Pineda traded to the Yankees for Montero

poptart

I think this is a trade which we'll have to wait a few years to see what happens.

Both players are hurt by this I believe. Pineda goes to the AL East, specifically that sandbox in New York, where the ball flies out 100x greater than it does at Safeco. And Montero has to deal with the cavernous field so his power numbers will surely fall a bit.

On a side note, Jayson Stark has a pretty good read on ESPN about this deal. He mentions that only TWO starting pitchers in a Yankee uni have averaged over 9.0 strikeouts per 9 innings pitched. David Cone did it twice and Roger Clemens once, THAT'S IT!!!

WOW. Makes you appreciate the nasty stuff that has come through South Florida in the last decade. Josh Beckett did it twice '02/'03, Ricky Nolasco '09, Josh Johnson '10, Anibal Sanchez '11... And that's just some light research. Burnett came within a couple K's a few years with us (although he actually did it twice in Toronto in '07/'08)... Surprised Penny, Willis, or Pavano didn't even really come close.

On a side note, Jayson Stark has a pretty good read on ESPN about this deal. He mentions that only TWO starting pitchers in a Yankee uni have averaged over 9.0 strikeouts per 9 innings pitched. David Cone did it twice and Roger Clemens once, THAT'S IT!!!

WOW. Makes you appreciate the nasty stuff that has come through South Florida in the last decade. Josh Beckett did it twice '02/'03, Ricky Nolasco '09, Josh Johnson '10, Anibal Sanchez '11... And that's just some light research. Burnett came within a couple K's a few years with us (although he actually did it twice in Toronto in '07/'08)... Surprised Penny, Willis, or Pavano didn't even really come close.

That's pretty hard to believe.

That's pretty hard to believe.

Here you go:

• This guy whiffed 173 hitters in 171 innings last year. And you know how many starters in the history of the Yankees have averaged better than a strikeout an inning over a full season? How about TWO: Roger Clemens in 2002 and David Cone twice (1997 and 1998).

http://espn.go.com/mlb/hotstove11/story/_/id/7460555/just-new-york-yankees-upgrade-their-starting-rotation

And they've also signed Kuroda by all reports.

Their pitching gets a whole lot better but for long-term value I can't believe they got rid of Montero.

They got Michael Pineda.

Pineda will explode in Yankee Stadium. He was a TON better at home in Safeco than on the road.

Their pitching gets a whole lot better but for long-term value I can't believe they got rid of Montero.

They got Michael Pineda.

Pineda will explode in Yankee Stadium. He was a TON better at home in Safeco than on the road.

A 23-year old pitcher putting up a K per inning with strong walk rates is nice.

The same could be said for Montero going from Yankee Stadium to Safeco. Not to mention the fact that it's questionable whether or not Montero will remain a catcher.

If anything, the Yankees didn't give up much. Consider what the Nationals and Reds had to give up to get Gio and Latos, respectively.

It's not easy to get a good, young pitcher.

I don't see the point of this, I would have much rather ship Montero to the Cubs for Garza who is a big game pitcher.

Pineda wont be as successful in Yankee stadium but oh well, it does address the need they had for pitching (Along with Kuroda)

Maybe the Cubs didn't want just Montero for Garza.

Pineda is also under team control for many more years, unlike Garza.

They got Michael Pineda.

The same could be said for Montero going from Yankee Stadium to Safeco. Not to mention the fact that it's questionable whether or not Montero will remain a catcher.

If anything, the Yankees didn't give up much. Consider what the Nationals and Reds had to give up to get Gio and Latos, respectively.

I still believe he's going to give up a lot of runs in Yankee Stadium, regardless of K rates. His ERA outside of Safeco was well over 4.

Plus, he wasn't that great against AL East teams, especially on the road. At Toronto, 5 runs in 6.1 innings. [He also gave up 5 in 5 innings at home in one game against them.] Gave up 7 at Boston in 4.1 innings. I don't see him doing too well in the AL East.

They got Michael Pineda.

I still believe he's going to give up a lot of runs in Yankee Stadium, regardless of K rates. His ERA outside of Safeco was well over 4.

Plus, he wasn't that great against AL East teams, especially on the road. At Toronto, 5 runs in 6.1 innings. [He also gave up 5 in 5 innings at home in one game against them.] Gave up 7 at Boston in 4.1 innings. I don't see him doing too well in the AL East.

He'll be worse, but there's plenty of upside with him.

I don't see the point of this, I would have much rather ship Montero to the Cubs for Garza who is a big game pitcher.

Pineda wont be as successful in Yankee stadium but oh well, it does address the need they had for pitching (Along with Kuroda)

Maybe the Cubs didn't want just Montero for Garza.

Pineda is also under team control for many more years, unlike Garza.

rumor out there was the Yanks didn't want to part with Montero

pineda is already better than garza in my opinion. garza is a middle of the rotation guy while pineda could develop into an ace very quickly. although i do think he's gonna get hit harder in yankee standium

pineda is already better than garza in my opinion. garza is a middle of the rotation guy while pineda could develop into an ace very quickly. although i do think he's gonna get hit harder in yankee standium

let Pineda pitch for a few years and in a couple of important games to make this assumption. Yes he is good no doubt, but I hardly find him to be better than Garza when all he has done was have a good first half of a season with the Seattle mariners.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.