Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Who is throwing out the 1st pitch ?

Featured Replies

  • Author

Trevon martin incident? What does that have to do with this? Unless you really feel its whites vs blacks. I don't care about the rest of what you said. The whole after Trevino martin thing gets to me.

 

 

Treyvon Martin is from Miami (student at Miami Krop High School) and tensions are still high in Miami over that. It could have been a way of the Marlins reaching out to the Afro-American community is all I am saying.

Is Muhammad Ali not a significant part of African-American history? This has to be one of the stupidest things ever written on this board.

 

What does the Trayvon Martin situation have to do with this? Should've just picked a black guy from the ghetto because, uh, he's black.

Trevon martin incident? What does that have to do with this? Unless you really feel its whites vs blacks. I don't care about the rest of what you said. The whole after Trevino martin thing gets to me.

 

 

Treyvon Martin is from Miami (student at Miami Krop High School) and tensions are still high in Miami over that. It could have been a way of the Marlins reaching out to the Afro-American community is all I am saying.

So let's take a side in an open court case in which a man hasn't been proven guilty. Good idea.

 

I totally agree the ball was dropped by using Ali. Such a depressing sight at what should have been an exciting moment was definitely stupid of Loria. But to think that race did have or should have had anything to do with his decision is just absolutely stupid.

Ah, no. He was a draft-dodger, his conversion to Islam set a very bad example to his fellow blacks, and actually stank highly of cowardice (I remember the entire controversy when it happened) when he suddenly and conveniently did it, starting out as a Shi'a muslim, then a Sunni muslim, then a Salafist muslim. Salafists are on a par with the Wahhabis, that is, they prefer that all Americans and Israelis die like dogs, being infidels and all. That homosexuals should all be killed goes without saying. Beat your wife? Absolutely. Mutilate your daughter's genitals? Routine. Does that surprise some of you who thought this idiot was some sort of icon? He's had his brains bashed and concussed around in his skull enough hundreds of times to turn them into scrambled eggs, and that obviously happened many decades ago. That Loria would drag his pitiful carcass out to "throw" anything was an incredibly bad joke. Ali was always just a plain-old anti-American and he seized on Islam as a good enough excuse for him to justify his stance. He's been too addled to understand much of anything for decades, but he's never, ever disavowed any of his "beliefs." I despise him and everything he stands for. That Loria never figured this out makes me doubt his judgment.

 

I totally respect your right to this opinion, even tho I think you took the explanation too far. Maybe you should read the Bible again and see what Christans say is okay to do to your wife and daughters without ignoring the parts that seem too much like what you are complaining about with other religions. Or think of the millions of lives lost in the name of Christianity, or any other religion for that matter. I understand your basis for the dislike of Ali completely as I also vividly remember those times and events. Being a vet myself and coming from a family of vets from every war ever fought including this one, I REALLY understand the basis of your feelings. I just don't agree. I admire the man for taking a stand and sticking to it, despite knowing he was going to lose everything. His freedom (prison time), his fortune, and his white, holier than thou fan base. I don't agree with his not serving his country,but I respect the way he did it far more than the draft dodgers that left for Canada (or any other means of draft dodging) to avoid serving. Ya know the ones. Those lily white good Christian hypocrits that said it was against their religion to kill others.

 

And yes. I am a white, born, and baptised Christian. I just try to see things from the perspective of others.

I appreciated Ali handing off the first pitch. I was shocked by how bad he looked compared to the last time I saw him

 

 

I have this feeling they asked him last year to do this, and he rapidly declined. The only thing I can picture is they didn't want to say he can't go out for the first pitch to upset a man so revered, loved and adored by us (except ...) and couldn't stomach telling him so.

 

They should have driven in faster, but I'm worried he might not have been fully aware of what was going on.

Ali would have been an awesome idea if it didn't look like he was playing an invisible piano.

 

 

LOL!

I wanted to like it and try to talk myself into liking it But I just can't Maybe if he had some kind of ovation, maybe if the cart moved faster, maybe if the "handoff" was a little more clear The whole thing was a bit confusing & akward with a touch of sad

I think this sums it up. That's why the crowd went silent, it was awkward.....1st he looks so horrible (no one wants this to be our lasting impression of him). His family should have nicely told the Marlins no, that its an honor but that he respectfully declines. He needs to be remembered with some dignity and to have this shell of his greatness rolled out for us to apishly applaud is a bad gimmick for Loria and he needs to be roundly criticized for this boorish display.

