2012 NFL Offseason Thread

Marlins

Looks like the Bucs may be the team that pays Mario Manningham wayyyyy too much for one catch.

I don't think it's because of one catch. He's good.

He's ok, but the offense in NY takes a lot of pressure off of him. There are questions about his hands, his health, and his overall ability to learn the game but I have always maintained he makes big plays. However the Giants system has allowed him to make those big plays, he has played well in a system where he's the 3rd or 4th option in the passing game after the likes of Hakeem Nicks, Victor Cruz, Jake Ballard, Steve Smith, Kevin Boss, etc. To me he's the receiving equivalent of Derrick Ward - Derrick Ward got a lot of his yardage late in the game after Brandon Jacobs had been wearing the defense down all game; Mario Manningham gets a lot of his catches when the defense is forced to double better receivers. That was the case of the catch he made in the Superbowl - the Giants overloaded the right side with Nicks and Cruz, Manningham found himself in single coverage and the safety who should be helping was cheating to the right. Still a great throw, still a great catch but being the third option in the passing game created the opportunity.

SI.com's Peter King confirms the Rams have already received a trade "feeler" for the No. 2 pick from a team "you would never expect."

Let the intrigue begin. Our initial guesses are the Chiefs, Eagles, Broncos, and perhaps the Jets. Chiefs coach Romeo Crennel and GM Scott Pioli were blown away by RGIII over the weekend. Griffin told King he "really enjoyed" his time with Andy Reid, and the Eagles have a pair of second-rounders in addition to Asante Samuel and DeSean Jackson to dangle in front of St. Louis. Regardless, the Browns and Redskins remain the heavy favorites to land RGIII.

Looks like the Bucs may be the team that pays Mario Manningham wayyyyy too much for one catch.

I don't think it's because of one catch. He's good.

He's ok, but the offense in NY takes a lot of pressure off of him. There are questions about his hands, his health, and his overall ability to learn the game but I have always maintained he makes big plays. However the Giants system has allowed him to make those big plays, he has played well in a system where he's the 3rd or 4th option in the passing game after the likes of Hakeem Nicks, Victor Cruz, Jake Ballard, Steve Smith, Kevin Boss, etc. To me he's the receiving equivalent of Derrick Ward - Derrick Ward got a lot of his yardage late in the game after Brandon Jacobs had been wearing the defense down all game; Mario Manningham gets a lot of his catches when the defense is forced to double better receivers. That was the case of the catch he made in the Superbowl - the Giants overloaded the right side with Nicks and Cruz, Manningham found himself in single coverage and the safety who should be helping was cheating to the right. Still a great throw, still a great catch but being the third option in the passing game created the opportunity.

It's not like he's going to Tampa Bay to be the number one option. They have very good receivers in Mike Williams and Arrelious Benn, Kellen Winslow, and then they have Legarrate Blount running the ball. He will still get the opportunitues in Tampa that he had in New York. Plus, on top of that, he's talented.

Also, I'm not so sure he's going to be overpaid. It's pretty clear he's not Marques Colston, who is going to get paid. I think Manningham will sign a pretty reasonable contract.

Do not want but I expect the Dolphins to make a huge run at him.

Yeah. I wouldn't want the best QB to ever play the game of football who has 3 good years left in him either. >_>

Because it's that simple, right?

If Peyton Manning were Peyton Manning, he would not be released. Unfortunately, he is unhealthy. The odds of him returning to form are very low. The odds of him playing bad are high. This would be a very stupid gamble for Miami. The smart decision would be to let another team risk signing Manning while Miami signs Matt Flynn.

Yeah. I wouldn't want the best QB to ever play the game of football who has 3 good years left in him either. >_>

If Peyton Manning were Peyton Manning, he would not be released. Unfortunately, he is unhealthy. The odds of him returning to form are very low. The odds of him playing bad are high. This would be a very stupid gamble for Miami. The smart decision would be to let another team risk signing Manning while Miami signs Matt Flynn.

Matt Flynn is arguably a bigger question mark. Peyton has proven what he can do when he's healthy, Flynn you have no idea if he's actually capable of being a starter. I'll take my chances on the guy who you know can be a hall of famer rather than the guy you're hoping can merely be adequate.

How do you know the odds of him playing bad are high? People seem impressed with his progress, so far.

I'd take an injury risk HOFer who has shown no signs of decline when actually on the field and is willing to be flexible with his contract over someone who is healthy but has had only 1 good game and is looking for alot of $$ to sign.

For years in Miami we have either had a QB but no HB or WR. A HB but no QB or WR. A WR but no QB.

Sign Manning and we finally have all three at once.

I'd take an injury risk HOFer who has shown no signs of decline when actually on the field and is willing to be flexible with his contract over someone who is healthy but has had only 1 good game and is looking for alot of $$ to sign.

For years in Miami we have either had a QB but no HB or WR. A HB but no QB or WR. A WR but no QB.

Sign Manning and we finally have all three at once.

Bush will never get 20 carries a game, and he's always a big health risk, but it would be a solid group.