Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Baker to DL, Petersen Recalled

Featured Replies

http://joefrisaro.mlblogs.com/archives/2010/05/baker_on_dl_petersen_recalled.html

 

 

Baker on DL, Petersen recalled

The Marlins on Saturday placed catcher John Baker on the 15-day disabled list, retro to May 13, with a right flexor muscle strain.

 

Outfielder Bryan Petersen was recalled from Triple-A New Orleans.

 

The Marlins added catching depth on Thursday when Brett Hayes was recalled from Triple-A.

 

In Spring Training, Baker was bothered by a right forearm muscle strain, and he missed considerable time.

 

Ronny Paulino has been playing mroe of late behind the plate. Paulino initially was platooning with Baker.

 

Outfielder John Raynor, who was returned to the Marlins after being a Rule 5 claim with the Pirates, is now playing for Triple-A New Orleans. Raynor had been seeing some action in extended spring in Jupiter.

 

-- Joe Frisaro

  • Author

Considering Baker's severe lack of power, it doesn't shock me to hear that he was banged up. At least, I hope that the injury was the cause.

 

I am quite comfortable with Paulino being the everyday starter. What a great pickup he was in that trade, and we gave up very little. Props to the FO for that one.

I hope Baker recovers soon, but I'm not too worried about this. I've been hoping that Paulino get more ABs for awhile now. I'm a huge fan of his.

 

I hope the Marlins make him the everyday catcher and just use Hayes on rest days.

 

EDIT: Looks like his RHP splits are worse than I remembered, but I still think he can be used everyday.

I hope Baker recovers soon, but I'm not too worried about this. I've been hoping that Paulino get more ABs for awhile now. I'm a huge fan of his.

 

I hope the Marlins make him the everyday catcher and just use Hayes on rest days.

 

EDIT: Looks like his RHP splits are worse than I remembered, but I still think he can be used everyday.

 

 

With his LHP splits being so awesome, there is a balance point or he would be an all-star. Still, its obvious that Paulino can really hit, and I think he could do much better against righties than he has done so far. Maybe never an all-star, but we could and have done a lot worse than Paulino at catcher.

I think Paulino will do better against righties as he gets a chance to hit more often against them.

 

I like Paulino's bat better than Baker's (though I think Baker is a good hitter), but The Caveman is not used to playing full time. That worries me.

I think Paulino will do better against righties as he gets a chance to hit more often against them.

 

He has 901 career ABs against them. He's hot right now, sure, but I think its unrealistic to think he's going to magically start mashing RHP.

I think Paulino will do better against righties as he gets a chance to hit more often against them.

 

He has 901 career ABs against them. He's hot right now, sure, but I think its unrealistic to think he's going to magically start mashing RHP.

 

Yes, but those at bats have come sporadically.

 

Also, I said "better", not "mash". If he kills lefties and does okay against righties (.230ish), that will be good enough in my book.

Yes, but those at bats have come sporadically.

 

Not really. He started in 2006 and 2007 and was hurt after 40 games as the starter in 2008 before coming here so he's spent as much, if not more time as a full time starter that he has as a backup.

http://joefrisaro.ml...n_recalled.html

 

 

Baker on DL, Petersen recalled

The Marlins on Saturday placed catcher John Baker on the 15-day disabled list, retro to May 13, with a right flexor muscle strain.

 

Outfielder Bryan Petersen was recalled from Triple-A New Orleans.

 

The Marlins added catching depth on Thursday when Brett Hayes was recalled from Triple-A.

 

In Spring Training, Baker was bothered by a right forearm muscle strain, and he missed considerable time.

 

Ronny Paulino has been playing mroe of late behind the plate. Paulino initially was platooning with Baker.

 

Outfielder John Raynor, who was returned to the Marlins after being a Rule 5 claim with the Pirates, is now playing for Triple-A New Orleans. Raynor had been seeing some action in extended spring in Jupiter.

 

-- Joe Frisaro

 

 

 

 

who cares about baker. he hasnt done anything. i dont mind seeing what brett hayes can do

We'll remember this day as the day that the Brett Hayes era really began.

 

 

 

i hope your right

 

 

He was being sarcastic.

http://joefrisaro.ml...n_recalled.html

 

 

Baker on DL, Petersen recalled

The Marlins on Saturday placed catcher John Baker on the 15-day disabled list, retro to May 13, with a right flexor muscle strain.

 

Outfielder Bryan Petersen was recalled from Triple-A New Orleans.

 

The Marlins added catching depth on Thursday when Brett Hayes was recalled from Triple-A.

 

In Spring Training, Baker was bothered by a right forearm muscle strain, and he missed considerable time.

 

Ronny Paulino has been playing mroe of late behind the plate. Paulino initially was platooning with Baker.

 

Outfielder John Raynor, who was returned to the Marlins after being a Rule 5 claim with the Pirates, is now playing for Triple-A New Orleans. Raynor had been seeing some action in extended spring in Jupiter.

 

-- Joe Frisaro

 

 

 

 

who cares about baker. he hasnt done anything. i dont mind seeing what brett hayes can do

 

You pretty much saw it Saturday night. He's one of the better defensive catchers in the org (except pretty much an average arm), but dosen't bring much of a bat with him.

http://joefrisaro.ml...n_recalled.html

 

 

Baker on DL, Petersen recalled

The Marlins on Saturday placed catcher John Baker on the 15-day disabled list, retro to May 13, with a right flexor muscle strain.

 

Outfielder Bryan Petersen was recalled from Triple-A New Orleans.

 

The Marlins added catching depth on Thursday when Brett Hayes was recalled from Triple-A.

 

In Spring Training, Baker was bothered by a right forearm muscle strain, and he missed considerable time.

 

Ronny Paulino has been playing mroe of late behind the plate. Paulino initially was platooning with Baker.

 

Outfielder John Raynor, who was returned to the Marlins after being a Rule 5 claim with the Pirates, is now playing for Triple-A New Orleans. Raynor had been seeing some action in extended spring in Jupiter.

 

-- Joe Frisaro

 

 

 

 

who cares about baker. he hasnt done anything. i dont mind seeing what brett hayes can do

 

You pretty much saw it Saturday night. He's one of the better defensive catchers in the org (except pretty much an average arm), but dosen't bring much of a bat with him.

Below average, actually. And he isn't good at fielding bunts. I wouldn't be surprised if he got Willinghamed later in his career.

You only "Willingham" someone if you need their bat in the lineup and their glove isn't good enough to play. That is not Brett Hayes.

You only "Willingham" someone if you need their bat in the lineup and their glove isn't good enough to play. That is not Brett Hayes.

 

 

 

This.

You only "Willingham" someone if you need their bat in the lineup and their glove isn't good enough to play. That is not Brett Hayes.

 

Misread by me. I thought BroncoBob was referring to Baker.

You only "Willingham" someone if you need their bat in the lineup and their glove isn't good enough to play. That is not Brett Hayes.

 

Misread by me. I thought BroncoBob was referring to Baker.

 

I thought so too.

 

Either way Hayes is a stop gate right now, nothing more, nothing less.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.