Chipper Jones to retire after 2012 season

Old Timer

Not even a question, a top 3B in baseball history who has performed offensively at an advanced age-- without the help of steroids.

Probably.

I meant he hasn't used steroids to prolong his career in the latter stages, like many potential HOFers did. He may have used them in the hayday, but I could care less considering they weren't against the rules. As of next month he will have played consistently well into his age 40 season, something that seems to be very rare without juice.

As for being a first ballot, he deserves a lot of consideration but I wouldn't say its automatic. He's missing the magic numbers (e.g. 3000 hits, 500 HRs) but has spent the majority of his career at a very tough position and will be in eventually go in. I'm really glad I got some good pics of him the other day in what will be his last spring training!

2nd greatest switch hitter of all time, in the discussion for 2nd best 3rd baseman of all time. Should be a 1st ballot HOFer if there is any justice.

For the sake of argument who would be the 1st greatest switch hitter? Also how and why would he be the 2nd best third baseman?

Admin got the switch hitter part right.

And he's basically in the discussion with George Brett, Eddie Matthews and Brooks Robinson for 2nd best 3B. I would say all three are virtually indistinguishable from Jones, as far as career value.

2nd greatest switch hitter of all time, in the discussion for 2nd best 3rd baseman of all time. Should be a 1st ballot HOFer if there is any justice.

For the sake of argument who would be the 1st greatest switch hitter? Also how and why would he be the 2nd best third baseman?

And he's basically in the discussion with George Brett, Eddie Matthews and Brooks Robinson for 2nd best 3B. I would say all three are virtually indistinguishable from Jones, as far as career value.

Wade Boggs has to be on that list too. And not just because he goes down smoooooooooooooooth.

Wade Boggs has to be on that list too. And not just because he goes down smoooooooooooooooth.

At best he's maybe in the top five, he certainly not as good as Schmidt, Brett, Matthews or Robinson, hard to compare him to other HOF 3b's like George Kell, Home Run Baker or Pie Traynor. Boggs also wasn't a great fielder either I know he won a Gold Glove, but I also know the grounds keeper who slowed down the area around third for him when with the Yanks!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.