10 More Players Cut

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Fredi told the AP there will be another round of cuts tomorrow, any guesses who is headed out?

Update, the cuts are as follows:

Derrick Turnbow (Released), Jay Buente (AAA), Brett Sinkbeil (AAA), Kris Harvey (AA)

Daniel Jennings, Matt Peterson, Chris Schroder, Ozzie Martinez , Chris Hatcher, Matt Dominguez re-assigned to Minor League camp

Cool, this is the point in spring training where it gets boring seeing these obvious minor leaguers play anyway, so this is welcomed for me. Hopefully we see quite a bit of cuts and start seeing some more serious regular season type lineups.

Here's a link to our non-roster invitees. That's a good place start.

Some will go because the organization wants to give them a chance to catch on elsewhere. Some because they have outlived their usefulness and some are minor leaguers who were only in the major league camp in the first place so they could get a taste of what they are aiming for (Matt Dominguez as an example).

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/team/roster_nri.jsp?c_id=fla

There's some obvious choices here but I guess we'll have to wait to see who gets chopped tomorrow.

Hopefully Stanton stays up all Spring. I don't see any reason to cut him yet. Morrison as well. He needs to see as much "major" league pitching as possible right now to turn things around for him. He's been struggling bad all Spring it seems.

Hopefully Stanton stays up all Spring. I don't see any reason to cut him yet. Morrison as well. He needs to see as much "major" league pitching as possible right now to turn things around for him. He's been struggling bad all Spring it seems.

Glenn Geffner was on 790 the other day saying Morrison has been hitting better than his numbers indicate. Said he was hitting the all hard just at people.

Glenn Geffner was on 790 the other day saying Morrison has been hitting better than his numbers indicate. Said he was hitting the all hard just at people.

I guess I'll have to take his word for it since I haven't been able to see LoMo play at all.

I guess I'll have to take his word for it since I haven't been able to see LoMo play at all.

Frisaro has also stated it.

Frisaro has also stated it.

Geffner and Frisaro say that about a guy that is probably going to be our 1B for quite some time. Had it been about a guy that isn't projected so high they would be saying he couldn't hit ML pitching very well. Period. It's more or less playing the favorites and staying in good graces. It's a bit hypocritical, but I don't think I've ever seen a media guy that wasn't a bit of a hypocrit on some things.

I'm no scout or a media guy, but from the games I have seen him play this Spring-------He's hit a couple that the other team has made some good plays on and his K/AB rate isn't all that bad. To me he just seems a bit hesitant at the plate. Like he's not comfortable there yet. But this is his first "extended" time vs ML pitchers and we still have a couple weeks left in ST. He will be seeing more time vs guys that are going to be on rosters in the time that's left, so more can be told from that. But just before the games started (days) I read a quote from him where he stated he was still feeling some effects of that thumb injury on swing and misses. Nothing more about it since then tho.

I'm surprised Jai is still with the club. He has not impressed at the plate or in the field during ST. I don't think he has any chance of making the Opening Day roster, but it seems the Marlins might view him as their 5th outfielder in the wings (or at least are giving him every opportunity to lose/take that spot).

I'm surprised Jai is still with the club. He has not impressed at the plate or in the field during ST. I don't think he has any chance of making the Opening Day roster, but it seems the Marlins might view him as their 5th outfielder in the wings (or at least are giving him every opportunity to lose/take that spot).

Jai is "next outfielder up" in a situation where someone gets hurt. I know the prevailing thought may be Petersen based on performance, but the 40 man is a little slammed right now to be making room for outfielders, and Jai could handle being a bench OF if it's a week or three injury. Something more longterm, would probably force the Marlins hands to Petersen (or maybe Cousins who is also on the 40, but is clearly "behind" BP right now in his career), but a 15 day DL stint from Maybin or Cody or Coghlan or Carroll, is probably Jai's callup. I just see no reason why Jai shouldn't be in camp till the last days of Spring training even if it's incredibly unlikely he makes the 25 man roster. He's got a purpose, even if it's a small one. Let him see the heightened competition for a few weeks. No harm done.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.