July 26, 201313 yr I am not sure Brantly is the catcher of the future. I dont think that catcher is in the system unless someone like Realmuto figures out how to hit. Not getting back D'Arnaud in the Blue Jay deal was asinine.
July 26, 201313 yr I am not sure Brantly is the catcher of the future. I dont think that catcher is in the system unless someone like Realmuto figures out how to hit. Not getting back D'Arnaud in the Blue Jay deal was asinine. Not really. I think they truly felt Brantly was the hitter he showed them last year. They may have been wrong about that, but I also think it's clear we won the Blue Jays trade the way it is... Had the Jays given us D'Arnaud they would have been absolutely nuts. Not to mention that so far none of the other prospects that we did get have been a disappointment in any way thus far.
July 26, 201313 yr Bender really likes Austin Barnes as he has said to me before: 40 walks to 48 Ks is great. Not Brent Keys ratio great, but still. If Barnes can even hit .260 (which I think is just a slump, he hit .288 in Jamestown and .318 last year in Greensboro), if he can be patient and draw a lot of walks as an eight-hole hitter. He's hitting .274 now and his OBP is .373, that's strong. I could see him being a .280 guy. However, he's still at least two years away. Barnes isn't too bad defensively - he actually played all of last year at second base, I guess since we got Brantly, but now he's moved back to catcher. He could do for throwing out more runners (24% right now), but he's been splitting between catcher and DH. Probably because Wilfredo Gimenez has thrown out 41% of runners (good sample size, too). Thing is, Gimenez can't hit for jack. *shrug* I think Barnes can hit up to 10 homers in the Majors.
July 26, 201313 yr I'm not sold on Barnes at all. Walk rate is nice, but walk rate can't be the only skill in a player. He has absolutely no power. He has a .712 .OPS in A+ ball, and he's old for the level. He's also probably not catching every day because he might be bad back there, which is another reason why Brantly is now a backup catcher in the big leagues. As bad as Brantly is offensively, he's worse defensively. The fact that he's backing up Jeff Mathis on a rebuilding team says a lot about what the organization thinks about Rob Brantly these days. Also, thinking he would continue what he did last year was rather foolish so I hope that that wasn't the reason for not acquiring D'Arnaud (to be fair, I don't know if D'Arnaud is going to be a catcher long-term, anyway).
July 26, 201313 yr I'm not sold on Barnes at all. Walk rate is nice, but walk rate can't be the only skill in a player. He has absolutely no power. He has a .712 .OPS in A+ ball, and he's old for the level. He's also probably not catching every day because he might be bad back there, which is another reason why Brantly is now a backup catcher in the big leagues. As bad as Brantly is offensively, he's worse defensively. The fact that he's backing up Jeff Mathis on a rebuilding team says a lot about what the organization thinks about Rob Brantly these days. Also, thinking he would continue what he did last year was rather foolish so I hope that that wasn't the reason for not acquiring D'Arnaud (to be fair, I don't know if D'Arnaud is going to be a catcher long-term, anyway). Well, I think they didn't acquire him because they couldn't. But it's not like the package we got back has been a disappointment was more my point.
July 26, 201313 yr I'm not sold on Barnes at all. Walk rate is nice, but walk rate can't be the only skill in a player. He has absolutely no power. He has a .712 .OPS in A+ ball, and he's old for the level. I knew that point was coming so I was going to re-edit my original post with more of what Bender has said before, but too late now. "Barnes was drafted at the age of 20 and he's in A+ ball at 23, he's progressing slowly through the levels. People say it's bad that he's 23 in A+ ball, but that's not his fault. If he was 23 in A+ ball and had been in the minors since he was 18, then they'd have more of an argument, I think. Chad James they have a huge argument about, he was drafted and playing at 19, he's 22 now and is back in Greensboro, doing badly, too."
July 26, 201313 yr I'm not sold on Barnes at all. Walk rate is nice, but walk rate can't be the only skill in a player. He has absolutely no power. He has a .712 .OPS in A+ ball, and he's old for the level. He's also probably not catching every day because he might be bad back there, which is another reason why Brantly is now a backup catcher in the big leagues. As bad as Brantly is offensively, he's worse defensively. The fact that he's backing up Jeff Mathis on a rebuilding team says a lot about what the organization thinks about Rob Brantly these days. Also, thinking he would continue what he did last year was rather foolish so I hope that that wasn't the reason for not acquiring D'Arnaud (to be fair, I don't know if D'Arnaud is going to be a catcher long-term, anyway). Mathis has been darn good on defense this season, though. And he's been hitting the ball lately. Defense is alot more importanat at the catcher position than offense. Mathis has been absolutely stellar defensively.
