Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Favorite Books?

Featured Replies

I've been a lot more into reading lately. In the past month and a half I've read The Fault In Our Stars, To Kill A Mockingbird (Never read the whole thing in High School), Moneyball and re-read The Great Gatsby.

I'd have to say Gatsby is still one of my all time favorites, right behind the Harry Potter series.

 

What are the best books you've ever read and what are your personal favorites?

 

Also what are some books you'd recommend?

I really liked The Fountainhead

 

Also, Fahrenheit 411, 1984, The Plague, The Incredible Lightness of Being. I can't think of any more right now, but that's a pretty good list.

 

Also, I haven't read Kafka but from what I hear, I'd love his stuff. Look into him too.

My favorite author is Kurt Vonnegut, I've read all of his books. I would probably have a really hard time choosing a favorite, but for anyone who hasn't read anything by him yet, don't start with Slaughterhouse Five (it's a great book, but it isn't representative of his style)

  • Author

My favorite author is Kurt Vonnegut, I've read all of his books. I would probably have a really hard time choosing a favorite, but for anyone who hasn't read anything by him yet, don't start with Slaughterhouse Five (it's a great book, but it isn't representative of his style)

 

My english professor last semester actually recommend me to read Slaughterhouse Five. Which one would you recommend starting with instead?

  • Author

I really liked The Fountainhead

 

Also, Fahrenheit 411, 1984, The Plague, The Incredible Lightness of Being. I can't think of any more right now, but that's a pretty good list.

 

Also, I haven't read Kafka but from what I hear, I'd love his stuff. Look into him too.

 

How's 1984, it's on my list

My english professor last semester actually recommend me to read Slaughterhouse Five. Which one would you recommend starting with instead?

Cat's Cradle is widely considered his best book, and I can't disagree with that. Sirens of Titan is also awesome, but so are all of his other books. So yeah: Cat's Cradle.

  • Author

Want a really long, old but very eye opening book to read? Read the bible like a book. I've done it a coupe times. Crazy s*** in there. Also plenty of contradictions that will have you rereading parts of it to confirm.

 

I really don't think I could do that. You're a crazy person

  • Author

If you approach it like you would fiction, it becomes mildly interesting to very interesting depending on how religious you are.

 

I'm not religious in the slightest bit. Maybe one day if i'm bored in a hotel.

I'm sure we can all guess which book I've read last-

 

It was a nice read, wish it said more about his trade and time with the Marlins.

I quite enjoyed Darkly Dreaming Dexter. I'm currently making my way through Concorida: The Lutheran Confessions.

The Demon Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark by Carl Sagan

 

It is essentially the bible of my religion. Scientific skepticism.

Read the bible like people have said here... then read 'Drunk with Blood: God's killings in the bible' by Wells.

 

Enjoy.

I really liked The Fountainhead

 

Also, Fahrenheit 411, 1984, The Plague, The Incredible Lightness of Being. I can't think of any more right now, but that's a pretty good list.

 

Also, I haven't read Kafka but from what I hear, I'd love his stuff. Look into him too.

 

I think you mean unbearable lightness of being. Great book and movie is awesome too (young naked juliette binoche yes and please). The book of Laughter and Forgetting is also a great Kundera book (I think I like it more than unbearable, but that could be because I've read it more recently). You should def check out Kafka. The short stories are so so good and so is the Trial even though it was never really finished and no one really knows how the chapters were supposed to go.

 

Catch 22 is probably my favorite book of all time. Blood Meridian is way up there. Stars my Destination (Alfred Bester) is really awesome pop-literary-sci-fi and also one of my favorites. Always love some Pynchon or Murakami. I've really been on a big Raymond Chandler kick (Big Sleep, Long Goodbye, Lady in the Lake) lately. There's a lot!

I think you mean unbearable lightness of being. Great book and movie is awesome too (young naked juliette binoche yes and please). The book of Laughter and Forgetting is also a great Kundera book (I think I like it more than unbearable, but that could be because I've read it more recently). You should def check out Kafka. The short stories are so so good and so is the Trial even though it was never really finished and no one really knows how the chapters were supposed to go.

 

Catch 22 is probably my favorite book of all time. Blood Meridian is way up there. Stars my Destination (Alfred Bester) is really awesome pop-literary-sci-fi and also one of my favorites. Always love some Pynchon or Murakami. I've really been on a big Raymond Chandler kick (Big Sleep, Long Goodbye, Lady in the Lake) lately. There's a lot!

Now I'm thinking we should smoke instead of grabbing a beer.

  • Author

I think you mean unbearable lightness of being. Great book and movie is awesome too (young naked juliette binoche yes and please). The book of Laughter and Forgetting is also a great Kundera book (I think I like it more than unbearable, but that could be because I've read it more recently). You should def check out Kafka. The short stories are so so good and so is the Trial even though it was never really finished and no one really knows how the chapters were supposed to go.

 

Catch 22 is probably my favorite book of all time. Blood Meridian is way up there. Stars my Destination (Alfred Bester) is really awesome pop-literary-sci-fi and also one of my favorites. Always love some Pynchon or Murakami. I've really been on a big Raymond Chandler kick (Big Sleep, Long Goodbye, Lady in the Lake) lately. There's a lot!

 

CATCH 22! I want to read that so badly. Heard nothing but good things, just need to get my hands on a copy.

I think you mean unbearable lightness of being. Great book and movie is awesome too (young naked juliette binoche yes and please). The book of Laughter and Forgetting is also a great Kundera book (I think I like it more than unbearable, but that could be because I've read it more recently). You should def check out Kafka. The short stories are so so good and so is the Trial even though it was never really finished and no one really knows how the chapters were supposed to go.

 

Catch 22 is probably my favorite book of all time. Blood Meridian is way up there. Stars my Destination (Alfred Bester) is really awesome pop-literary-sci-fi and also one of my favorites. Always love some Pynchon or Murakami. I've really been on a big Raymond Chandler kick (Big Sleep, Long Goodbye, Lady in the Lake) lately. There's a lot!

 

I do. Even as I read the book and the title was staring me right in the face, I kept getting it wrong. It just stuck, and it's not the first time I've made the mistake

Want a really long, old but very eye opening book to read? Read the bible like a book. I've done it a coupe times. Crazy s*** in there. Also plenty of contradictions that will have you rereading parts of it to confirm.

I took a "Bible as Literature" class in college.

 

Shit got heated, as you might expect.

I really liked The Fountainhead

 

Also, Fahrenheit 411, 1984, The Plague, The Incredible Lightness of Being. I can't think of any more right now, but that's a pretty good list.

 

Also, I haven't read Kafka but from what I hear, I'd love his stuff. Look into him too.

I recall reading The Fountainhead in college and liked it. Little discovery into Ayn Rand world.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.