Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The Marlins are changing their name?

Featured Replies

Honestly, does it really matter? Were getting a baseball only stadium, which we have wanted for 10+ years now....

 

I could careless if they wear purple.. Im totally fine with changing the name to Miami, screw the state of FLA they did sh*t for us.

 

A stadium that is fugly in every sense of the word.

I disagree.

 

And even if it is ugly, it's ours.

 

Just imagine how your parents felt when you were born.

 

(oh snap! Just kidding.)

Honestly, does it really matter? Were getting a baseball only stadium, which we have wanted for 10+ years now....

 

I could careless if they wear purple.. Im totally fine with changing the name to Miami, screw the state of FLA they did sh*t for us.

 

A stadium that is fugly in every sense of the word.

First person I hear say anything like this.

those giant orange letters on the grown look real stupid and the building looks like an aircraft carrier from the year 3000. AND HAVE YOU SEEN THAT THING THATS SUPPOSED TO POP UP AFTER HOMERUNS?!

 

i'm down with getting a stadium. but... it looks kinda whack

those giant orange letters on the grown look real stupid and the building looks like an aircraft carrier from the year 3000. AND HAVE YOU SEEN THAT THING THATS SUPPOSED TO POP UP AFTER HOMERUNS?!

 

i'm down with getting a stadium. but... it looks kinda whack

 

 

What the hell is a "grown" and the Letters are a nod to history.

 

It looks like an aircraft carrier because it has a retractable dome in a modern art city and its NOT supposed to look like Target Field or Camden Yards.

 

The thing is center is (as you put so eloquently) "Wack", but I'd take the Fish thing and the Apple in NYC over the blue tarp we have these days.

those giant orange letters on the grown look real stupid and the building looks like an aircraft carrier from the year 3000. AND HAVE YOU SEEN THAT THING THATS SUPPOSED TO POP UP AFTER HOMERUNS?!

 

i'm down with getting a stadium. but... it looks kinda whack

 

Those giant orange letters are awesome and a great way to recognize the history of the site; I like the modern look but understand it's not for everyone (though I'm sick of the faux-retro everyone else is doing) ; and I agree with the last thing but that's the only thing about it that I find ugly.

I think it looks great, and was pleasantly surprised when I saw it. I am still not exactly sure what we will get for our homerun pop-up. Samson said the other day on the telecast to Tommy & Rich that it will be an artsy-fartsy thing. :rolleyes: Oh dear God ! :blink:

I don't see what's bad about the ballpark other than the Red Grooms thing. If the actual feature is anything like the videos have been depicting, I sense that this organization will be mocked for it, just like they were for Scott Stapp and the Manatees.

I think it looks great, and was pleasantly surprised when I saw it. I am still not exactly sure what we will get for our homerun pop-up. Samson said the other day on the telecast to Tommy & Rich that it will be an artsy-fartsy thing. :rolleyes: Oh dear God ! :blink:

 

There's a video and a rendering of it floating around somewhere, but I recommend not viewing them.

I think it looks great, and was pleasantly surprised when I saw it. I am still not exactly sure what we will get for our homerun pop-up. Samson said the other day on the telecast to Tommy & Rich that it will be an artsy-fartsy thing. :rolleyes: Oh dear God ! :blink:

 

There's a video and a rendering of it floating around somewhere, but I recommend not viewing them.

Yeah. I was looking for it to show Mary but I think the tact police removed it from the internet.

 

 

Though, to say it's bad because it's "artsy-fartsy" borders on ignorant-sounding.

I think it looks great, and was pleasantly surprised when I saw it. I am still not exactly sure what we will get for our homerun pop-up. Samson said the other day on the telecast to Tommy & Rich that it will be an artsy-fartsy thing. :rolleyes: Oh dear God ! :blink:

 

There's a video and a rendering of it floating around somewhere, but I recommend not viewing them.

Yeah. I was looking for it to show Mary but I think the tact police removed it from the internet.

 

 

Though, to say it's bad because it's "artsy-fartsy" borders on ignorant-sounding.

 

Well trying to be better in my paraphrasing of Mr Samson, he said something like "everyone will be blown away, Jeff's involvement in the art world will be melded into our centerpiece and homerun feature".

 

Sorry but that sounds like its gonna be "artsy-fartsy" to me. But I will go hunting for those videos, now my curiosity is really piqued.

It's not really artistic. It's just gaudy and tacky.

 

I don't doubt that Samson and Loria believe what they are saying, but I think that they will find that most will disagree with them.

 

I like a lot of 20th and 21st century art. However, I've seen the video and I know I don't like this.

Well I wont lie, I like the retro trend in ballpark architecture(but I am from the midwest, what is aesthetically pleasing differs greatly from region to region). The stadium just looks like it will focus too much on art deco and not enough of just being a place to see baseball. They should be ashamed of themselves for even devising that home run feature. The exterior curves and angles looks like they are going for fung suay.

 

I have said it all along, letting Jeffrey Loria in on the design process is a mistake(look at renderings for the ballpark the Expos were going to build...it was horrendous). I think the finished product will be very unappealing to the eyes in just about every way.

ground*

jesus chirst. i was drunk. suck it. "grown" sounds like "ground" anyway.

and this isn't the orange bowl. the Marlins' stadium has no affliliation with the Hurricanes. i don't get it. they'll get their own stadium soon enough.

 

and that "Red Grooms" thing (his name alone pisses me off) is DISGUSTING. its not even "tacky". its ugly.

