January 16, 201214 yr It doesn't skew my opinion of him, it's more I'd wish they wouldn't call him "great," or even "good" just yet. I mean like Qbad saying earlier in this thread that he'd taking any quarterback in the NFL currently over Tebow, and Dr. Beinfest consistently calling him a terrible quarterback because he doesn't like the media saying God helps Tebow win. That's what I'm talking about with the "skewed" opinions. He is terrible.
January 16, 201214 yr TEBOW is total garbage....no skills as a QB.....like snooki total undue publicity....sets quarterbacking back 40 yrs,,,,but. like hermeida, he HAS TREMENDOUS UPSIDE....right guys?
January 16, 201214 yr It doesn't skew my opinion of him, it's more I'd wish they wouldn't call him "great," or even "good" just yet. I mean like Qbad saying earlier in this thread that he'd taking any quarterback in the NFL currently over Tebow, and Dr. Beinfest consistently calling him a terrible quarterback because he doesn't like the media saying God helps Tebow win. That's what I'm talking about with the "skewed" opinions. He is terrible. He really isn't, but ok.
January 16, 201214 yr It doesn't skew my opinion of him, it's more I'd wish they wouldn't call him "great," or even "good" just yet. I mean like Qbad saying earlier in this thread that he'd taking any quarterback in the NFL currently over Tebow, and Dr. Beinfest consistently calling him a terrible quarterback because he doesn't like the media saying God helps Tebow win. That's what I'm talking about with the "skewed" opinions. He is terrible. He really isn't, but ok. Everyone knows you're a Gators fan. He's not a good QB. Let me guess you're one of the "he just wins games" guys? There's nothing special about him. He's running a gimmick that wasn't even effective and will look embarrasingly bad on a more consistent basis in the upcoming years. Unless he improves as a pocket passer (which he's like the worst at), he won't last in the NFL.
January 16, 201214 yr Author Even as a scramble QB and not a pocket passer he still sucks. He physically can't throw the ball. The only thing he's got working for him is his ability to be fully committed to a designed passing play with the ability to completely turn the play into a running play in a series of pivots. He still is no QB.
January 16, 201214 yr He's gotten all of this attention for "winning games" when he's realistically just gone 9-7 in his 16 starts in the NFL. Amazing! First time ever! Ohmygosh! Tebowing! He's religious, he's amazing! Dim, aren't you one of the guys who constantly says that Mark Sanchez is overrated?
January 16, 201214 yr As a passer, Tim Tebow has been nothing short of terrible so far. I don't think there's a question he's been the worst passer in the NFL this season. As an overall QB, he's still been pretty bad, but his production on the ground makes up some of the ground. FootballOutsiders (Kind of a baseballprospectus for the NFL) has him ranked 37th by DVOA, or Defense-adjusted Value Over Average and 39th by DYAR, or Defense-adjusted Yards Above Replacement. "The simple version: DYAR means a quarterback with more total value. DVOA means a quarterback with more value per play. So he comes out slightly better on a per-play basis, but still doesn't rank very well as a passer, which is all those numbers take into account. They rank him as the fourth best QB when looking at just rushing. Overall, he ranks better than just Matt Cassell, Sam Bradford, Christian Ponder, Blaine Gabbert, Caleb Hanie, John Skelton and Curtis Painter. Not good company to keep. Even if you take out the "OMG HATERZZZZ" thing and just look at numbers besides "wins", he's not any good. Maybe he'll be better soon, but right now calling him "terrible" is pretty accurate. Essentially the only thing he's done well is not throw interceptions.
January 16, 201214 yr Author Which is because he hardly throws the ball. And when he does, he usually throws it somewhere that nobody can catch it. He's not stupid, that's for sure. If he were, he'd be throwing the ball more often.
