Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Marlins to sign Furcal

Featured Replies

Why does everyone keep wondering who will be playing third base? It sure as hell won't be Solano.

 

Probably because there's no one in the organization capable of playing it short-term.Yup Moran is a good year away at least. Need to sign somebody or stuck with the Dietrich/Solano platoon of goodness

No need for a platoon, Dietrich seems to hit lefties OK.Wow, I was actually about to attempt to statistically refute that last line, but you're not wrong! :eek:

Looking at the stats, he was actually abysmal against righties.

He hit righties fine until he hit that slump. I'm really not as worried as everyone else seems to be.

Such a stupid signing. This team is run by a bunch of idiots

 

I actually really like the signing. This team was really missing someone that is capable of batting second behind Yelich, and Furcal is really a perfect fit. Not to mention watching Hech and Furcal turn two will be fun to watch.I would much rather see Solano or Dietrich. Just seems like a waste of money. Doesn't really make us much better

Exactly $3m (with incentives).

Good call on the $3m, Bender!

Thanks, Bender.

 

Also, it's a stopgap style signing. Don't look too much into it. One year, big whoop.

I would much rather see Solano or Dietrich. Just seems like a waste of money. Doesn't really make us much better

 

You're still going to see Dietrich, just at third base. We needed a power bat at third... we got one.

Exactly $3m (with incentives).

Good call on the $3m, Bender!

Thanks, Bender.

 

Also, it's a stopgap style signing. Don't look too much into it. One year, big whoop.

good call senor bender

Exactly $3m (with incentives).

Good call on the $3m, Bender!

Thanks, Bender.

 

Also, it's a stopgap style signing. Don't look too much into it. One year, big whoop.

You know I just realized that you are straight edge but have the forum name of the exact opposite. Wtf.Bite my shiny metal ass.

Sir.

 

(And yes, I guess that is oxymoronical)

In all honesty I'd rather give Solano the chance than put Furcal out of position after he's had major surgery

I stand corrected.. Apologies wild Card.. By the way I totally forgot about Ed Lucas.. lol

How can you forget about Ed Lucas? He adjusted to the league.

I stand corrected.. Apologies wild Card.. By the way I totally forgot about Ed Lucas.. lol

 

Who will end up being Dietrich's platoon partner if he can't hit lefties like he did this year.

Dietrich is a power hitting 2nd baseman. At third base he's got average to below average power.

 

Furcal at 2B and Dietrich at 3B doesn't make this team better. With this current lineup we'd likely still be far below average offensively and may not be able to hit 100 home runs AGAIN.

 

I understood a stopgap at 3B. Somebody like Eric Chavez or even a Brandon Inge might've been fine. Furcal is just Juan Pierre at 2nd base. I doubt Furcal makes it to August as an everyday starter.

Dietrich is a power hitting 2nd baseman. At third base he's got average to below average power.

 

Furcal at 2B and Dietrich at 3B doesn't make this team better. With this current lineup we'd likely still be far below average offensively and may not be able to hit 100 home runs AGAIN.

 

I understood a stopgap at 3B. Somebody like Eric Chavez or even a Brandon Inge might've been fine. Furcal is just Juan Pierre at 2nd base. I doubt Furcal makes it to August as an everyday starter.

Furcal DOES make the team better. Does he make it great? No, but he is absolutely better than Donovan Solano, offensively and defensively.

 

Furcal is nothing like Pierre. He has always had decent pop.

Furcal is here to play second base and hit second. I don't know that he will have the power that he used to but he does make solid contact, and doesn't strikeout a lot. He's always been a decent on base guy also. He is better than Solano who should only be a utility player. The obvious strategy the Marlins are employing is to try to improve the offense without giving up our young pitching. I think that is a sound strategy. I think they will do something similar at 3rb base and give Dietrich at least a half season in AAA. Some of you are never happy. You complain that the FO never has a plan or a clue, but now that they seem to have one they are still stupid.

Furcal is here to play second base and hit second. I don't know that he will have the power that he used to but he does make solid contact, and doesn't strikeout a lot. He's always been a decent on base guy also. He is better than Solano who should only be a utility player. The obvious strategy the Marlins are employing is to try to improve the offense without giving up our young pitching. I think that is a sound strategy. I think they will do something similar at 3rb base and give Dietrich at least a half season in AAA. Some of you are never happy. You complain that the FO never has a plan or a clue, but now that they seem to have one they are still stupid.