Honestly, does it really matter? Were getting a baseball only stadium, which we have wanted for 10+ years now....

 

I could careless if they wear purple.. Im totally fine with changing the name to Miami, screw the state of FLA they did sh*t for us.

 

 

 

I look at that differently. As in....we did that to ourselves. Why should the state give us support through tax credits, or whatever, when we wouldn't support ourselves by attending games? I think they were right.

Well I wont lie, I like the retro trend in ballpark architecture(but I am from the midwest, what is aesthetically pleasing differs greatly from region to region). The stadium just looks like it will focus too much on art deco and not enough of just being a place to see baseball. They should be ashamed of themselves for even devising that home run feature. The exterior curves and angles looks like they are going for fung suay.

 

I have said it all along, letting Jeffrey Loria in on the design process is a mistake(look at renderings for the ballpark the Expos were going to build...it was horrendous). I think the finished product will be very unappealing to the eyes in just about every way.

 

 

I think the best thing about the new stadium is that it is NOT going to be one of the "retro style" parks. That design has been so overused in the past decade that all of the new ballparks have started to look too similar to eachother. Retro has become the new cookie-cutter. Besides, dropping a retro park onto the OB site just would look out of place with the rest of the area. Our park will be unique. Like Target Field, it won't look like any other park in the majors, and that is cool with me. I would at least wait until you see the finished product before proclaiming it "fugly". So far from the renderings and from what you can tell from the webcams, the ballpark looks like it will be pretty awesome. You may not trust Loria's style, but you have to trust that Populous (HOK) is not going to build an "unappealing" ballpark.

There were two drivers here which stand out above the rest.

 

Building it on time. And on budget.

 

That does not mean design took a backseat or has been relegated to a less important consideration (and I think so far what we've seen is truly marvelous and thankfully not another faux forties replica structure so I like the work they've done) but controlling overruns in construction costs while staying on their timetable makes for limited options when it comes to materials used. It isn't for example by accident that so much glass is built into the design or that the roof structure mimics many previously tested ones. That's how you keep costs in line.

ground*

jesus chirst. i was drunk. suck it. "grown" sounds like "ground" anyway.

and this isn't the orange bowl. the Marlins' stadium has no affliliation with the Hurricanes. i don't get it. they'll get their own stadium soon enough.

 

and that "Red Grooms" thing (his name alone pisses me off) is DISGUSTING. its not even "tacky". its ugly.

 

 

I am guessing you are not from South Florida. If you were you wouldn't even say a peep about the Orange Bowl. It was more, much, much more than just a football stadium. It WAS South Florida.

 

1st the original part of the main stands were built in the late 1930's. That in and of just itself is a miracle that it was standing more than 60 years later.

 

2nd, more than just Hurricanes history was made in that stadium. 16 college football national champions were crowned on that field. 5 Super Bowl champions were crowned there. The Dolphins had the longest home winning streak (1971 to 1975) for many year in the NFL and the U of Miami still holds the longest home winning streak of 58 games (1985 to 1994) there.

 

Then you have High School football, which again if you aren't from here you can be excused for not knowing the history of HS football & the Orange Bowl, but if you are from here, there is ZERO excuse. I attended the famous 1966 Miami High vs Coral Gables "Dream Game" between what were the # 1 ranked Miami High and # 2 ranked Gables High. Gables won 20-16, and were crowned the (mythical) High School National Champions, and 65,000 attended that game, which still makes it the highest attended high school game in US history. That was the host for the game for 30 years that everyone attended on Thanksgiving Day here in Miami, the whole city revolved around it.

 

For years it hosted a dozen or more "important" high school games every year, as well as every Dade County High School band competition.

 

But aside from football, it also holds Miami baseball history, as the old Miami Marlins would play at least one series a year at the Orange Bowl from 1956-1960.

 

Then there are the "other" sporting events that were held there. World Cup Soccer in 1996, and numerous CONCAF & World Cup qualifiers that were held there. There were also many, many boxing matches, pro "wrestling" events and dozens of other events, many of which were concerts by the biggest bands in the world, including Michael Jackson, Maddona, The Rolling Stones among others.

 

Last but not least there was one of the biggest non-sporting events in the history of South Fla that took place in 1963. Just A couple of weeks before his asassination, President Kennedy made a speech to 50,000 Cuban Exiles, that established future American policies towards Cuba, and in turn changed the face of South Florida forever.

 

So as one who spent countless hours at sporting events and other kinds of events in the Orange Bowl, please don't just slough off what that place means to me, and thousands of others who were born, or grew up in South Florida. To many of us, that place is almost hallowed sacred ground, and many an eye was tearful the day we saw it starting to be torn down. A big chunk of our lives was gone the day they tore it down. It was the equvialent for a South Fla native to Wrigley Field or Fenway Park being torn down.

It's not really artistic. It's just gaudy and tacky.

 

I don't doubt that Samson and Loria believe what they are saying, but I think that they will find that most will disagree with them.

 

I like a lot of 20th and 21st century art. However, I've seen the video and I know I don't like this.

 

Couldn't find the video, seems it has been pulled, but I did find the art.

 

For those wondering, those "Marlins" move left to right and there are flashing lights on it. I'm not joking. This comes up out of the ground or a pool in left center I believe whenever a HR is hit.

Personally, I'd prefer an enormous Billy the Marlin head to come out of a pool and spin 360 like the exorcist. Maybe with red flashing eyes and

playing the entire time.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.