January 16, 201214 yr He's gotten all of this attention for "winning games" when he's realistically just gone 9-7 in his 16 starts in the NFL. Amazing! First time ever! Ohmygosh! Tebowing! He's religious, he's amazing! Dim, aren't you one of the guys who constantly says that Mark Sanchez is overrated? Sanchez is overrated, and I'm not one of those guys that says "All Tebow does is win". I'm saying there's irrational hate over the guy even though he's a middle of the pack QB. But because the media covers him a lot, people like you who don't like the coverage use it as motivation to say Tebow is the worst QB in NFL history when he obviously isn't. And I go to UCF, so I have no ties to Florida.
January 16, 201214 yr Even if you take out the "OMG HATERZZZZ" thing and just look at numbers besides "wins", he's not any good. Maybe he'll be better soon, but right now calling him "terrible" is pretty accurate. Essentially the only thing he's done well is not throw interceptions. If you have a really good defense, you win games by not making mistakes. Tebow, in his second year, has done a good job of limiting mistakes. I'll take Tebow over the many, many quarterbacks who don't do the same thing.
January 16, 201214 yr Here you go. Every quarterback who qualified for the passing leader board, sorted by QB rating. Go ahead and highlight who you would take Tim Tebow over for the next 3 years. Aaron Rodgers Drew Brees Tom Brady Tony Romo Matthew Stafford Matt Schaub Eli Manning Matt Ryan Alex Smith Ben Roethlisberger Philip Rivers Matt Moore Jay Cutler Michael Vick Cam Newton Matt Hasselbeck Kevin Kolb Joe Flacco Carson Palmer Andy Dalton Tarvaris Jackson Ryan Fitzpatrick Mark Sanchez Kyle Orton Matt Cassel Josh Freeman Colt McCoy Rex Grossman Sam Bradford Christian Ponder John Skelton Curtis Painter Blaine Gabbert And in all honesty, I'm not even sure on a few of mine. Of current NFL quarterbacks, I'd take 21 of them above him for the next three years. And I'd for sure add Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III and Matt Barkley to that list knowing that none of them has played a down. So yeah. I'm curious to see the rest of your lists.
January 16, 201214 yr He's gotten all of this attention for "winning games" when he's realistically just gone 9-7 in his 16 starts in the NFL. Amazing! First time ever! Ohmygosh! Tebowing! He's religious, he's amazing! Dim, aren't you one of the guys who constantly says that Mark Sanchez is overrated? Sanchez is overrated, and I'm not one of those guys that says "All Tebow does is win". I'm saying there's irrational hate over the guy even though he's a middle of the pack QB. But because the media covers him a lot, people like you who don't like the coverage use it as motivation to say Tebow is the worst QB in NFL history when he obviously isn't. And I go to UCF, so I have no ties to Florida. You keep saying middle of the pack, when in fact, he's 27th in overall QB rating and dead last in completion %. Great argument there by the way, you're saying this guy is good while calling him average.
January 16, 201214 yr Even if you take out the "OMG HATERZZZZ" thing and just look at numbers besides "wins", he's not any good. Maybe he'll be better soon, but right now calling him "terrible" is pretty accurate. Essentially the only thing he's done well is not throw interceptions. If you have a really good defense, you win games by not making mistakes. Tebow, in his second year, has done a good job of limiting mistakes. I'll take Tebow over the many, many quarterbacks who don't do the same thing. As for this. I crunched the numbers. Tebow averaged an interception on 2.2% of his attempts, good for 9th in the league. League average is 2.9%. He averaged a fumble on 9% of his sacks or rushing attempts. League average is 10%. So he was slightly above average in each one, which certainly makes your hypothesis that he limited mistakes stand up. However what does that actually mean? He had 426 plays where he attempted a pass, was sacked, or rushed the ball. He had 20 INTs + Fumbles. The league average would have had 23.3. So he saved an extra 'mistake' per 129 dropbacks, sacks, or rushes. Insignificant? No, certainly not. But is it enough to make up for the fact that he averaged 1.4 net yards per passing attempt (plus sacks) less than the league average? I don't think so. Compared to an average quarterback, he cost his team almost 500 yards of offense in the passing game compared to just the average quarterback. If he wasn't the least effective passer in the league, it's only because there were some dreadful QBs out there this year.
