Official 2012 Postseason Thread

Michael

The is the first time in MLB history that a playoff series has been decided by 1 game.

What about the play-in game that decides the Wild Card?

Well, then again, that doesn't count as "playoffs," it's still regular season ...

In that case, it's fair. Both teams had the same record.

The is the first time in MLB history that a playoff series has been decided by 1 game.

Well, then again, that doesn't count as "playoffs," it's still regular season ...

In that case, it's fair. Both teams had the same record.

Yeah. As Jon Heyman tweeted earlier, last season, Baltimore and Texas would be playing game 163 tonight instead of a play-off game.

Which also meant that if Hamilton had homered twice, Cabrera would have not won the Triple Crown. Amazing, right?

You mean the WC tiebreaker? That's not remotely the same thing.

Those games only occur because there happened to be a gridlock over the course of 162 games. Those 162 games still have meaning. Not the case in the 1-game playoff.

The way I see it, the WC tiebreaker was just a 163 game season (not 162). The 1-game playoff is just 1 game. Fortunately in the AL, both teams had the same regular season record so the 1-game playoff is more or less a tiebreaker in a loose sense.

Those games only occur because there happened to be a gridlock over the course of 162 games. Those 162 games still have meaning. Not the case in the 1-game playoff.

The way I see it, the WC tiebreaker was just a 163 game season (not 162). The 1-game playoff is just 1 game. Fortunately in the AL, both teams had the same regular season record so the 1-game playoff is more or less a tiebreaker in a loose sense.

I mean, I didn't correct myself in that post or anything saying what you said with less detail ...

I mean, I didn't correct myself in that post or anything saying what you said with less detail ...

I'm not even talking about the playoffs vs. non-playoffs distinction, though, so I think you are missing the point. I'm just saying that that the WC tiebreaker is basically the last game of a 163 game series. I don't care if you call it "playoffs" or not.

It just makes no sense to hear players/managers call the season a marathon all year only to have it decided by one game in the end. The Braves won six more games than the Cardinals. It's kinda dumb.

It's a shame they didn't put in like 10 wildcards this year. We would've totally made it!

It just makes no sense to hear players/managers call the season a marathon all year only to have it decided by one game in the end. The Braves won six more games than the Cardinals. It's kinda dumb.

It's a shame they didn't put in like 10 wildcards this year. We would've totally made it!

Get used to it.

I might give up on baseball if the Marlins win 94 games but get eliminated by an 88 win team in one game.

No more dumb than allowing 5-7 games to decide the full season. I don't see how 4 or 6 games makes that much more of a difference over the course of a full season.

This is good news.

All year, we had karma for Loria's actions, not letting Lenny Harris throw the first pitch.

The other Fredi went to the media to bash Loria. Clearly, all of our bad luck is in Atlanta now. 2013 should be a great year.

Look at that, Uggla made the last out. Need more proof?