5/3 Post Game

I really don't see Webb being an above average mainstay in the bullpen. His minor league numbers + what I've seen from him this season scream Meh. Guys with a 10.51 h/9 in the minors don't end up being closers, high GB% or not.

He's not a closer.

Also, he changed his delivery in SD supposedly, and that had a lot to do with his success post-minors; he's a different pitcher now than he was then.

Not to mention the fact that looking at his minor league career is irrelevant, considering he started 97 games in the minors; starting is clearly more difficult than coming out of the pen for an inning or two.

He's definitely a big league reliever. As a matter of fact, he didn't really do anything wrong tonight.

I disagree Erick. There's been many on here saying he could be a future closer, I think you included. It is absolutely not irrelevant to look at minor league numbers for a guy with less than 80 IP in the major leagues.

The guys been very hittable as a starter in the minor leagues, I just don't see him converted to a reliever and being an above average pen guy in the bigs. I'm predicting we'll be calling for his head by 2012 at the latest.

Edit: Didn't realize he had 25 innings in 09. So that puts him a bit over 80 innings...

I really don't see Webb being an above average mainstay in the bullpen. His minor league numbers + what I've seen from him this season scream Meh. Guys with a 10.51 h/9 in the minors don't end up being closers, high GB% or not.

He's not a closer.

Also, he changed his delivery in SD supposedly, and that had a lot to do with his success post-minors; he's a different pitcher now than he was then.

Not to mention the fact that looking at his minor league career is irrelevant, considering he started 97 games in the minors; starting is clearly more difficult than coming out of the pen for an inning or two.

He's definitely a big league reliever. As a matter of fact, he didn't really do anything wrong tonight.

I disagree Erick. There's been many on here saying he could be a future closer, I think you included. It is absolutely not irrelevant to look at minor league numbers for a guy with less than 80 IP in the major leagues.

The guys been very hittable as a starter in the minor leagues, I just don't see him converted to a reliever and being an above average pen guy in the bigs. I'm predicting we'll be calling for his head by 2012 at the latest.

Edit: Didn't realize he had 25 innings in 09. So that puts him a bit over 80 innings...

Joe Nathan had some pretty bad minor league numbers as well and has been a good closer...

very bad start by anibal and a terrible pitch by hensley.

really pissed that gaby swung at the first pitch there. he should have tried to work him.

i dont know what it is but the losses this year seem to be extra damn annoying.

really frustrating loss. what i also find very frustrating is how it looks like stanton just doesn't adjust to the outside slider. he just swings from wherever he is standing and hopes to hit it.

you never see him reach out and try to slap balls away like gaby or coghlan.

Yeah.... Wasn't he 4-4 prior to that? Damn shame.

He's not a closer.

Joe Nathan had some pretty bad minor league numbers as well and has been a good closer...

I'll completely eat crow if Webb ends up being the next joe Nathan. I bet its happened before, I just doubt it will in Webb's case.

He's not a closer.

A closer has to have some sort of swing-and-miss stuff; I never said Webb should close. As far as I'm concerned, our future closer looks a lot more like Mike Dunn. Or Jhan Marinez/Jose Ceda depending on how they develop.

Webb is much more a guy for the middle innings. A groundball guy, much like Peter Moylan has been for the Braves for years now.

And, again, you can't look at a reliever's #'s from way back when he was struggling AS A STARTER. As a starter, a lineup gets to see your stuff multiple times, and his only consistent + pitch is really that sinker.

As a starter, you can't survive on two pitches (with the 2nd one not even being all that great); as a reliever, you can.

And again, he changed his delivery. Look at the last stint he had in the minors; from what I've read, that was about the same time that he made his delivery change, and he dominated in those 20 minor league innings.

There's a reason why he got to pitch for the best bullpen in baseball last year.

He's not a closer.

I'll completely eat crow if Webb ends up being the next joe Nathan. I bet its happened before, I just doubt it will in Webb's case.

Probably not likely, but that would be sweet.

He's not a closer.

A closer has to have some sort of swing-and-miss stuff; I never said Webb should close. As far as I'm concerned, our future closer looks a lot more like Mike Dunn. Or Jhan Marinez/Jose Ceda depending on how they develop.

Webb is much more a guy for the middle innings. A groundball guy, much like Peter Moylan has been for the Braves for years now.

