Buster Olney's predictions for the Marlins this year

poptart

75-81 wins.

I'd like to say this is an exclusive for my new Florida Sports site, but I just started it yesterday and I'm still working out the kinks of web design.

flprosports.com

(if anyone is interested in helping out / writing, PM)

The exclusive from Buster! Nice.

Why does the tweet mention that the Marlins share a spring training facility with the Cardinals? :lol

Didn't get why that was included in the question either. BUT (And a bit off topic) This facility may be just a short term thing as of now. If a couple more teams don't come to Palm Beach or neighboring counties, the Marlins and Cards have the right to also move. It's about closeness of other teams to cut down on travel during ST. Right now the Astros, Nats, and (long shot) Blue Jays are looking into 3 proposed sites here. One is about 5 minutes from me @ John Prince Park. Palm Beach Post had an article on this one last week. A very serious one in Palm Beach Gardens (minutes from Roger Dean) was shot down recently because of the residents concerns about traffic, etc. IMO, pretty short sighted by the residents there.

That'd be kinda dumb. Where else is hot enough for spring training? Cuba, PR?

PR sounds great. I just don't like how a state where both MLB teams have chronic attendance problems is also the one that has about 8-10 little spring training ballparks sprinkled around it.

Bring Spring Training to California! I live three miles from Dodger Stadium but I just can't get into the team. The Los Angeles Trouts of Hamilton are my wife's team, but I'm not a huge fan. Plenty of minor league stadiums around that would be great for spring ball!

EDIT: You know, because a state with five teams definitely needs more baseball.

Yes, or at the very least makes it difficult for these transplants to adopt a new team.

Interesting. The parks also could be said to drum up interest in baseball generally, at least some portion of which is funneled toward the local teams. Hard to say exactly how it all balances out.

Yes, or at the very least makes it difficult for these transplants to adopt a new team.

Ridiculous. The Marlins don't draw for three reasons. One, they haven't consistently put out a good product. Two, ownership has thoroughly alienated the potential fanbase. Three, South Florida is filled to the brim with transplants who retain their loyalties to the teams they grew up with. Spring training teams in Florida don't affect any of the above reasons for the Marlins' non support.

This shouldn't transform into why the Marlins don't draw well. Let's get back to why ST should stay here. The biggest reason is the $$$ it brings into the state. I could care in the least how many transplants are here, or where their loyalties are. Irrelevant. This state is sustained on tourism. Come on down and take out your wallets. We accept all major credit cards.

Of course we could tell those people we don't want "their kind" here any more. But that would mean we would have to get that income from someplace else. Like higher taxes and a state income tax. But at least we wouldn't have those darned transplants here. Of course those darned transplants most likely include your parents and/or their parents.

3 reasons and that's it! No other reasons.

(And the last of your 3 unquestionable truths coincides with what I'm saying.)

You are assuming that easy access to your hometown team's Spring Training encourages fans to stick with their hometown team and not turn into Marlins fans. I don't think Spring Training access makes any difference.

For example, Transplanted Chicago fans swarm Marlins Park every time the Cubs come to town. But the Cubs go to Arizona for Spring Training, so Florida - resident Cubs fans have very limited access to Cubs Spring Training. But they've stayed Cubs fans nonetheless.

Spring Training brings loads of cash to Florida and I cannot imagine any sort of negative impact on the Marlins.

The only potential argument is that baseball fans might spend their disposable income on games in March and have no remaining money to spend come April. But I doubt that argument is supported by any empirical evidence. For one thing, the closest Spring Training facility is over 80 miles away from Marlins Park. Given the distance, I don't imagine that there are too many people who regularly go to both Marlins and Spring Training games.

Spring Training doesn't affect fan interest. It's so short compared to the major league or minor league season that I can't imagine people can get that invested in baseball where until the last week of ST most people don't even know who the players are on the field.

I mean the closest ST facility to Miami is all the way up in North PBC, or across the state in Ft. Myers. Neither is anywhere near the city. I think a bigger part of the problem is that we have a lot of transplants in FL from other states, and as a result you end up with a lot of Yankees or Mets fans who have no interest in the Marlins. Well that and we've made the playoffs twice in 20 years and blow up the team every 3-4 years.

I can't see why loyalty to another team is such a problem to some. Look at it the other way around. If your job (or whatever) had you move to another state, would you then become a fan of the nearest team or would you remain a Marlins fan? Would you like to go to a game and be told you weren't wanted there because you are a transplant?

Then there are those that go to games just because they love baseball. Dosen't matter who is playing. See alot of that at ST games.

And then it's back to the tons of $$$ ST brings into our state..............I don't want to see the Cards and Marlins move out of PBC. And that is a real possibility. I prefer a couple more teams move in. Or at least nearer. The more the merrier.