His mind is still there. I recently read a past quote from him that he wants to do events like this until the day he dies. Seems to me he is promoting awareness of the disease so $$$ will be donated to find a cure for this very disabling thing.

 

I think it was prolonged with the length of time it took to get to home plate. You can only stand and cheer for so long. But, whatever...

 

My biggest complaint on the whole evening hasn't even been mentioned. At least I haven't heard it. That would be with the city of Miami, and I guess with the Marlins. Why weren't those buildings downtown lit up like Christmas trees on Christmas Eve? Most were dark. You want to promote the City of Miami? Promote it. Advertising that skyline view? Show it in all it's splendor.

I think alot of this has to do with people's inability to respond to someone in that state. It makes people uncomfortable, especially someone that hasn't been around someone with a disease and if your not used to it, a response can be hard to come by. Take away the fact of who he is and his history. Pretend this is a normal guy with Parkinson's. I think it's selfish of us to think that he shouldn't participate in something that normal folks would think a great honor. If I was there I would have stopped clapping for someone with that disease or any disease for that matter. As I said in an earlier post, Lomo supposedly had a conversation with him in the clubhouse. That's the question mark. I think Loria was expecting people to be able to respond with continuous applause. Was it the best choice to ask Ali, probably not but I wouldnt throw the blame at just Loria and the Ali family. I was disappointed with the reaction of the crowd.

 

Pretty good post, IMO. In hindsight, it wasn't the best idea the FO has ever come up with. But Ali and his family achieved exactly what they set out to achieve. If Parkinsons can do this to someone as vibrant, athletic, outspoken, and as well known the world over, what could it do to you or a family member? That's the point they have always been pushing, and succeeding in.

As for another option, Edgar Renteria and Craig Counsell together would have been nice. Didn't Edgar just retire? I know Craig did.

That would have been GREAT, and add Conine who was in both 1997 & 2003, and another guy from 2003 and that's what it should have been. But just as I suspected he would, Loria screwed this once in a lifetime thing up.

BUT........ The FO is doing everything imanginable to cut ties with anything Florida Marlins. Whether we think that is right or wrong is irrelevent to them. It's the path they have chosen.

As for another option, Edgar Renteria and Craig Counsell together would have been nice. Didn't Edgar just retire? I know Craig did.

That would have been GREAT, and add Conine who was in both 1997 & 2003, and another guy from 2003 and that's what it should have been. But just as I suspected he would, Loria screwed this once in a lifetime thing up.

BUT........ The FO is doing everything imanginable to cut ties with anything Florida Marlins. Whether we think that is right or wrong is irrelevent to them. It's the path they have chosen.

 

oh...man, I agree with you, once in a life time experince and we had to bring out a dead guy. Counsel is a fantastic idea....maybe have a double first pitch, have Counsel and Renteria throw it out side by side to two catchers ......sigh.....

As for another option, Edgar Renteria and Craig Counsell together would have been nice. Didn't Edgar just retire? I know Craig did.

That would have been GREAT, and add Conine who was in both 1997 & 2003, and another guy from 2003 and that's what it should have been. But just as I suspected he would, Loria screwed this once in a lifetime thing up.

BUT........ The FO is doing everything imanginable to cut ties with anything Florida Marlins. Whether we think that is right or wrong is irrelevent to them. It's the path they have chosen.

 

oh...man, I agree with you, once in a life time experince and we had to bring out a dead guy. Counsel is a fantastic idea....maybe have a double first pitch, have Counsel and Renteria throw it out side by side to two catchers ......sigh.....

 

Didn't Sunlife have something like a montage throughout the outfield wall? Maybe not, but I remember this because it always reminded me about chicken runs at midnight.

As for another option, Edgar Renteria and Craig Counsell together would have been nice. Didn't Edgar just retire? I know Craig did.

That would have been GREAT, and add Conine who was in both 1997 & 2003, and another guy from 2003 and that's what it should have been. But just as I suspected he would, Loria screwed this once in a lifetime thing up. BUT........ The FO is doing everything imanginable to cut ties with anything Florida Marlins. Whether we think that is right or wrong is irrelevent to them. It's the path they have chosen. oh...man, I agree with you, once in a life time experince and we had to bring out a dead guy. Counsel is a fantastic idea....maybe have a double first pitch, have Counsel and Renteria throw it out side by side to two catchers ......sigh..... Didn't Sunlife have something like a montage throughout the outfield wall? Maybe not, but I remember this because it always reminded me about chicken runs at midnight.

Yeah, they did. But ya are still missing the path of the NEW MARLINS.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.