Pre-reporting workouts in Jupiter

Hollyberry

Guillen gave his first team message today before practice...

At around 11 a.m. Sunday, all eyes in the Marlins’ organization will be on manager Ozzie Guillen. Somewhere on the backfield, he’ll be encircled by players and club executives and deliver his first message. These things tend to be pretty standard, but Guillen promises to keep his players’ interest piqued.

“My expectations are very high,� Guillen said. “I always shoot for the moon and hopefully we get halfway there. I’m going to talk to them about what I expect from them, how we’re going to play the game, how we’re going to respect each other. Stuff off the field, on the field. It’ll be a pretty long one, and they’re going to have a chance to know what we want, what we need.�

Among Guillen’s mandates: “Whenever you have anything to say, don’t go behind my back and say it because I’m not going to go behind yours to say it.�

He added: “It’s going to be a fun speech for them. I don’t think they’ve heard one before like that.�

http://blogs.sun-sen...ay-workout.html

As part of Sunday’s first full squad workout, hitters got to see live pitching. Carlos Zambrano threw to a group that included Jose Reyes, Emilio Bonifacio and Hanley Ramirez. The batters were impressed. Afterward, Ramirez told Zambrano he was finishing his pitches much better than last season.

Click the link below to watch videos of Reyes & Bonifacio taking live BP against Zambrano (seems like Zambrano was struggling a bit to find the strike zone):

http://blogs.sun-sen...f-zambrano.html

Keep it up Marlins, great job.

Thanks.

Some noteworthy news:

Outfielder Chris Coghlan left batting practice early after being hit on the right elbow by a pitch. He said he didn't think it was serious. ... Johnson said he felt great after facing hitters in live batting practice for the first time this year.