There Goes Gammons Again...

There goes Peter Gammons talking trash and lies about the Marlins. Josh Beckett wass watching baseball tonight yesterday and Gammons said Beckett Blamed someone for Pudgecatching for him. All this guy says is lies!

C/O:sun-Senital

Beckett: Gammons off base

By Juan C. Rodriguez

Staff Writer

Posted April 17 2003

PHILADELPHIA ? Right-hander Josh Beckett was stunned.

While watching ESPN's Baseball Tonight on Wednesday morning, he heard Peter Gammons accuse him of blaming a bad start on Pudge Rodriguez. As part of his insider segment, Gammons said Beckett criticized his catcher for calling too many breaking pitching during an Opening Day loss against the Phillies.

Gammons then linked that episode to growing front-office sentiment to replace pitching coach Brad Arnsberg.

"If [Gammons]was here right now I would go off on him," Beckett said before Wednesday's game against the Phillies. "I would never say that. I don't look for excuses. It's not [Rodriguez's] fault that I suck. I would never blame it on anybody."

After lasting 22/3 innings in the opener and taking the loss, Beckett said he threw too many breaking balls instead of relying on his above-average fastball. The emotional Beckett, who at 22 made his first Opening Day start, wanted to guard against overthrowing. One way to do that was to employ more curves and change-ups than he normally would.

Beckett also made it clear the pitcher has the final word on what to throw and accepted full responsibility for giving up seven runs (two earned) on five hits and walking four batters.

Wednesday, Beckett added that Rodriguez is a joy to throw to and his reputation for not working well with pitchers is unfounded.

"I haven't seen one bit of what I heard," Beckett said. "In spring training he helped me keep the ball down, and I pitched. I wasn't even throwing. That never gets out. That's all anybody wants is controversy."

Some of the people who write for ESPN do not have a clue. Also, most of the people who write for the sports section of the herald are complete idiots: take the case of Dan LeBatard (aka LeRetard) :-)

Yea LeRetard and Gammons are on the same page, they just love to make fun of the Marlins and talk trash. They need to stop talking about the marlins because they dont have a clue what kind of team we are...

Some of the people who write for ESPN do not have a clue. Also, most of the people who write for the sports section of the herald are complete idiots: take the case of Dan LeBatard (aka LeRetard) :-)

Yea LeRetard and Gammons are on the same page, they just love to make fun of the Marlins and talk trash. They need to stop talking about the marlins because they dont have a clue what kind of team we are... If Gammons is such an Idiot and doesn't know anything, then why in The Hell is he with ESPN? Why not you?

Just because you don't like their opinion's doesn't mean they don't know anything. It means you don't agree. That's it, nothing more.

If Gammons is such an Idiot and doesn't know anything, then why in The Hell is he with ESPN? Why not you?

Just because you don't like their opinion's doesn't mean they don't know anything. It means you don't agree. That's it, nothing more.

If he talked trash about the Phillies would you not be pissed? :rolleyes:

If Gammons is such an Idiot and doesn't know anything, then why in The Hell is he with ESPN? Why not you?

If he talked trash about the Phillies would you not be pissed? :rolleyes: Don't give me that crap. Ok, have you been alive The Last couple of years. The Phillies were not a good team excluding 2001. Were you in a coma in early april last year? Gammons has done the same and I still alway's looked at Gammons very highly. I don't go around saying off with their heads to every guy on ESPN who rips The Fans.

Please don't give me that.

Don't give me that crap. Ok, have you been alive The Last couple of years. The Phillies were not a good team excluding 2001. Were you in a coma in early april last year? Gammons has done the same and I still alway's looked at Gammons very highly. I don't go around saying off with their heads to every guy on ESPN who rips The Fans.

