Josh Johnson, 4 years $39 million

Ideally, he stays healthy enough to increase his market value the next two seasons, then we unload him before he starts making $13.5M

Ideally, he pitches 800+ innings at a sub 3.50 era and we win a world series.

You have absolutely no concept of how to build a baseball team. You should look around at baseball and not just the Marlins operating on the lowest payroll in baseball the last 8 years.

Ideally, he stays healthy enough to increase his market value the next two seasons, then we unload him before he starts making $13.5M

Ideally, he pitches 800+ innings at a sub 3.50 era and we win a world series.

You have absolutely no concept of how to build a baseball team. You should look around at baseball and not just the Marlins operating on the lowest payroll in baseball the last 8 years.

I'm looking forward to the new ballpark as much as anybody, and I'm hoping revenues & payroll increase substantially. But if it doesn't, there's no reason (unless it's Hanley or Pujols) to allocate to any one single player, 30% of the entire payroll. Especially a pitcher who has already blown out his elbow once.

The only way this team is going to win/contend each season, is by having a handful of very good major leaguers (4 win players), while they're in their first three years of service time (making the league minimum).

I'm looking forward to the new ballpark as much as anybody, and I'm hoping revenues & payroll increase substantially. But if it doesn't, there's no reason (unless it's Hanley or Pujols) to allocate to any one single player, 30% of the entire payroll. Especially a pitcher who has already blown out his elbow once.

The only way this team is going to win/contend each season, is by having a handful of very good major leaguers (4 win players), while they're in their first three years of service time (making the league minimum).

You really think the Marlins are going to have around a $45 million payroll in 2012 which would represent 30% of the payroll going to Johnson.

You really think the Marlins are going to have around a $45 million payroll in 2012 which would represent 30% of the payroll going to Johnson.

And it makes my $45-50 mil Opening Day payroll even more plausable. It could go higher, but I don't change my predictions almost weekly.

Why don't people understand that this likely lowers our payroll for the next two seasons, albeit fairly marginally. He was due to get about 4.5 million in arbitration. If we get to the 45-50 million dollar range in 10, it's not because we gave JJ a contract. It will be because we are keeping Uggla and Cantu. That's literally the difference between 40 and 45 million.

Maybe because it's not what the 3 groups involved are saying. Maybe it's because this only the middle of January and they realize how slow the FA market is moving and actually realize more moves are almost guaranteed to happen. Maybe it's because it dosen't fit what is happening as far as season ticket sales.

You're misunderstanding bobbob's point. He's saying that, in this contract, JJ is actually going to make a little bit less than he was likely to receive in arbitration ($3.75 MM vs an estimated $4.5MM); all other things being equal, we have a slightly smaller monetary obligation now than we expected before this contract was signed.

I don't think he meant to imply that this contract signifies any other cost cuts or anything; just that, if given all our other moves, for example, our payroll would have been $45 MM if JJ went to arbitration, it would be $44.5 MM now that he's signed this deal.

You are right. I did misunderstand his meaning on that. Still, it dosen't change the fact that I truely believed back in October, when this year's payroll was being predicted on boards and the media, it would be $45-50 mil and everyone else was saying below what last year's payroll would be. And I thought Uggla would be gone by now. I didn't base that figure on Uggla or Cantu because I figured if one or both (predicted Cantu would stay and Uggla be gone, actually) were gone then someone (more precisely someones)would be brought in at other areas to fill different voids. So unless I am misunderstanding again, then it isn't totally reliant on Uggla and/or Cantu being here.

And it makes my $45-50 mil Opening Day payroll even more plausable. It could go higher, but I don't change my predictions almost weekly.

Why don't people understand that this likely lowers our payroll for the next two seasons, albeit fairly marginally. He was due to get about 4.5 million in arbitration. If we get to the 45-50 million dollar range in 10, it's not because we gave JJ a contract. It will be because we are keeping Uggla and Cantu. That's literally the difference between 40 and 45 million.

Maybe because it's not what the 3 groups involved are saying. Maybe it's because this only the middle of January and they realize how slow the FA market is moving and actually realize more moves are almost guaranteed to happen. Maybe it's because it dosen't fit what is happening as far as season ticket sales.

You're misunderstanding bobbob's point. He's saying that, in this contract, JJ is actually going to make a little bit less than he was likely to receive in arbitration ($3.75 MM vs an estimated $4.5MM); all other things being equal, we have a slightly smaller monetary obligation now than we expected before this contract was signed.

