Arison interested in buying Marlins

And yet another lie. It seems a lot of things are beyond you, outside of falsehoods.

The Marlins didn't draw 27K/game. Total attendance was 1,586,322, which is 19,584/game. So says baseball-reference and ESPN. Only CLE (by about 150/game) and TBR (by about 950/game) were lower.

Do you just make everything up as you go along?

He wasn't lying. He was obviously referring to year 1 in the new place and the justification that 27,000 was not good enough to support even a moderate, mid level payroll for 2013. Again, you can look at the same reference you are providing and you will see countless teams in the same range at the 2012 Marlins who did not run and create a bargain operation. Hey, the moves made could turn out to be very good for our future team, but only if we sustain and build on it. I referenced the Mariners at mid 21,000 in attendance who went out and got Cano, paid King Felix etc. It is not the attendance that causes the methodology of this franchise, that should be clear by now.

Sorry, I'm not an accountant and I've been retired for 3 decades. Since I was 30. From a business I created from zero.

Your most telling words were these: "with the parents money of course." That sums it all up.

99% of kids never see Billy in person unless their parents paid to take them to a game. Not that Billy matters past the age of 5 or 6 or 7. Their market is adults who can pay for tickets. The kiddie impression of Billy may work 20 or 30 years later, but the real purpose of Billy is to give parents a reason to take the kids along to the game -- he's something that might interest the really young ones. I say that because all mascots are a waste of time to anyone over the age of 7 or so. They're there for the kids. Who are brought -- and paid for -- by their parents.

This isn't really news.

Arison is interested in buying the Marlins. He has more money than Eastern European governments. Loria is not willing to sell.

I am interested in buying the Marlins. My income is closer to that of Eastern European peasants than it is to Arison's. Loria is not willing to sell.

Just as newsworthy.

The Heat, from top to bottom, are one of the best organizations in all of sports. They are a first class business, who treats everyone like family. They are as stable and loyal as it comes to South Florida sports teams, and have given the other teams here the perfect blueprint to success. The two championships the Marlins won are accomplishments, but the greatest day in team history would be Arison buying the team.

5 year-olds determine their parents' sports spending patterns?

Kids have some (minor) influence on parents' spending, sure. Mascots are directed at the parents as a reason to bring the kids. Oh, look! There's Billy the Marlin! Of course the Marlins realize that a kid may love the mascot and have some influence on the parent. You, for instance. Which is fine. But, no matter how you cut it, it's still the adult that calls the tune. And spending on mascots doesn't amount to a hill of beans. A mascot ain't a long-term marketing plan. Or a plan at all. 5 or 7 or even 9 year-olds don't really count in the grand scheme of things -- the parents actually spending the money do.

The only exception I can think of is the Philly Phanatic. Appeals to kids and adults, does stupid and crazy stuff and is a classic mascot. Now, there's a decent marketing idea, or at least good publicity. But, I doubt that anyone could prove that the Phanatic is responsible for even 1% of ticket sales. Probably closer to zero.

And, Billy ain't no Phanatic.

And yet another lie. It seems a lot of things are beyond you, outside of falsehoods.

The Marlins didn't draw 27K/game. Total attendance was 1,586,322, which is 19,584/game. So says baseball-reference and ESPN. Only CLE (by about 150/game) and TBR (by about 950/game) were lower.

and the payrolls of CLE ($87.3m) and TBR ($71.1m) were much, much higher. and they both made the playoffs.

Rubbish. Nobody, other than you disputes that Loria cares a lot about winning. Not even the vicious local media.

What is your definition of caring about winning?

Loria cares about winning in the same sense that someone who doesn't maintain their car with routine checkups, oil changes, car washes, tire rotations, and the sort cares about their car. You can say he cares about winning all you want, but the reality is he doesn't. He puts a million other priorities first. He's a fan of baseball, sure, but he's not a good owner, bottom line.