Gammons' fan.. btw I don't go off saying crap to all ESPN ppl.. I think H-R is great... Kurkjian gives quality reports.. Bobby V of course will always be a clown :rolleyes:

Don't give me that crap. Ok, have you been alive The Last couple of years. The Phillies were not a good team excluding 2001. Were you in a coma in early april last year? Gammons has done the same and I still alway's looked at Gammons very highly. I don't go around saying off with their heads to every guy on ESPN who rips The Fans.

Gammons' fan.. btw I don't go off saying crap to all ESPN ppl.. I think H-R is great... Kurkjian gives quality reports.. Bobby V of course will always be a clown :rolleyes: Yes I do like Gammons because unlike 90% of Columnists he know's what he's talking about. I love everyone on Bt exept Bobby I would personally like to have Tony G get out of his coaching job and join them.

Look, I dont agree with his opinions but thats not the point. He has to stop talking bad about the Marlins. What DT said was true you sould of been mad if he talked about the Phils. He has to keep on going and talk baseball not trash like he is doing. You dont see other writers talking about us. They say the truth which gammons isnt doing...

Gammons is all BoSox all the time..... he hates the little teams and wont respect you till you spend money....

Gammons talks more s*** about more teams than anyone in the business.... he makes up lavish trades that he heard about too...

He is pure DUMBASS

I think he critiziced millar a couple of times while he was here. as soon as boston picked him up he was a great pick up. Also, I hate how they say baseball in Miami has been a failure, I still do not see where it failed. Up until '97 this thing had very respectable attendance, despite it was a losing team. In '97 the attendance was exceptially good, many teams wish they had an attendance like that, yet Gammos always says that this town does not support baseball, which is completely untrue. The attendance so far this year has been respectable, it deffinitely could be better, but hasn't been as bad as last year. I think people are slowly beginning to belive in this ownership and I can assure you if 2 months into the season we are playing over .500 baseball the fans will be there ;)

Everyone is saying that what Gammons has said is SO horrible. Well...

Where was this thread when he originally made The Comments because I didn't see it. Not until Beckett made the comment did it get any attention. So is it really that big of a deal?

I don't take much of anything these guys say seriously. I'll think what I want to think. They are just people and they just have opinions.

:shifty

Interesting point...Are the things that Gammons says opinions or a misrepresentation of facts? I believe when he makes a point he is stating what he perceives to be fact. It's a bit different than having an opinion. We all have opinions and enjoy staing them here on this board and some of us (Das) have opinions which are stated as fact ("The Floyd trade is crap, Torborg sucks, etc). It's important to differentiate between fact and opinion - that is where Gammons and other can sometimes cross the line - IMHO.

;)

I agree with the last post: we need to differentiate between facts and opinions. The only problem with some sport journalists nowadays is that they themselves do not understand that difference. In the case of LeRetard, he does not only trash the Fish in every single article, but he doesn't back his comments with any facts. Instead of saying "this is my opinion," he lets you think that what he is saying is the only truth, so help me God. Besides that, I can point out some instances where he didn't do the necessary research before writing an article, therefore providing an altered perception of reality to the reader and creating a lie. He doesn't even point out some of the good things about the team, but even takes those good things and finds some hidden final frustration behind them. I simply don't like the guy.

As for Gammon, he talks too much and bases his opinion on too many rumors. I like some of the reporters at ESPN, but Gammons is not my favorite. Very far from it.

And this is simply my opinion. If you want facts on LeRetard, simply ask: I have plenty :confused

I agree with the last 2 posts... yesterday Karl asked Gammons: "What do you think of the Florida Marlins?" (10pm BT)

Gammons response: "Well, they remind me of the Seattle Mariners... It all depends on their young pitching rotation."

His response had more stuff in it but I don't remember...

I agree with the last 2 posts... yesterday Karl asked Gammons: "What do you think of the Florida Marlins?" (10pm BT)

Gammons response: "Well, they remind me of the Seattle Mariners... It all depends on their young pitching rotation."

His response had more stuff in it but I don't remember...

Im suprised he said something good about us! I hope what he says is true....but our pitching hasnt done too good except for Penny.