I don't think he meant to imply that this contract signifies any other cost cuts or anything; just that, if given all our other moves, for example, our payroll would have been $45 MM if JJ went to arbitration, it would be $44.5 MM now that he's signed this deal.

You are right. I did misunderstand his meaning on that. Still, it dosen't change the fact that I truely believed back in October, when this year's payroll was being predicted on boards and the media, it would be $45-50 mil and everyone else was saying below what last year's payroll would be. And I thought Uggla would be gone by now. I didn't base that figure on Uggla or Cantu because I figured if one or both (predicted Cantu would stay and Uggla be gone, actually) were gone then someone (more precisely someones)would be brought in at other areas to fill different voids. So unless I am misunderstanding again, then it isn't totally reliant on Uggla and/or Cantu being here.

Ya know Lou, for once we are actually on the same page. That's exactly how I understood that post.

Ya know Lou, for once we are actually on the same page. That's exactly how I understood that post.

Make that all three of us and that is amazing!

Wow. Someone check the temperature in Hades.

Wow. Someone check the temperature in Hades.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm posting this for perspective because we had a few idiots in this thread mouthing off we can't risk this payroll and it's to much.

Justin Verlander rhp

5 years/$80M (2010-14)

$0.5M signing bonus

10:$6.75M, 11:$12.75M, 12:$20M, 13:$20M, 14:$20M

Felix Hernandez rhp

5 years/$78M (2010-14)

$3.5M signing bonus

10:$6.5M, 11:$10M, 12:$18.5M, 13:$19.5M, 14:$20M

limited no-trade protection

performance and award bonuses, including Cy Young

Josh Johnson rhp

4 years/$39M (2010-13)

10:$3.75M, 11:$7.75M, 12:$13.75M, 13:$13.75M

award bonuses: $1M for WS MVP, $0.5M for Cy Young, $50,000 for All Star

Granted, it is one year less than the Verlander/Hernandez megadeals, but your per season average basically come out to Josh Johnson at $10 million, and the other two just above $15 million. These are all tremendous ace level pitchers with huge upside and entering their prime. This is an enormous cost savings, and it's important to give a little credit to the Marlins for getting this deal done before Felix/Verlander signed as those two back end free agency years are more valuable now. i.e., what Sosnick originally wanted in the $44 range is, in a vacuum, what Johnson should have got. He may be a kicker and a screamer, but he did see the market turning into this so he knows what he is doing.

The Marlins get an A+ on everything for this one. They held firm, saved $5+ million over four years in the process, and got the contract done. Timing is everything. Nailed it.

I'm posting this for perspective because we had a few idiots in this thread mouthing off we can't risk this payroll and it's to much.

Justin Verlander rhp

5 years/$80M (2010-14)

$0.5M signing bonus

10:$6.75M, 11:$12.75M, 12:$20M, 13:$20M, 14:$20M

Felix Hernandez rhp

5 years/$78M (2010-14)

$3.5M signing bonus

10:$6.5M, 11:$10M, 12:$18.5M, 13:$19.5M, 14:$20M

limited no-trade protection

performance and award bonuses, including Cy Young

Josh Johnson rhp

4 years/$39M (2010-13)

10:$3.75M, 11:$7.75M, 12:$13.75M, 13:$13.75M

award bonuses: $1M for WS MVP, $0.5M for Cy Young, $50,000 for All Star

Granted, it is one year less than the Verlander/Hernandez megadeals, but your per season average basically come out to Josh Johnson at $10 million, and the other two just above $15 million. These are all tremendous ace level pitchers with huge upside and entering their prime. This is an enormous cost savings, and it's important to give a little credit to the Marlins for getting this deal done before Felix/Verlander signed as those two back end free agency years are more valuable now. i.e., what Sosnick originally wanted in the $44 range is, in a vacuum, what Johnson should have got. He may be a kicker and a screamer, but he did see the market turning into this so he knows what he is doing.

The Marlins get an A+ on everything for this one. They held firm, saved $5+ million over four years in the process, and got the contract done. Timing is everything. Nailed it.

When you have guys like Verlander and Felix earning $20m a year in the not too distant future and the chance of Pujols making $30m annually with a new contract, it begs the question what will the eventual limit to baseball player's salaries be?

It is scary how much these guys get paid and there are major problems in the soccer world from all these excessive pay packages with some guys getting £150,000+ per week.