Nate Robertson Acquired From Detroit

Admin

Initial reaction is :|

Jay Voss is a very real nice lefty RP prospect and I really do not like Nate Robertson.

I wonder if he's filling the last BP spot or pushing a starter out of the rotation?EDIT: didn't think of Robertson being a lefty as said by Gizmo, so that means rotation. Guess Hensley to the pen?

Well, we did draft him in 99...

I liked Jay Voss, kind of sad we traded him. However, we badly needed a lefty, and Nate Robertson isn't as horrible as his last season showed...or his 2008 season.

Hopefully he can regain his 2006 form.

Hopefully he can regain his 2006 form.

His peripherals showed that he was pitching way over his head in 2006. He finished with a 4.72 FIP that year, with his career FIP being 4.74. It's no surprise at all he came crashing down back to form after that year. I really don't see him as an upgrade over any of our current options, so it seems like a pointless move to me. My basic hope is that our coaching staff sees something they can "fix", and we're not acquiring him for him to pitch as he has pitched throughout his career.

I don't like this move.

Clearly the Marlins made this move because they want the lefty in the rotation. On the surface this makes sense, but Andrew Miller with all of his struggles can probably be more productive than Robertson who had an ERA of 6.35 and a WHIP of 1.660 in 2008 (the last full season he pitched as a starter).

I would rather see what Hensley can do as a starter first and then decide whether putting Robertson in the rotation is necessary.

The Marlins acquired lefty Nate Robertson and cash considerations from the Tigers for minor league pitcher Jay Voss, according to a Tigers press release. I imagine the Tigers are picking up the vast majority of the $10MM owed to Robertson. Robertson originally came up through the Marlins' system, and was traded to the Tigers in the Mark Redman deal in January of '03. The 32-year-old posted a 5.44 ERA, 6.3 K/9, and 5.1 BB/9 in 49.6 innings last year. He started the '09 season in the Tigers' bullpen and hit the DL in May with a back strain. In June, he had surgery to remove four masses in his elbow. He rejoined the rotation in September, but strained his groin shortly thereafter. Robertson had November surgery to repair that tear.

I agree that I'd rather see what Hensley or RVH could do over giving Robertson the 5th spot.

And I really didn't want to give up Jay Voss. Would've been under team control for quite some time, and he could've filled in as the 7th inning guy as early as September, this just seems like a lateral move (we already have a guy like Robertson in Miller, only Miller has more room to grow).

Wow, this is retarded. If you were going to replace someone else in the rotation, I'd hate this move less, but to use it to replace our best performer in spring training is absolutely retarded.

Could be to send Volstad to the minors.

Wow Nate Robertson a Marlin again, I like the versatility that this gives to the pitching staff, if Nate struggles then they can put Hensley in the rotation and he would give us another lefty in the pen, one that like Badenhop can eat some innings for you. I always loved his Ricky Vaughn looking glasses too.

I'm getting the exact same feeling I got when I found out the Marlins traded for Jorge Julio.

The Julio move was also made right before the season started and it was perplexing as to why it was necessary.

Well, now you can change your Jorge Julio pic.

For the sake of the team, I hope I don't have to. :lol