And, again, you can't look at a reliever's #'s from way back when he was struggling AS A STARTER. As a starter, a lineup gets to see your stuff multiple times, and his only consistent + pitch is really that sinker.

As a starter, you can't survive on two pitches (with the 2nd one not even being all that great); as a reliever, you can.

And again, he changed his delivery. Look at the last stint he had in the minors; from what I've read, that was about the same time that he made his delivery change, and he dominated in those 20 minor league innings.

There's a reason why he got to pitch for the best bullpen in baseball last year.

I see where your coming from Erick. You make a good point about a pitcher needing more pitches to be a starter, but I think his major league numbers as a reliever basically reflect what he did for long periods in the minors as a starter. H/9 over 9, poor strikeout rates with meh control.

I'm well aware of the principle of sample size but from what I've seen this year is a guy with damn good stuff who has trouble locating resulting in a lot of hits. At-least he has kept the ball in the ballpark the last couple years up here, huge stadium or not.

EDIT

He's not a closer.

I see where your coming from Erick. You make a good point about a pitcher needing more pitches to be a starter, but I think his major league numbers basically reflect what he did for long periods in the minors. H/9 over 9, poor strikeout rates with meh control.

I'm well aware of the principle of sample size but from what I've seen this year is a guy with damn good stuff who has trouble locating resulting in a lot of hits. At-least he has kept the ball in the ballpark the last couple years up here, huge stadium or not.

He's going to give up hits and have a subpar WHIP because he doesn't have strikeout stuff. You can't pitch to contact all the time and expect a nice H/9 #.

With that said, as long as he has good control and most of the hits are singles, he'll be fine. The GB thing is important because he can allow baserunners and erase everything with one pitch. Keeping the ball in the ballpark (in large part because of the GB%) is also great, and the reason why he's in the big leagues.

I don't really think he has the potential for greatness, but he's a quality big league reliever.

He's going to give up hits and have a subpar WHIP because he doesn't have strikeout stuff. You can't pitch to contact all the time and expect a nice H/9 #.

With that said, as long as he has good control and most of the hits are singles, he'll be fine. The GB thing is important because he can allow baserunners and erase everything with one pitch. Keeping the ball in the ballpark (in large part because of the GB%) is also great, and the reason why he's in the big leagues.

I don't really think he has the potential for greatness, but he's a quality big league reliever.

I agree with everything you say here. I don't think he is going to be something special, nor do I think he'll be a mop up guy. There was plenty of seasons this past decade I wouldn't mind Webb in the pen. But with some nice depth and guys like Ceda, and Marinez waiting, and some quality arms in the majors (assuming Hensley get's back to 10' form) I could see him pushed out of the bullpen.

I think a poor mans Moylan is a good comparison, but the idea that this guy is going to become a dominate closer like some expressed shortly after the trade is a little too ambitious, that's all.

Pretty sure everyone wants Dunn to be our future closer, not Webb.

The only thing about Dunn is I like to be able to use him in situation where there are quality lefty's coming up. If that happened to be the 7th, 8th or 9th, it'll never happen because that's not how baseball's being played.

looks like stanton just doesn't adjust to the outside slider. he just swings from wherever he is standing and hopes to hit it.

Lots of young players have problems with sliders early in their careers. Ask Miguel Cabrera

looks like stanton just doesn't adjust to the outside slider. he just swings from wherever he is standing and hopes to hit it.

Lots of young players have problems with sliders early in their careers. Ask Miguel Cabrera

yes thats true but he seems to make no adjustment at all. its like he has the same swing on every pitch.

This just popped in my head..."three strike mike". Maybe a little better.

Remember some of the most valuable hitters in baseball K a ton; I might not be fair to stick him with K nicknames.

The point about KKKabera was that he was a baby and that there's still a lot of time to learn, and is probably going to end up in the fame. Most 21 year old's are figuring out the breaking ball in the minor leagues, while Mike has to do it in the big leagues and is still holding his own for the most part since his call-up.

This just popped in my head..."three strike mike". Maybe a little better.

Remember some of the most valuable hitters in baseball K a ton; I might not be fair to stick him with K nicknames.

The point about KKKabera was that he was a baby and that there's still a lot of time to learn, and is probably going to end up in the fame. Most 21 year old's are figuring out the breaking ball in the minor leagues, while Mike has to do it in the big leagues and is still holding his own for the most part since his call-up.

I think it has to do with the fact that Cabrera is a member of the KKK. You're completely misunderstanding the name.