Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What team did you root for before the Marlins

Featured Replies

I rooted for the Cubs, but I was eight when the Marlins came to be so their first year was also the first that I really started paying attention on my own. I a curiosity about this team, and I remember my dad coming home with a program for a game he had seen them play against the Cubs on a work trip. I don't remember when exactly I started watching, but guys like Chuck Carr, Charlie Hough, and Jeff Conine, as well as those teal jerseys, had me hooked. I grew up with this team, and there is nothing in any sport that can replace that.

Didn't get into baseball until 1981 when I moved from NJ to PA.

 

1981 - 1992 = Phillies (The team during the mid to late 80's was pathetic outside of Mike Schmidt and the farm system was a piece of crap)

On the side, I rooted for the A's from 1986 - 1992 - was a fan of the whole Bash Brothers thing

Waited and waited for expansion. During the late 80's I said if baseball and football expand I will pick a new team and follow them from Day 1 and be there for everything that happens. Picked Marlins because I hated the name Rockies and I picked Jaguars for NFL. I really wanted to be a Carolina panthers fan but I graduated high school with Kerry Collins and was never a fan of his. When Panthers drafted him, i immediately became a Jax fan.

1993 - Present = Marlins (I was already wearing the home jersey to college classes right before Spring Training '93 and some people were asking me who are The Marlins..lol)

I wasn't actually much of a sports fan when I was a kid. Then I found this small box that belonged to one of my stepbrothers who moved away some time earlier on that contained some old baseball cards. For some reason that's what got me interested in baseball. I never had a favorite team however. My best friend at the time had Mets pennants on his walls. But I think because my family came from NY and due to the big names from the Yankees like Mickey Mantle, Babe Ruth, Joe Dimaggio, ect, I guess they were the only team I really liked. My dad, when I was about 10, took me to see the Yankees and the Twins play at a Spring Training game at the, then, Joe Robbie Stadium in 1992.

 

I remember around 1992 seeing Marlins shirts and stuff and I was like "why do I keep seeing these shirts everywhere I look?" I didn't know about the Marlins then..I was an ignorant kid though lol and didn't follow baseball closely. Then in 1993 it all made sense when the Marlins debuted.

  • Author

You'd kinda be surprised how many people on these boards have only rooted for the Marlins or are just younger than you think.

 

That said, I'm not one of them.... I wasn't much of a sports fan before the Marlins but I was born in New York to a Yankee family so if I was ever asked who my favorite team was, it was the Yankees. Truthfully I knew nothing about them except the way their cap looked just cause I owned one. In '93, when the Fish were born I followed them because it was new, fresh, and was still baseball, my favorite sport by far. But I wasn't a diehard fan yet.

 

Following the '93 season, I watched the World Series, my first one as a fan.... and folks, Joe Carter hooked me big time. I became a HUGE Blue Jays fan cause I fell in love with that moment that Carter had. It rarely gets bigger than that when you're a kid dreaming big. So my teams were the Marlins and Blue Jays (with a beat up old Yankees cap on the side). I still follow the Jays but being in Miami and growing up with the Marlins has made them my number 1 team now for sure.

 

 

That was the first World series I ever watched, when Joe carter hit the Game winning blast, but I think I watched the Braves lose the world series in 92? remember when ottis nixon made the last out running to first, what year was that?

I was about 3 when the Marlins debuted so Ive always rooted for them. However I remember also rooting really hard for the Mariners of the early to mid 90's. Arod, Jr, Johnson, Martinez, Buhner, Cora. Looking back they really underachieved.

Angels briefly, I mean briefly in 98..and I have no idea why...

 

Marlins 99-01.

 

Expos from like 02-til their end

 

Marlins again and for ever and ever since 08. Granted I remember soemthing about Ross 10-10 at bats with a homer and 20 games won in a row.

I was 1 year old when the Marlins were born.

 

So that means.. I was clearly an Angels fan.

 

 

Clearly

I was 1 year old when the Marlins were born.

 

So that means.. I was clearly an Angels fan.

 

 

Clearly

 

I defend my right to post-consciously select a favorite team.

I was 3 when the Marlins debuted so I've been a fan of theirs for my entire life. They have always been such an exciting team and I've never decided to switch my loyalties!

I was 1 year old when the Marlins were born.

 

So that means.. I was clearly an Angels fan.

 

 

Clearly

 

I defend my right to post-consciously select a favorite team.

 

It's in the Constitution.

 

Trust me, I'm a lawyer.

  • Author

As long as the Marlins are around, ill be a fan of them, I wonder what players we will have when were all like 80 years old??

 

lol dont you know about 2012????

 

oh yeah...forgot :violin

 

:w00t

As long as the Marlins are around, ill be a fan of them, I wonder what players we will have when were all like 80 years old??

 

 

Stanton will still be mashing in 60 years time

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.