July 26, 201313 yr Author I'm not sold on Barnes at all. Walk rate is nice, but walk rate can't be the only skill in a player. He has absolutely no power. He has a .712 .OPS in A+ ball, and he's old for the level. He's also probably not catching every day because he might be bad back there, which is another reason why Brantly is now a backup catcher in the big leagues. As bad as Brantly is offensively, he's worse defensively. The fact that he's backing up Jeff Mathis on a rebuilding team says a lot about what the organization thinks about Rob Brantly these days. Also, thinking he would continue what he did last year was rather foolish so I hope that that wasn't the reason for not acquiring D'Arnaud (to be fair, I don't know if D'Arnaud is going to be a catcher long-term, anyway). What AH said, and the FSL is a pitcher's league, too. The way I see him, he's a right-handed Brantly with a better eye and better defense. His catching defense has dropped a tad this year, but that's not entirely his fault - they had him playing second base last year for some reason, which is actually an interesting combo and can make for some interesting possibilities in the future. He's hitting better, as of late, but as you said, he doesn't have power. That's fine, catcher isn't a premium power position. With his eye, I could see him being a strong #8 hitter, considering his OBP is close to 100 points higher than his average. If he could get his average up, as well, he could be a #2 hitter, too. I like his patient approach at the plate, and it's not a fluke, either. His career BB/K is 127/136. I'm not 100% sold on him, myself, to be honest, but I do like what I see from him. Plus, the age thing ... explained in my quote that AH so graciously posted.
July 26, 201313 yr Why don't the Marlins just move Barnes back to 2B? I think that's his most natural position. Not to mention he's not that great a backstop, even if they want to utilize his rocket arm there. I want my catcher to be at least very good defensively, even if his offense is alot left to be desired.
July 26, 201313 yr Brantly is a backup catcher long-term unless he improves dramatically. Solano is a utility infielder. Both part of the future, though not necessarily large parts (though marlins will give brantly every opportunity to change that outlook) Anyone talking about Barnes being too old, its not like he's progressing slowly. He's spent a season at each level. And his OBP has been pretty consistent throughout. Theyre probably just not rushing him because they already have realmuto and skipworth (ugh) ahead of him.
July 26, 201313 yr I just dont see Solano having a future as a utility infielder. He can only play one position in the field and he isnt even good there. His bat isnt good enough to keep him in the league.
July 26, 201313 yr As of right now, he's our starting 2B. So it's silly to say that he has absolutely no future with this team.
July 26, 201313 yr Solano has a future here. He really doesnt. I know. But I wanted to see your reaction to that even though you think Brantly has a future here. I hope Solano never leaves.
July 26, 201313 yr Why would you hope that a truly awful baseball player never leaves? He is absolute garbage. And I never said that Brantly has a future on this team. I actually have stated that I doubt he does. Just that he has the potential to be, unlike Solano, who is terrible in every sense of the word. As of right now, he's our starting 2B. So it's silly to say that he has absolutely no future with this team. Not saying much. He is among the worst 2B but he is also the worst starting 2B in baseball. The only ones close to him are similar guys like Emilio Bonifacio who also shouldnt be starting. 27 of the 30 teams in the league have better 2B than Donovan Solano and for those 27 its not even close. He wouldnt even be on the roster of 29 other MLB teams. He is the starting 2B simply because the Marlins are very poor when it comes to planning and roster management. It is embarrassing that a player so bad is the starting 2B of a MLB team.
July 26, 201313 yr Why would you hope that a truly awful baseball player never leaves? He is absolute garbage. And I never said that Brantly has a future on this team. I actually have stated that I doubt he does. Just that he has the potential to be, unlike Solano, who is terrible in every sense of the word. As of right now, he's our starting 2B. So it's silly to say that he has absolutely no future with this team. Not saying much. He is among the worst 2B but he is also the worst starting 2B in baseball. The only ones close to him are similar guys like Emilio Bonifacio who also shouldnt be starting. 27 of the 30 teams in the league have better 2B than Donovan Solano and for those 27 its not even close. He wouldnt even be on the roster of 29 other MLB teams. He is the starting 2B simply because the Marlins are very poor when it comes to planning and roster management. It is embarrassing that a player so bad is the starting 2B of a MLB team. Once again, you're making him out to be the worst thing since the last time someone took a shit, but either way... It's very possible that Dietrich doesn't improve and it's likely that Loria isn't going to spend money to sign a 2B. Thus, Solano, at this point, is an option to start at 2B next year again. That would mean he has a future with the team.
July 26, 201313 yr Brantly > Solano (in terms of potential). But, Brantly has looked real dismal this season, both offensively and defensively. Hence, why he's compared to Solano. Solano has no real potential. As others mentioned, look no further than a utility player as a contribution to this team future.
