Jacob Turner

dim

Sounds like tonight is gonna be his last start in the minors. He'll likely be called up to pitch the first game of the doubleheader coming up, and then join the rotation (which could end up being a six man rotation).

Thoughts?

hes been good tonight. bad defense has gotten his pitch count up but so far hes been solid through 5. needs to attack the strike zone when he gets ahead in the count though. needs to find his finishing pitch.

Id be fine now to see him called up for the rest of the year. take out leblanc or ricky.

This is just a general comment, but the Turner/Eovaldi acquisitions show just how little the Marlins seem to give a f*** about advanced #'s.

They acquire young players based on stuff and tools and apparently, they judge players using batting average and RBI's (and I'm guessing ERA for pitchers).

No wonder this team sucks.

This is just a general comment, but the Turner/Eovaldi acquisitions show just how little the Marlins seem to give a f*** about advanced #'s.

They acquire young players based on stuff and tools and apparently, they judge players using batting average and RBI's (and I'm guessing ERA for pitchers).

No wonder this team sucks.

So you don't like Turner???

You could always find a new team to root for..... It would be a relief for all of us.

It's not that I don't like Turner. That was actually a great trade.

My point is that it's foolish to think he's big league ready right now. What's he done in AAA this year to make anyone believe he's ready for the show?

And my point about the FO is that it seems like every move they make ignores peripherals and projected future performance dating back to the days of the Bonifacio trade.

Yes, the Bonifacio trade did work out but we had to endure a year+ of failure before it worked out. I would hate for them to rush Turner only to watch the same thing happen.

Nothing about Turner's performance indicates he's big league ready. He's only 21; why the rush? I'd rather call up Brad Hand again even if he sucked in his one start the last time. At least he's shown significant improvement this year.

The same thing is happening with Eovaldi, by the way. To say that these guys have nothing left to learn in the minor leagues is rather foolish to me.

I get that the front office believes in stuff and both of these arms are power arms, but if they're so ready they should be putting up good #'s and good peripherals in the minors. You're not going to succeed in the major leagues if you're having trouble in the minor leagues.

This front office is making it a habit of getting players with tools and sticking them in the big leagues even if they currently suck and do not belong. It's the reason why we get the pleasure of watching Gorkys Hernandez every day! Not only that, he gets to hit 2nd and occasionally hit leadoff, as well! He's fast! Tools!

Placing significant value on #'s that shouldn't mean as much anymore is only a fact for this front office. The Mujica trade on Showtime made this front office look like a bunch of morons. 1. Admin Beinfest actually seemed hesitant to make the move (why? Mediocre reliever for 3B prospect, it was obvious. Glad someone else in the room was intelligent enough to point it out). 2. The reasoning for making the trade was strictly his minor league batting average.

I agree but id rather have him in the big leagues than AAA.

I think there is a fundamental problem with our developmental staff. When was the last time we developed a legitimate starting pitcher who consistently goes deep into games? How many pitchers have we brought up to the big leagues who are terribly inefficient with their pitches, dont consistently throw strikes, and dont go deep into games.

Brad Hand, Volstad, Sean West, Vandenhurk, Graham Taylor, Ryan Tucker. Scott Olsen never got deep until his final season. To the point, we have been absolutely awful in developing our own pitchers, and that is how you win now a days. Up until this year and i think it still might be going, the rays hadnt started somebody over 30 or who they hadnt drafted in something like 3 years or something crazy like that. WE need to develop our pitchers much better.

I'd actually rather see Hand up here too except that this season is probably doing him a world of good in AAA. didn't show it in his recent start up here unfortunately. But I wonder that about Eovaldi too Guys that aren't getting deep due mainly to walks need to work that out. It's not unreasonable to expect some adjustment time to the bigs but you'd at least like to see a track record of going 7+ in aaa.

And sure Cox has issues, if he didn't they wouldn't have moved him for Edward Mujica.

I agree that Eovaldi, Turner, etc. may not be fully ready to play in the majors based on their struggles in AAA-but I believe that players could "learn the hard way" and force themselves to figure things out in the majors.

Besides for the time "wasted" from not learning in the minors, does major league experience hurt a player? I don't think bringing up Eovaldi, Turner will really hurt. If they were bound to be stars before the move then they'll still becomes stars despite being thrown into the fire before they're fully ready.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.