Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Rule 5 Draft

Featured Replies

  • Author

I mean, if the Rule 5 draft had any cant miss prospects, they wouldn't be in the rule 5 draft. just sayin

 

Some notable Rule 5 picks: Dan Uggla, Josh Hamilton, Johan Santana, Shane Victorino, Joakim Soria and some guy named Roberto Clemente.

 

More of a list here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_5_draft#Notable_Rule_5_draftees

 

Sometimes you don't know what a player can do in the bigs until you give him the chance.

I expected us to try to snag a 3rd baseman here but instead we got a platoon compliment for JP. Silverio slugged .588 against lefties in 2011. Not bad. I wonder what this says about Petersen though?

 

Also, I don't blame the Marlins for taking a flyer on a lefty who can hit triple digits. I just don't have high hopes Lara. His K/9 has declined every year, his WHIP was over 1.6 last year, and has never pitched above A+. But still, he's only 23 so not like he's completely doomed. Hopefully the Marlins pitching coaches can work extensively with Lara during ST because... damn, what a weapon he has the potential to be out of the pen.

Lara throws 97-100 mph Fastball who has control issues but seems to be figuring things out

 

 

What makes you think he's figuring things out? He's already walked 7 in 5.1 innings in winter league (and walked 58 in 112 innings last year)

 

He was a starter in the minor leagues.

The Marlins apparently view him as a situational lefty out of the bullpen.

Yes, but all it costs a team like Miami is the willingness to let them play and see if they work out. And Alfredo Silverio is Right Handed, which will help with Pierre

Lara's #'s were much better against lefties than righties last year. Even though he hasn't pitched in AA, a lefty who can throw 100 out of the pen is an asset. If he sucks, who cares? That roster spot isn't going to get the team to the playoffs anyway.

 

Hopefully he makes the team and we don't lose him. He has upside. Starting, he has to pace himself; out of the bullpen, he can just come out throwing hard from the get-go.

I think Silverio was a good choice. Unless there's something I'm missing, his problem was a car accident. I don't see any regressions or anything

  • Author

I think Silverio was a good choice. Unless there's something I'm missing, his problem was a car accident. I don't see any regressions or anything

 

 

Right, he needed Tommy John and he had concussions along with other injuries. Still recovering but definitely worth a pick.

I also don't think they see him as a platoon guy; he'll be given a shot in CF, at some point.

he's pretty interesting actually. apparently he went to FIU too.

 

 

His last season in AA before the accident was 2011 where he slugged .542 at 24 yrs old).

 

42 doubles, 18 triples, & 16 homers. 18 triples??

 

 

his plate discipline wasn't very good but his K numbers weren't through the roof either.

I mean, if the Rule 5 draft had any cant miss prospects, they wouldn't be in the rule 5 draft. just sayin

 

Some notable Rule 5 picks: Dan Uggla, Josh Hamilton, Johan Santana, Shane Victorino, Joakim Soria and some guy named Roberto Clemente.

 

More of a list here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_5_draft#Notable_Rule_5_draftees

 

Sometimes you don't know what a player can do in the bigs until you give him the chance.

 

Oh I agree, I mean't that we don't know these things until they blossom. Nobody went "oh yes we got Uggla!" after we drafted him. Same for all the others.

I think Silverio was a good choice. Unless there's something I'm missing, his problem was a car accident. I don't see any regressions or anything

 

 

Right, he needed Tommy John and he had concussions along with other injuries. Still recovering but definitely worth a pick.

 

Maybe they can stash him away on the DL, otherwise he and Lara have to stay on the ML roster the entire season.

  • Author

I mean, if the Rule 5 draft had any cant miss prospects, they wouldn't be in the rule 5 draft. just sayin

 

Some notable Rule 5 picks: Dan Uggla, Josh Hamilton, Johan Santana, Shane Victorino, Joakim Soria and some guy named Roberto Clemente.

 

More of a list here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_5_draft#Notable_Rule_5_draftees

 

Sometimes you don't know what a player can do in the bigs until you give him the chance.

 

Oh I agree, I mean't that we don't know these things until they blossom. Nobody went "oh yes we got Uggla!" after we drafted him. Same for all the others.

 

 

 

Well that goes for can't miss prospects as well though. Maybin was supposed to be an All-Star for us.

Silverio seems to be a mix of power and speed, but looks like he needs to work on his baserunning as far as steals go. 6 seasons, only a net of 14 steals [47/33] but at least this stuff can be worked on. I do like the power-looking numbers. A lot of doubles and a nice amount of triples, chances are as he develops, those will translate into perhaps 25 homers at his peak, if not more.

I also don't think they see him as a platoon guy; he'll be given a shot in CF, at some point.

 

Yes, but if he fails initially, he can certainly be used as a RH platoon guy to leave Pierre on the bench some days. Also, the fact that he is RH means that, even if he wins the CF job, he will help with Pierre in a platoon by allowing Ruggiano to take all those left handed pitcher days.

I also don't think they see him as a platoon guy; he'll be given a shot in CF, at some point.

 

Well, if he doesn't stay on the 25 man roster, they could lose him.

 

it doesn't sound like he's going to be ready at the start of the season so I guess they DL him. But then once he's ready they'd pretty much have to call him right up to the bigs I guess. His 2011 season was probably good enough for a jump to the majors, but with all that time off...

 

 

Seems like 2 picks with a fair amount of upside though with Silverio & Lara.

This is the perfect season to waste some at-bats with him.

 

If I'm not mistaken, next year you can send him down and still keep him. Right?

  • Author

This is the perfect season to waste some at-bats with him.

 

If I'm not mistaken, next year you can send him down and still keep him. Right?

 

Right, as long as he spends the entire 2013 season on the major league roster -- he becomes Marlin property.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.