January 16, 201214 yr Here you go. Every quarterback who qualified for the passing leader board, sorted by QB rating. Go ahead and highlight who you would take Tim Tebow over for the next 3 years. Aaron Rodgers Drew Brees Tom Brady Tony Romo Matthew Stafford Matt Schaub Eli Manning Matt Ryan Alex Smith Ben Roethlisberger Philip Rivers Matt Moore Jay Cutler Michael Vick Cam Newton Matt Hasselbeck Kevin Kolb Joe Flacco Carson Palmer Andy Dalton Tarvaris Jackson Ryan Fitzpatrick Mark Sanchez Kyle Orton Matt Cassel Josh Freeman Colt McCoy Rex Grossman Sam Bradford Christian Ponder John Skelton Curtis Painter Blaine Gabbert And in all honesty, I'm not even sure on a few of mine. Of current NFL quarterbacks, I'd take 21 of them above him for the next three years. And I'd for sure add Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III and Matt Barkley to that list knowing that none of them has played a down. So yeah. I'm curious to see the rest of your lists. I sure as hell would take Ponder, Bradford, Hassleback, and Palmer over Tebow.
January 16, 201214 yr My Superbowl pick before the playoffs started was NY vs NE, with NY winning. Hope is still alive. We can do this!
January 16, 201214 yr I sure as hell would take Ponder, Bradford, Hassleback, and Palmer over Tebow. For the next three years I most assuredly would not take Hasselback and Palmer over almost anyone. Bradford has the No. 1 overall pedigree, but he's been injured consistently and hasn't been any better than Tebow when healthy. And Ponder was worse than Tebow this season and has lots of the same question marks surrounding him. Ponder's shown no reason to think he's better than Tebow.
January 16, 201214 yr I sure as hell would take Ponder, Bradford, Hassleback, and Palmer over Tebow. For the next three years I most assuredly would not take Hasselback and Palmer over almost anyone. Bradford has the No. 1 overall pedigree, but he's been injured consistently and hasn't been any better than Tebow when healthy. And Ponder was worse than Tebow this season and has lots of the same question marks surrounding him. Ponder's shown no reason to think he's better than Tebow. Ponder and Bradford have shown enough to take over Tebow, IMO. They can throw the ball. A lot better than Tebow, that's for sure. I would take Palmer, still. However, I did not realize Hassleback was 36.
January 16, 201214 yr Ponder and Bradford can't really throw the ball. At least, not in a successful manner at the NFL level. They've both got lower QB ratings than him and don't have his rushing ability. And Palmer has thrown 39 touchdowns to 36 interceptions over his last two season and isn't getting any better at 32. He's better than Tebow, but he's probably out of the league in two years.
January 16, 201214 yr Ponder and Bradford can't really throw the ball. At least, not in a successful manner at the NFL level. They've both got lower QB ratings than him and don't have his rushing ability. And Palmer has thrown 39 touchdowns to 36 interceptions over his last two season and isn't getting any better at 32. He's better than Tebow, but he's probably out of the league in two years. I really, really doubt he's out of the league in two seasons. As for Ponder and Bradford, I do believe they have shown better passing skills than Tebow. Ponder was just a rookie and Bradford has sh!t for help in St. Louis. I fully expect within the next 3 seasons, as you said, for Ponder and Bradford to surpass Tebow. They have much better potential than Tebow.
January 16, 201214 yr Author Yeah, well... at least Bradford. I can understand passing on old man Hasselbeck and whatnot, but Bradford is decent. I wouldn't comment on Ponder though, because they're both at a stage in their career where you don't know what'll happen next.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.