July 26, 201313 yr Why would you hope that a truly awful baseball player never leaves? He is absolute garbage. And I never said that Brantly has a future on this team. I actually have stated that I doubt he does. Just that he has the potential to be, unlike Solano, who is terrible in every sense of the word. As of right now, he's our starting 2B. So it's silly to say that he has absolutely no future with this team. Not saying much. He is among the worst 2B but he is also the worst starting 2B in baseball. The only ones close to him are similar guys like Emilio Bonifacio who also shouldnt be starting. 27 of the 30 teams in the league have better 2B than Donovan Solano and for those 27 its not even close. He wouldnt even be on the roster of 29 other MLB teams. He is the starting 2B simply because the Marlins are very poor when it comes to planning and roster management. It is embarrassing that a player so bad is the starting 2B of a MLB team. Once again, you're making him out to be the worst thing since the last time someone took a s***, but either way... It's very possible that Dietrich doesn't improve and it's likely that Loria isn't going to spend money to sign a 2B. Thus, Solano, at this point, is an option to start at 2B next year again. That would mean he has a future with the team. Fair enough. And that is very sad. Its disgusting watching Solano start. Like mindblowingly bad, you wonder how a professional baseball franchise allows that to happen.
July 26, 201313 yr Why would you hope that a truly awful baseball player never leaves? He is absolute garbage. And I never said that Brantly has a future on this team. I actually have stated that I doubt he does. Just that he has the potential to be, unlike Solano, who is terrible in every sense of the word. As of right now, he's our starting 2B. So it's silly to say that he has absolutely no future with this team. Not saying much. He is among the worst 2B but he is also the worst starting 2B in baseball. The only ones close to him are similar guys like Emilio Bonifacio who also shouldnt be starting. 27 of the 30 teams in the league have better 2B than Donovan Solano and for those 27 its not even close. He wouldnt even be on the roster of 29 other MLB teams. He is the starting 2B simply because the Marlins are very poor when it comes to planning and roster management. It is embarrassing that a player so bad is the starting 2B of a MLB team. Once again, you're making him out to be the worst thing since the last time someone took a s***, but either way... It's very possible that Dietrich doesn't improve and it's likely that Loria isn't going to spend money to sign a 2B. Thus, Solano, at this point, is an option to start at 2B next year again. That would mean he has a future with the team. Fair enough. And that is very sad. Its disgusting watching Solano start. Like mindblowingly bad, you wonder how a professional baseball franchise allows that to happen. I don't disagree with you in a way, but I kinda just don't get it either. You do realize that this team had an aging Juan Pierre and Placido Polanco hitting at the top of the order this year, right? Adeiny Hechavarria plays every day for this team. You never say anything about that. Jeff Mathis is the starting catcher. Ed Lucas plays every day...AND HE'S HITTING 4TH TONIGHT! You never say much about those things. Those are "sad," as well. (Hechavarria maybe not so much, but he's had an awful year despite how much people want to overrate him at this point)
July 26, 201313 yr Because its clear to see Ed Lucas isnt in the organizations long term plans. Jeff Mathis hopefully only has one year left. Hechavarria at least has potential with the bat. The difference is that the Marlins seem to be enamored with Donovan Solano. Despite being among the worst hitters in baseball for the first 30 games of the year, it took him getting injured before they would even consider removing him from the lineup. There wasnt even a competition for the 2B job in spring training. If they fell in love with his production last year that is absolutely absurd because you could tell from him being just an abysmal hitter in the minors with no power and almost refusing to draw walks, and who was released as a minor leaguer from an organization in dire need of middle infielders, that he had no chance at sustaining those #s or anything even close to them. This organization loves Donovan Solano and it is mindboggling.
July 26, 201313 yr Because its clear to see Ed Lucas isnt in the organizations long term plans. I don't think that's clear at all. They pretty much seem to like him as much as they like Solano.
July 26, 201313 yr Because its clear to see Ed Lucas isnt in the organizations long term plans. I don't think that's clear at all. They pretty much seem to like him as much as they like Solano. I also think it's clear Lucas is a pretty valuable utility player. At least IMO. Not often you get a guy that can play every IF position pretty well and hit OK off the bench.
July 26, 201313 yr Why would you hope that a truly awful baseball player never leaves? He is absolute garbage. And I never said that Brantly has a future on this team. I actually have stated that I doubt he does. Just that he has the potential to be, unlike Solano, who is terrible in every sense of the word. Because I see how much he gets under your skin. It's entertaining.
July 26, 201313 yr Wanting to keep an awful player on the roster simply to spite someone is lunacy. I, too, hope he stays with us forever
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.