing? I know that since it's one game, the home-field advantage in terms of fan support may be lopsided but it can't be that bad. When UF and Oklahoma played, there were as many Sooner fans as Gator fans in that stadium even though the time it would take those living around their respective teams is vastly different.

Because a Super Bowl played up north in the freezing cold/snow would affect the halftime show and the events leading up to the game. What are people gonna do in the two weeks leading up to the game if it's played somewhere like Green Bay? Is there even enough hotels in the area to accomodate everyone? That's why they tend to keep it in cities in the south that are considered party cities and such.

I think it makes it look far more like a soccer stadium that you would find over here in Europe.

Yeah it does. I kinda like the design(especially the new seats). I just wish $250 million(or even half that) could be put out there for an ACTUAL soccer stadium to get MLS back in town...

By the next Super Bowl(and surely the World Cup if the US gets 2018 or 22), the stadium will be a dinosaur compared to other venues around the country. I agree it needs upgrades but unlike the Marlins, I don't see why any public money has to be used. Let the NFL and Ross pay for it. If they wanted an entirely new stadium(perhaps coupled with the World Cup or maybe a future summer Olympics) I'd be more willing to support that idea. The ballpark however was something new that the team actually needed(and has needed since day 1) and has kept baseball in South Florida.

Looks like a bit of work to move the current score boards, or get new ones, and semi-demolish the upper deck stands in the corners to fit them in. Could force the football team(s) to move out for a season and play at the new ballpark. If that happens I hope the Marlins turn the tables and hit them with a crappy lease lol.

I actually think this would be a pretty good use of public money. Once this is done, the stadium would basically be brand new and it would attract a lot of events like the Super Bowl and the World Cup (which the stadium is currently bidding on) which bring in hundreds of millions of dollars into the local economy. In the case of the Super Bowl, it brings that money into the economy on a fairly consistent basis. I can see the local governments, in return for the funds, requesting the NFL assure that Miami gets the game on a regular rotation. Just like the Marlins deal, people will whine and complain about this, you'll probably get lawsuits, but in the end, the Dolphins will get this money and the renovations will get done.

The Orange seats never bothered me but that rendition looks beautiful without them. How come in the first picture the hole in the roof is square but in the second, its rectangular? I guess its just angle skew.

Are they gonna wait for the Marlins to move out before they start? Either that or alot of graveyard shift construction.

Why should taxpayers pay to give the stadium a botox injection? Don't these people understand the concept of a recession? When did cosmetics become so important with staduims anyway? I thought luxury boxes and seating capacity were the most important. Why does it matter if JRS doesn't look as pretty as the stadium in Dallas?

Another reason not to use taxpayers money: The world's gonna end in 2012 anyway. This current cold spell in South Florida is because the poles have started shifting. A whole week+ with lows in the 40's/upper 30's. When was the last time that happened?

When you cosider that the Collesium in Rome held events for hundreds of years, its really sad how modern stadiums and arenas have such short lifespans.

Because a Super Bowl played up north in the freezing cold/snow would affect the halftime show and the events leading up to the game. What are people gonna do in the two weeks leading up to the game if it's played somewhere like Green Bay? Is there even enough hotels in the area to accomodate everyone? That's why they tend to keep it in cities in the south that are considered party cities and such.

Exactly right.

The average superbowl ticket price is about $1,000 (if not more). Many fans might not be willing to spend thousands of dollars if they had to go to Buffalo to see the superbowl. The NFL also likes to have games in domes or cities where the kick off temperature is usually over 50 degrees. That ensures that the superbowl is played in almost ideal conditions and wont give one team and advantage over another.

I dont like the roof in those pictures, it looks cheesy having a giant square over the field, IMO.

I have no problem with them upgrading the seats and viewing angles, but I think it would be a waste to build a roof. A roof is not going to bring in more fans.

More comfortable if you are in the shade from the sun and also not gonna get soaked if it starts p*ssing down. It might be marginal how it affects crowd numbers, but it makes for a more enjoyable and comfortable viewing experience.

I dont like the roof in those pictures, it looks cheesy having a giant square over the field, IMO.

I have no problem with them upgrading the seats and viewing angles, but I think it would be a waste to build a roof. A roof is not going to bring in more fans.

More comfortable if you are in the shade from the sun and also not gonna get soaked if it starts p*ssing down. It might be marginal how it affects crowd numbers, but it makes for a more enjoyable and comfortable viewing experience.

No arguement there about it improving the experience. However, if it would only increase attendance by 1,000 is it going to be worth it to the team? The only way to make it worth it is to then increase ticket prices.

No arguement there about it improving the experience. However, if it would only increase attendance by 1,000 is it going to be worth it to the team? The only way to make it worth it is to then increase ticket prices.

Because of the NFL having a salary cap, benefits for the team in a situation like this are not all that apparent as may be the case in like soccer where increased revenues can be used to increase the wage bills and sign expensive players.. As has been mentioned previously, the local economy will most certainly benefit if it means more Superbowls and potential World Cup matches. I guess one way in which the team would benefit, although it is debatable by how much, is if more people are going to the stadium and visiting the area from further afield, they may purchase Dolphins merchandise etc. I know that there is a decent support for the Dolphins in the UK (relative to most of the other teams) and I guess this ties in with Goodell's vision of expanding the NFL globally.

I've gone off on a bit of a tangent...

Because of the NFL having a salary cap, benefits for the team in a situation like this are not all that apparent as may be the case in like soccer where increased revenues can be used to increase the wage bills and sign expensive players.. As has been mentioned previously, the local economy will most certainly benefit if it means more Superbowls and potential World Cup matches. I guess one way in which the team would benefit, although it is debatable by how much, is if more people are going to the stadium and visiting the area from further afield, they may purchase Dolphins merchandise etc. I know that there is a decent support for the Dolphins in the UK (relative to most of the other teams) and I guess this ties in with Goodell's vision of expanding the NFL globally.

How is a roof over the stands going to make people from further away go to games? The only thing these upgrades mean is higher ticket prices.

Did they say how much the roof itself would cost? Either way, if it brings more superbowls to miami, then go for it. The local economy can use all the help it can get. I myself, do not see any value in building a roof over the stands.

How is a roof over the stands going to make people from further away go to games? The only thing these upgrades mean is higher ticket prices.

Did they say how much the roof itself would cost? Either way, if it brings more superbowls to miami, then go for it. The local economy can use all the help it can get. I myself, do not see any value in building a roof over the stands.

That is not what I was saying. My point was the roof may lead to more Superbowls and World Cup matches which brings in people from further afield and some of them may purchase Dolphins merchandise etc and this leads to higher revenues.

That is not what I was saying. My point was the roof may lead to more Superbowls and World Cup matches which brings in people from further afield and some of them may purchase Dolphins merchandise etc and this leads to higher revenues.

It would certainly bring people to miami for superbowls. The earliest the world cup could be in the US is 2018, and the stadium would only get a few games if any. However, the stadium in its current condition, is already hosting superbowls without spending a dollar on upgrades.

If people are coming from a far to watch the superbowl, why would they buy dolphins merchandise? They would buy merchandise of the teams that are playing in the game. I dont know if the dolphins would keep any of that revenue.

However, the stadium in its current condition, is already hosting superbowls without spending a dollar on upgrades.

The NFL told Dolphin ownership that Miami would no longer be considered for future Super Bowls unless they upgrade to rival modern stadiums like Dallas and Arizona.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.