December 8, 201015 yr In the past the Marlins have had success with non-roster invitees emerging as key contributors. The list includes Jorge Cantu, Clay Hensley and Kiko Calero. Perhaps they will strike big with some players in 2011. On Tuesday, the Marlins annouced the signings of seven six-year free agents, who will be at Spring Training as non-roster invitees. Signed are left-handers Darin Downs and Victor Garate. Right-hander Frank Mata also will be in camp. Ruben Gotay, a switch-hitting infielder, is among the group who has big league experience. Tim Torres (infielder), outfielder-first baseman Josh Kroeger and outfielder Chris Lubanski also have signed. Lubanski will be a candidate for a left-handed bat off the bench. -- Joe Frisaro http://joefrisaro.mlblogs.com/archives/2010/12/non-roster_invitees_announced.html
December 8, 201015 yr .....because any of you knew Kiko Calero or Clay Hensley by name Kiko was decent in St.Louis
December 8, 201015 yr .....because any of you knew Kiko Calero or Clay Hensley by name Well I think the difference between those guys and this year's guys, is that Hensley, Calero, and Cantu all had ML success at some point in their careers....looking at the ST invites this year and their career numbers (or lack thereof) it's very uninspiring.
December 8, 201015 yr .....because any of you knew Kiko Calero or Clay Hensley by name Both of them were actually pretty recognizable names. The only guy I've really heard of in this list is Gotay.
December 8, 201015 yr .....because any of you knew Kiko Calero or Clay Hensley by name Well I think the difference between those guys and this year's guys, is that Hensley, Calero, and Cantu all had ML success at some point in their careers....looking at the ST invites this year and their career numbers (or lack thereof) it's very uninspiring. Probably because the roster this season is mostly set. It's easier to get guys with ML experience to sign as a non-roster invitee if they think they have a realistic shot to actually make the team.
December 8, 201015 yr I am totally rooting for Downs I really hope he can make it He was almost killed on the mound over a year ago, before he was a pretty hot prospect http://www.tampabay....s-steep/1037196 For Tampa Bay Rays prospect Darin Downs, climb back to the mound is steep By John Romano, Times Sports Columnist In Print: Friday, September 18, 2009 Rays prospect Darin Downs was struck in the head by a ball last month. Fiancee Christy DeFelice worried he would die.[ATOYIA .
December 8, 201015 yr I guess besides Gotay the most recognizable name is Lubansky He was the 5th overall draftpick by the Royals in 2003
December 8, 201015 yr .....because any of you knew Kiko Calero or Clay Hensley by name I knew Clay Hensley quite well from his days in San Diego, when he had some successful stretches.
December 8, 201015 yr I guess besides Gotay the most recognizable name is Lubansky He was the 5th overall draftpick by the Royals in 2003 And had a pretty good year in AAA last year.
December 8, 201015 yr Yes, I fail. Kiko did have a nice season, and Clay had success before his injury. Everyone who responded to me is absolutely right. Only Gotay has big league experience, and probably less than Cantu/Hensley/Kiko.
December 8, 201015 yr I like Garate's #'s...for what it's worth. I'm not expecting any of these guys to make the team on Opening Day, assuming the team stays healthy.
December 8, 201015 yr Lubanski, former HS All American and 1st round pick, is a nice AAA player. He can play a Hector Luna role for us this season. Darin Downs could see time in the majors as well as a lefty. I hope the Marlins give Steve Cishek a chance this season. He's done well at every level and should make a solid MLB RP.
December 8, 201015 yr Author Lubanski, former HS All American and 1st round pick, is a nice AAA player. He can play a Hector Luna role for us this season. Darin Downs could see time in the majors as well as a lefty. I hope the Marlins give Steve Cishek a chance this season. He's done well at every level and should make a solid MLB RP. What, hit well in AAA and fail in the majors?
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.