 

I agree 100%, with your opinion and the Marlins strategy.

Dietrich is a power hitting 2nd baseman. At third base he's got average to below average power.

 

Furcal at 2B and Dietrich at 3B doesn't make this team better. With this current lineup we'd likely still be far below average offensively and may not be able to hit 100 home runs AGAIN.

 

I understood a stopgap at 3B. Somebody like Eric Chavez or even a Brandon Inge might've been fine. Furcal is just Juan Pierre at 2nd base. I doubt Furcal makes it to August as an everyday starter.

Furcal DOES make the team better. Does he make it great? No, but he is absolutely better than Donovan Solano, offensively and defensively.

 

Furcal is nothing like Pierre. He has always had decent pop.

Furcal had a grand total of 26 XBH's in 477 AB's the last time he played regularly. He had even less the year before with the Dodgers.

 

Furcal has no power. Every player in the league has more power than Pierre, but that doesn't mean Furcal has any real power at all.

 

And this isn't about Solano. Solano shouldn't be starting everyday and Dietrich would've been the starting 2B without a Furcal signing (we'd find a 3B somewhere, any likely still will).

 

Furcal hasn't been a good player since 2010. We can't justify useless signings because our bad starting 2B (Solano) last season is SLIGHTLY worse than the bad starting 2B we just signed.

 

It's a dumb signing, plain and simple. It's especially dumb since we're not going to be good next year. When you suck as a team, you start your younger players and see what you have with them. THAT is how you do a rebuild.

As for the good on base thing with Furcal.

 

2012: .325 OBP

2011: .298 OBP

 

Uh...This is the part where I say you can't judge players because there past was awesome. I can say "hey, Furcal was awesome when he was younger and playing for the Dodgers/Braves" and I would be right. I'd also be right saying "hey, Furcal is 36 years old, coming off a serious injury, and hasn't been anything resembling a good player since 2010".

Dietrich is a power hitting 2nd baseman. At third base he's got average to below average power.

 

Furcal at 2B and Dietrich at 3B doesn't make this team better. With this current lineup we'd likely still be far below average offensively and may not be able to hit 100 home runs AGAIN.

 

I understood a stopgap at 3B. Somebody like Eric Chavez or even a Brandon Inge might've been fine. Furcal is just Juan Pierre at 2nd base. I doubt Furcal makes it to August as an everyday starter.

Furcal DOES make the team better. Does he make it great? No, but he is absolutely better than Donovan Solano, offensively and defensively.

 

Furcal is nothing like Pierre. He has always had decent pop.

Furcal had a grand total of 26 XBH's in 477 AB's the last time he played regularly. He had even less the year before with the Dodgers.

 

Furcal has no power. Every player in the league has more power than Pierre, but that doesn't mean Furcal has any real power at all.

 

And this isn't about Solano. Solano shouldn't be starting everyday and Dietrich would've been the starting 2B without a Furcal signing (we'd find a 3B somewhere, any likely still will).

 

Furcal hasn't been a good player since 2010. We can't justify useless signings because our bad starting 2B (Solano) last season is SLIGHTLY worse than the bad starting 2B we just signed.

 

It's a dumb signing, plain and simple. It's especially dumb since we're not going to be good next year. When you suck as a team, you start your younger players and see what you have with them. THAT is how you do a rebuild.

If Dietrich doesn't start at third after this move, I am right there with you. However if he does, this makes sense and I am for it. That's why I believe they're probably done with ML contracts, just ST invites from here on out.

I hate Dietrich as a 3rd baseman. It's in the same vein of the talk of putting Coghlan at 3B not too long ago. Put players where they are likely to thrive. Dietrich doesn't belong at 3rd base. It's stupid that Diietrich can't mature at his natural position because we have to give playing time to a 36 year old has been (sorry Furcal, but that's what you are).

A Chavez/Lucas platoon at 3rd base would have been better than Furcal at 2nd and Dietrich at 3rd. Or trading for Middlebrooks. Or Uribe, even as a last resort on a 2 year deal.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.