Trae Turner or Jacob Gatewood?

Eddie Altamonte

Looking forward to the 2014 MLB Draft it appears we will end up with the 2nd overall pick. considering what we already have coming up through our farm system at this moment, the 2 prospects that may best fill a talent void at SS/3rd base are Trae Turner from NC State and Jacob Gatewood Clovis HS (Ca) they both project as excellent defenders but Gatewood because of his size and power may be better served moving to 3rd base . Turner projects as a 50 + base stealer per year and those do not come to often and has decent pop at the plate...I am very much intrigued with Gatewood but last year we drafted Moran and we really don't have a base stealer in our system anywhere near Turner's potential

but then again what if Gatewood is kept at SS? That kind of power is rare from the SS position consider Cal Ripkin, Barry Larkin, Alex Rodriguez or Hanley Ramirez type of power

My first choice would but Turner but then again...

Where do you find this information for players who could be drafted?

And if we got Trae Turner, that would allow us to:

A) Move Yelich out of the leadoff spot [which isn't really a bad thing, but imagine the lineup depth]

B) Get Hech's bat out of the lineup

Is Turner a lefty, righty, switch?

A) Move Yelich out of the leadoff spot [which isn't really a bad thing, but imagine the lineup depth]

Some info from Baseball America's website (free section)

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/ask-ba-2014-draft-top-prospects/

Personally I like Nola, but lots of good players to choose from, plus A Lot could change before next June

Some info from Baseball America's website (free section)

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/ask-ba-2014-draft-top-prospects/

Personally I like Nola, but lots of good players to choose from, plus A Lot could change before next June

I like Nola, myself. I've been saying if we can't get Rodon, Nola would be a good consolation prize.

However, Trae Turner sounds like a pretty good option, as well, and if we can get him and have Hech out of the lineup, then that'd be great.

It's really premature to be thinking about either of those. Any drafted player would be years away from the majors and a lot can happen between now and then.

It's really premature to be thinking about either of those. Any drafted player would be years away from the majors and a lot can happen between now and then.

Yes, I know, and I'm not saying "put him in the lineup tomorrow." Just more, if he panned out, those two things would happen.

Yes, I know, and I'm not saying "put him in the lineup tomorrow." Just more, if he panned out, those two things would happen.

Not necessarily, though. Hechavarria will have sunk or swam by the time a new draftee is ready. The Marlins could also acquire another lead-off type hitter in the meantime. A lot of things can happen.

Not necessarily, though. Hechavarria will have sunk or swam by the time a new draftee is ready. The Marlins could also acquire another lead-off type hitter in the meantime. A lot of things can happen.

This is true.

Hech could also be moved to second base. He's played limited time there in the Majors and Minors.

Yelich could also excel leading off and thus not be moved from there, making Turner a #2 hitter [or whatever]. If he panned out.

Basically, "if."

The current Marlins middle infield of Solano and Hechavarria will sadly probably still be the starting Marlins middle infield 3 years from now. The FO refuses to admit mistakes(Hechavarria) and they love Solano despite him being beyond awful.

Oh my god, shut up about this. They will not BOTH be starting in three years. They won't both be starting in 7 months. [in case you're wondering, that's April]

Does anyone else find it odd that we're discussing where, when and at what slot in the lineup a player we haven't even drafted yet will play 4 years from now?

NO! These are the same people who like to discuss how "we'll" sign McCann or Cano!!!! But its nice to think about where the team could be at in the coming years if everyone develops at the same time

Does anyone else find it odd that we're discussing where, when and at what slot in the lineup a player we haven't even drafted yet will play 4 years from now?

NO! These are the same people who like to discuss how "we'll" sign McCann or Cano!!!! But its nice to think about where the team could be at in the coming years if everyone develops at the same time

I mean, I think discussing where McCann would fit next year is a bit more relevant since there's an off chance that we'll go after him. This is just madness

It's all hypothetical situations based on what we do know. That's it. Obviously nothing is in stone. And this is a "discussion forum," keyword "discussion." We've gotta talk about the future of the team, that's the only bright spot besides Fernandez this year.

Well, if you want to get technical this is a minor league forum and these guys aren't even minor league players.

They're hypothetical situations based majorly on a lot of things you don't know, really.

It's all hypothetical situations based on what we do know. That's it. Obviously nothing is in stone. And this is a "discussion forum," keyword "discussion." We've gotta talk about the future of the team, that's the only bright spot besides Fernandez this year.

Well, if you want to get technical this is a minor league forum and these guys aren't even minor league players.

They're hypothetical situations based majorly on a lot of things you don't know, really.

"What we do know" allows for a lot of variables, including the unknown.

Why are you nitpicking? It's really not a big deal. These could be a pair of options to draft next season, it's a hypothetical on where they could go based on their current abilities, assuming they progress properly. That's it. I'm not saying, "yeah, we're drafting this guy and in 2016 he'll be our #2 hitter." No, I'm listing a possibility.

If I want to get really technical, these are two future minor league players, thus they're discussed in the minor league forums.

"What we do know" allows for a lot of variables, including the unknown.

Why are you nitpicking? It's really not a big deal. These could be a pair of options to draft next season, it's a hypothetical on where they could go based on their current abilities, assuming they progress properly. That's it. I'm not saying, "yeah, we're drafting this guy and in 2016 he'll be our #2 hitter." No, I'm listing a possibility.

If I want to get really technical, these are two future minor league players, thus they're discussed in the minor league forums.

It's not really a big deal. You've written more than twice as much as I have in our back-and-forth.

And I understand what you're discussing. I just find it odd. You can do whatever you'd like, though. I'm doing whatever I like by calling it odd.

and I think your last sentence would be getting less technical, not more.

There is no way of knowing what the Marlins will do in the draft....when they selected Fernandez in the draft I thought he would not be an impact prospect (Goes to show that how much I know!) I don't think anyone projected him to be this good this fast...We go by what we read online, most of whom barely ever seen these kids if at all. It doesn't stop me from spending hours on end online to try to see who will be tomorrow stars. These kids all have a way to go before anyone will give them HOF consideration...However talent is seen very early.

BTW The Marlins need SS and 3rd basemans and these kids are rated as being the best